Fly Tying
VERN-O

Which do you prefer

Pedestal vs. C-clamp  

323 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am with the both guys..................... :P When traveling or at a show and dont know what to expect as far as the table goes I use a handmade solid brass base that is set on a rosewood base total weight 7 lbs. All my home tying is on Dyna king professional with the C clamp, never had a problem with it moving

Mike............................. B)

Pedestal, because I, too, tie in various circumstances that don't lend themselve well to clamp use.

Bill

Pedestal. I like the peak base one its huge and white. 2 the second shaft is great for freeing up the tying space form things like the back plate the trash bag and the bobbin holder.

post-2608-1206127183_thumb.jpg

post-2608-1206127229_thumb.jpg

When I do shows I use a pair of Crown Vises. Same as a Regal but 1/3 the price. However, the jaws will not hold hooks larger than a #1.

For smaller flies I use a Traveler with the midge jaws.

C-Clamp at home.When im at my fly fishing-hunting camp, pedastal.

shane

The c-clamp because I can use a lap extension. Lap extension=comfortable position in your chair. Lean back, lean back. Lean back, lean back.

I use the pedistal when I am doing things that don't require a really good tug or tension....Spinning hair requires me to use the clamp.

I began using my fingers as a vice and can still tie very small flies this way, even on the stream. Never have cared for the clamp models but that is all we had many years ago and I've grown to appreciate the pedistal models more.

You guys need to try a lap extension. Well worth the investment.

I agree with the extension off the c-clamp. I prefer the clamp hands down because it doesn't move when you're tying. Even if you do have a heavy base, it still moves and isn't sturdy enough for my taste. Not only that, but your sitting up to high it creates a uncomfortable position to whip out dozens of flies in one sitting. If you don't tie alot, then I don't think it matters all that much. In my opinion, tying should be with no strain at all and the extension takes care of that. I also believe that it's easier to look down on the fly so you see the whole fly on both sides then having it up on the table and only really seeing the one side (unless you have a rotary). Just my two cents….