Fly Tying
WataugaFishin

Your most simple yet most effective fly for trout

Ok Gents,

Newbie here has a question........

Been tying a while but I am not the worlds greatest tyer. Furthermore because of my hectic schedule I would rather spend my free time fishin' instead of tyin'. So I like simple flies that I can tie quick and easy.

I am sure that you fellers have a vast repertoire of such trout morsels...

So what is your most simple to tie...but yet most effective trout fly?

Anxiously awaiting.........

Bobby

Simple Zebra midge works best for me. I have several different colors I carry. They have caught fish wherever I used them. Most productive has been a brown thread and black uni-wire rib and a black bead-head.

Mike

If you have a Sulphur hatch where you are then a sulphur emerger is a great effective pattern. Tie in pheasant tail so the tips make the tail, take the leftover tag ends of the pheasant and wrap the body. CDC tuft for the wing and then use a little sulphur orange or yellow dubbing for the head. Super simple, super effective. -Jamie

Without adoubt for me it would be a sucker spwan, I catch 85% of my fish on it and it takes longer to tie on than to tie.

That's easy. Caddis larvae. Curved hook, copper or gold bead and some dubbing. Full up versions can be tied with ribbing, legs and a different color right behind the bead, but they can be deleted and still yield an effective fly.

I use it more for warm water, but a lot of folks who chase trout swear by it. The Green Weenie. It's about the simplest pattern going.

All you need is a hook and some chartruese medium chenille. Use a black beadhead if you want to add weight. Legs are optional.

The basic Green Weenie.

Hook: size 10 to 14 1 XL

Thread: Chartruese

Body and Tail: Medium Chartruese chenille

1. Wrap a base of thread on the hook, then tie in a piece of chenille bringing the thread to the back of the hook.

2. Form a small loop with the chenille, and secure with a couple of wraps of thread.

3. Bring the thread forward, leaving space for a small head.

4. Wrap the chenille forward, secure, trim excess, and build small thread head.

5. Whip finish or tie a couple of half hitches, add drop of head cement, or Zap-A-Gap

6. Go fishing.

Best guess as to what it imitates is an inch worm, with the bead head, most likely a green rock worm(Caddis)

WataugaFishin

The Maggot is the simplest fly I tye and is surprisingly effective. I suspect it imitates a beetle grub. It consists of a length of wool yarn (offwhite or light tan works well for me) tyed in at the hook bend and then wrapped in tight turns to the eye. Whip the head and you are done. Twist the yarn as you go if you want a well-segmented body. Tye on light hook for fishing the film; tye on heavier hook for subsurface fishing; use a lead (or sub) underbody if you will be fishing deeper on a hot, sunny day. I like sizes 14 to 18.

green weenie is a good one, as is san juan worm. and i like to stick with the obvious... FBPT nymphs and FBHares ear nymphs

Without adoubt for me it would be a sucker spwan, I catch 85% of my fish on it and it takes longer to tie on than to tie.

What is this fly? How do you tie it? I have never heard of it...

green weenie is a good one, as is san juan worm. and i like to stick with the obvious... FBPT nymphs and FBHares ear nymphs

Ok...sorry for my ignorance...but I am not sure what a green weenie is...does anybody have a picture of one?