Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
monty3777

One more renzetti question

I have an opportunity to get a presentation 4000 vise for a reduced price. Only hitch is that it has the screw instead of the new cam. Any thoughts? Any problems with the screw?

No real thoughts on this one but I personally don't care for the screw style jams and really like a cam. I guess this one boils down to personal preference honestly.

Steve

I will go along with Steve, it's a matter of personal preference. My traveler came with a screw jaw but I bought a cam jaw a few years later. I still have the screw jaw as a back up. In my opinion, you can't beat a Renzetti. i got my first one 40 years ago and it still works. :yahoo:

I've had both from renzetti

the cam is a little faste but I know guys that are still diehard to the screw

If the discount is good go for it

you can always purchase another set of jaws seperatley

and with the 4000 you can get the Au sable speed crank

good luck

Pauly

Have you checked out the Dyna Kings?

I looked at the Renzettis and Dyna Kings when it was time for replacement.

They are both great vices, but I went with the Dyna King and love it.

Price for the screw presentation 4000 is $300 (shipping included). Presentation 4000 w/ cam is $387. What would you all do? Just thought I'd ask.

For me it is simple math, i would go with the screw. i am not sure if the cam jaws are worth $87 more than the screw jaws.

but I have never used the cam jaws so it is a partially uninformed decision.

If at all possible you should try both out before making a decision.

Personaly...I'd go with the screw myself for $87 less :o

I've had a Renzetti Traveler for about...jeez..I dunno, 12-13 years now and it has the screw jaws. I've tried the cam jaws on buddies Renzettis and I prefere the screw myself. But thats probably just because I've got so use to the screw over the past 12 years or so.

I guess if your a commercial tier where your whiping out flies on the par of 20 per hr and time is of the utmost importance then maybe the cam jaw would be a benifit. But besides that reason, I say save the $87 and go with the screw.

Then again I've been "screwed up" my whole life so don't listen to me :blink:

Steve

87$ is a tough call

I say this because that is about what a second set of jaws would cost

I say get the screw, then if you should happen to screw them up (no pun intended) as I did, you can upgrade when you replace them

PAuly

Steve

:hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

I say save the $87 and go with the screw.

I say save the $300 and go with a Danvise!

I have a 4000 with a screw and a master with a cam. I like the cam better because I never seem to get the screw tight enough when I'm packing deer hair. Nothing worse than a hook slipping. I did find away around it. I drilled a hole into the side on the screw and pressed a pin into the hole. I call it my poor mans cam.

I did find away around it. I drilled a hole into the side on the screw and pressed a pin into the hole. I call it my poor mans cam.

There is a tutorial somewhere online that shows that being done. Hmm now to remember where it was....

I found the tutorial, it was originally posted back in 2004 by Streamside. unfortunately the pictures no longer function in the post. According to Streamside's profile he hasnt been aroind since April.

L-HANDLE FOR YOUR ROTARY VISE

Want an L- Handle for your rotary vise? Here's a quick easy project.

Step # 1 You need to buy a barrel sander attachment for a dremel tool. You can get one of these wherever they sell rotary tools. I bought mine at Canadian Tire for $2.99. Actually I used my old one that came with my dremel tool and replaced it with a new one for $2.99

Step # 2 Take it apart and remove the sanding tube and rubber barrel. What you are left with is your handle.

Step # 3 Take the handle from your fly vise and make a little center punch mark in the end where you are going to drill the hole for the handle and using the same size drill bit as the shank of the barrel sander attachment, drill a hole in the end of the handle. I recommend using a drill press for this so you can line it up strait, but a hand drill will work as long as you are careful.

Step # 4 You will need a small piece of brass tubing, you can get it at any hobby shop. Cut the tubing slightly shorter than the shank of the attachment. Place the attachment in the vise and heat the end with a small propane hobby torch. Slide the brass tubing on and gently peen the end over. It will peen over very easily once you have heated it. Make sure not to peen it too much or the handle will not turn.

Step # 5 Take the screw out of the end of the attachment and slide the shank of the attachment through the hole. You will find that it is loose and that the length of the shank is longer than the width of the handle, so you need to carefully file down the shank until it is just a slightly longer than the width of the handle. Don't file it down too much or your handle will fit tight and it will not turn in the hole. It needs to be just a hair longer than the width of the handle shaft.

Step # 6 Slide the handle through the hole and tighten in the screw. There you have it. A new rotating L-handle for your rotary vise.

Theres a guy on Fly Anglers Online in the for sale section selling the following vises maybe they'll save you some money:

Dyna King Barracuda (full size, used) comes with either pedestal base or c-clamp. $287

Marco Polo Fly Tying set - like new, in box - $525

Dyna King Voyager II - used - $175

Hope this helps you out.

Fatman