Fly Tying
Chase Creek

Just a thought

I've noticed lately that the majority of swaps are taking 20 participants, as opposed to 12 or so. When I started joining swaps (hasn't been that long ago, think I've been in 27 or 28 so far) most were cut off at 12-14. The number of flies required seems to be rising, and I'm just wondering if maybe we aren't scaring off those new to tying from participating. I don't mind tying 20+ flies for a swap myself, but to a beginning tyer, 20 flies seems like an awful lot of flies, and most beginners can't pop out flies at a dozen an hour.

One of the purposes of the swaps is to help new tyers develope and perfect thier skills, but I have the feeling some of them are being put off by the idea of tying so many flies.

I realize that the due dates for these larger swaps have been more than reasonable, but I can't help thinking we are making it too daunting for the beginning tyer to jump in.

Not trying to ruffle any feathers, just a thought. Would be interested in hearing others opinions.

Having never participated,I can tell you that if I WERE ever to join one,these kinds of numbers would indeed give me pause! This is an excellent point!

Sulfernut

I started joining when there were 10 to 15 flies to tie. That will be enough for starters I think. Occasionally I join swaps with 25 or more. The only thing at that time is the due date. In case of 25 or more it should be 2 months or more. Just to give me some time to tie.

I think this is a good point for the owner of the swap to consider, but the number should be left up to the swapmeister. But, with that said, once you post the number of flies to be tied, it shouldn't be allowed to go up after that. If you say 12, it's 12, not 12 with the possibility of more. If the swapmeister wants to host a 100 fly swap, that should be allowed, as long as it's stated up front and doesn't grow to 200 flies.

:D

All good points......for me its teh amount of time I have if I if I join a swap with 20 or more...I like the 12-15 range but that is me...I really do not get a lot of time top tie so I have to make the best of it.....

Oatka has a very good point in his post leaving it to swapmeister to set the number s but not to change them after they are set.

just my .02cents

mike :D

I agree with Oatka. Give a number of flies and that's it. This isn't a poker game. No raising.

I am curently hosting my first swap.wanted 12 got nine was hoping to hold out for 12 but set a date and stuck to it. two of the tyers had already tied their flies and it would have been unfair to continue to add people after that.I have joined a few swaps were the number was twenty and it was raised to a higher number,maybe three or four.would not have cared if the original number was ten .but twenty is taxing enough.This really cheesed me to no end.Its great to get back so many diff patterns but on the other hand this was not the only swap I was in and I don't need the agrevation. sorry to vent.

Hey Fred,

It was probably me who “cheesed” you and I’m sorry for that.

I do agree that the swaps are getting really big & some might be put off by that.

My reasoning for letting the Foam #4 swap get so big was we had so much interest,

And I hate to leave people out. That being said I will now post a max # of swappers I will allow in to a swap. I also think with the swaps getting so big people aren’t tying what they really want just something to get the swap done. I know I’m spending a lot of time on a swap I’m in now and I keep thinking “if I just knocked out a little beetle I would be done”

I have seen a lot of SM's be real sticklers on when they will be mailing out the set of flies, which usually is fine but life happens and I think as long as we all communacate it's o.k. I really try to run smooth swaps and not be to harsh. I do get cheesed when somebody joins a swap and never lets the SM know there out. But other than that i try to keep it fun for all.

I have never seen so many swaps fill up so big & fast since I have been a member here at FTF. It’s been crazy how fast they fill up.

I think I will max out my swaps at 15 now so we can get the quality we are looking for.

Again to anyone I might of Cheesed I’m sorry for that and I’ll try to keep my swaps to 15.

Just my 2c

Justin

Justin ,it wasn't you .It wasn't even on this forum.Just venting .probably in the wrong place.

Well i'm glad but I did go from 20 up to 25 on Foam#4

No big on the venting part we all need to now and then.

Justin

I agree, I don't have time to join the bigger swaps because life does happen. great subject and an excellent point

Some really good points. I do agree with Oatka, the number should be left up to the Meister. All the larger number swaps I've been in do allow plenty of time for completion, and I have no problem at all with that.

Reading the posts here, I also realized that a swap with a larger number, like 20, has a small influence on how complicated a pattern I tie for it. Not that I crank out anything too complicated anyway, but I will choose a simpler pattern if I have to tie lots of them. As a rule, I usually send 5 extra for the swapmeister's troubles. So that's an additional 5 to tie.

Excelent points made by everyone. I think that I would pare down my pattern if I was tying for a big swap, but I havent joined in any that were over 12 yet. Not by choice , just that salt water swaps never seem to fill up on this site.

I definitely think of the number when choosing the pattern. I had all manner of patterns to consider for the recent gill sinker swap, but immediately dismissed any overly time consuming flies.

I would definitely like to see the swaps settle back down to 12 or so. I'd rather be in two 12 person swaps than one 20 person one.

All that said, it IS the swapmeister's decision and the meister should state a number up front and stick to it.