Fly Tying
Pelhament

My biggest fly caught bass to date

I have been spending a lot of time at the hospital lately waiting from my grandpa to get discharged so I decided while I was in the waiting room I could try to improve my spinner bait fly. I worked out a new design and yesterday after work before heading up to the hospital I went back to the pond behind my house to make sure it still looked right in the water. I also wanted to test out my new SA Ultra Bass taper line I got on clearance at Sportsmans for $20, which ended up matching this rod perfectly, I am casting about 20 ft farther into the wind with big heavy flies. Anyways, I made a couple casts and the fly looked sweet, the flash was riding on top and the rubber legs had tons of action. On my third cast I really shot it out there, almost to the other side of the pond. This time I started a real slow retrieve to see if it would get hung up, or if the mono the flash was attached to would act as a weed guard. I get it about 20ft from me where I could actually start seeing the fly again. I strip, pause... strip, and then out of nowhere my fly moved to the left about 3 ft. I strip again, and then BAM! line goes tight, I set the hook and I see this monster (compared to what I have caught in this pond previously) boil on the surface. I bring the fish in and it has completely inhaled my spinner bait fly. I got the fly out, and it was still intact, no damage to the mono or the flash. I have to say that I might be on to something here with this fly, it is really cool to see in the water. I will get some pics up soon as well as a step by step on how to tie it. Here's the fish, my biggest to date on a fly rod.

IPB Image

Here are a couple I caught this weekend, my first and second of the season.

IPB Image

IPB Image

As soon as I have some free time which may be a couple weeks away I will try and get it submitted to the database with step by step. Its a super simple tie. I will try to snap a pic before I head the hospital tonight.

Alright, alright. Here's a crude cell phone pic to hold you over. When I find more time I'll submit it to the database with some detailed instructions.

IPB Image

this is probably a really stupid question but how did you get the mono to bend at a 90 degree like that?

thanks,

sniksoh

:flex:

Its 40lb mono, and all I really did was just bend it in to shape. The 40lb ultragreen I am using seems to hold its shape really well.