Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TomRC

Rotary or Non Rotary Vise Revisited

I've owned both, identical to one another. The Sparton is a scaled down version that has limitations of tieing on bigger hooks. Actually the stand is qiute small and doesn't have much "counter weight" to it, so if you plan on tying bass bugs or salt water, it probably wouldn't be the right choice. The sparton is more of a travel vise

I will say that the rotary feature works for some and doesn't for others. A vise, as any tool. which it is, should be chosen to fit the individuals needs, working style, and budget. I know some tiers that can use a cheap vise and still turn out some of the best looking flies around, and vise a versa. If the rotary feature is something that you are not use to and you don't normally tie with that feature it isn't a big loss, nor will it be something that you will be missing out on. I use an HMH and find it to be perfect for the flies that I tie. On a good day I will tie 30-40-flies and on others maybe only 6. When I was looking to add another vise to my collection I wanted something heavy, well made, strong jawed and would hold up under a lot of use with out wearing out. The HMH fit the bill. Several friends of mine have used it and a couple loved it and a couple did not care for it for various reasons. The vise does infact rotate 360* and can be used as a rotary. I rotate the vise for access and to view the flie but do not use it to wind material as others do. I feel I have more control of the material and the pressure applied when wrapping it around by hand. This is just my style and others may say the complete opposite. I am not a spokesman for HMH and I own several other brands including Peak, and Griffon, but I don not use them much after purchasing the HMH. Most of the flies I tie are in the 6-22 range with the ocasional 1/0 -2/0 bass bug or streamer thrown in. I would rather have a vise made of heavy duty, well made, quality materials, than bells and whistles anyday......I have been tieing for around 40+ years and this is just my opinion. The Best thing to do is to go toyour local shopand try some of the

Hi I to have a Rotary vice and have used non rotary vices before. Now to your Question I wouldn't Ty a single fly with out the Rotary function in my vice. It just simplifies every thing so much.

thanks tyrite

As Bruce noted, there is a substantial difference in the size of the bases between the HMH Spartan and Standard pedestal versions. Although they share the same jaw sets, the rest of the Spartan is scaled down in size as well, relatively speaking.

I went with the HMH Standard version, as I didn't see why it would be that much harder to travel with than the Spartan (it's not like we're talking about a boat or something) and I spin/stack a lot of deer hair bass bugs, so I wanted the greater stability, although I have no doubt I could tie these flies on the Spartan if that's what I owned.

I like how it is very comfortable being able to lay my left hand across the top of the vise, and I have found the standard jaws more than adequate in terms of hook-holding and access to tie flies from size 3/0 - 20, although I've considered getting the midge jaws for smaller flies. I really like the ease with which you can switch the jaws -- you just screw them in/out with your fingertips. If you don't care about true rotary, I think you'll be pretty happy with an HMH. As rsturgerwater noted, it is a heavy duty, strong-jawed vise and will outlast you. I think it is very well-designed and believe you will be very impressed when you examine the quality of its machining. It comes with a life-time warranty against defects or wear but I would be very surprised to see it ever exercised.

-- Mike

i use a peak ,which is a rotary,i use the rotary feature all the time,i tie off the hackle,estaz exc,make a run to the eye a quick half hitch. hang the bobbin on the cradle and spin it on . i find this a lot faster and i get a good look at the fly . to me it makes it easy to get uniform bodies and wraps,it take getting use to i tied on a non rotary vise for twenty yrs.

it is not for every one ,but i am glad i bought the peak ,i am a rotary convert now.

just got my first trur ritary about a week and a half ago and i have to say i love it,can access all parts of the fly more easily and get better perspective especually while spinning and stacking deer hair.my vise is the griffin odyssey spider for an 80.00 vise i am very very very pleased

Once you master the rotary function of a true rotary vise you'll never go back. But, it amazes me the amount of people that own a rotary vise and don't use them to their potential. You can always "lock-up " a rotary but you can't spin a traditional to lay in a palmered hackle with the same precision.

I have the Dyna-King Trekker and I wish I used the rotary function more. It's hard to teach an old tyer new tricks. I'd been tying on the Thompson A vise and then the King-Fisher for so long that I'm having a hard time getting used to the rotary. When I use it it's great .. when I use it which isn't often enough. :wallbash:

Mike

Hi, my preferred vise since 3 years ago is a rotary -Anvil Apex- but if I'll need a fly, it doesn't be a problem, in a non rotary I think I could, don't you?. Only comfort.

I have the Dyna-King Trekker and I wish I used the rotary function more. It's hard to teach an old tyer new tricks. I'd been tying on the Thompson A vise and then the King-Fisher for so long that I'm having a hard time getting used to the rotary. When I use it it's great .. when I use it which isn't often enough. :wallbash:

Mike

Mike

Sorry, messed that one up. I'm still going strong on my old model A, which I resurected a couple of years ago when I started tying again. At some point I know I will want to upgrade, but what I'm going to do is try out at many as I can before I make my decision. I really want to try the rotary feature. I tie a lot of bugger type patterns and palmering is used a lot.

For those that have used both are there any functional benefits to the HMH Standard over the HMH Spartan? Thanks!

Tom

Hello, I have both the HMH Spartan and the HMH Standard Bench vice. They are both great vices. For the price difference if I had it to do over again I would buy the Spartan, it has the same jaws, same body, same hook holding qualities, very good buy. This is all the vice you would need if you were even tying commercially. These vices will outlast any out there. Thanks. Dave

Here is a video of the HMH using the rotary feature

http://hmhvises.com/board/index.php?topic=84.0

I would suggest a couple of things.....

If you can get to a fly shop that sells HMH go there, and take one for a test spin!!

Also if you have any technical or functional questions, call HMH and ask to talk someone in Tech Support

I did both of these before settling on my HMH....and I can tell you that it made a big difference in my decision.

If you need any help or have other questions.....I'm sure Day5 or myself would be able to help.

Happy Tying!!!!

Hi All;

I purchased a Danvise about a year ago and use the rotary function more and more.

At first I just used to make sure I tied the patteren well by observing the fly from multiple angles.

Now I incorporate the rotary function in just about every fly I tie. A wooly bugger can be completed in the fraction of the time it used to take me. Applying the chenille and hackle at the same time and now advancing the thread with them creates a more durable fly in what seems like seconds!

Wayneb