Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fontinalis

Classic Streamer Swap

Sukhoidave:

Thanks for the update and the list has been updated with your pattern.

Horseshoes:

I will keep and eye for them and let you know when they arrive at my house. Now let's talk about tying with hair, are you implying that I wouldn't know how to tye with hair since I shave my head and have that Bruce Willis look :hyst:

Thanks Everyone

Andy Brasko

If your hair snaps and falls out as easy as the bucktails were when I was tying them ( or trying) then it is a good thing you shave it before it gives you no choice. :hyst: :hyst: You will see my mesterpieces when they cast into the P.O. (mine travel that way). You could if you chose to, use some bucktail if yours isn't to your liking. :hyst: :hyst:

I still can't decide what to use for a container to send the flies in :dunno: Are there any flies that are being submitted that are too big to fit in a altoids type box?

Hi,

You can use old cassette containers or the plastic box that playing cards come in. I mean...you get them back. Look around at home or even while you are out somewhere and keep in mind what you are looking for. Sometimes it is good to " think outside the box" no pun intended.

I had already sent out my container in one swap so I had to look for alternatives. Next time you are in a corner store check out what some of the candy comes in etc. You get the drift. I hope this helped. Check out toyboxes....junk drawers....kitchen cupboards................

Hi,

You can use old cassette containers or the plastic box that playing cards come in. I mean...you get them back. Look around at home or even while you are out somewhere and keep in mind what you are looking for. Sometimes it is good to " think outside the box" no pun intended.

I think you missed the point of the question. A streamer tied on a 10-X long hook can be pretty big. What the poster really wanted to know was "what's the biggest fly anyone is tying so I know how big of a container to use" rather than "what is a suitable container?"

I'm tying on a 3-X long #6, so I won't be the tent pole.

Thanks for all the responses. Flies are tagged packaged up and ready for the post office, I will send it on my way home tonight. :yahoo:

Horseshoes:

I have received your flies. They look pretty good. I think you gave them really good try and also see that you you tied them as neat as possible. Very nice job.

Andy

Horseshoes:

I have received your flies. They look pretty good. I think you gave them really good try and also see that you you tied them as neat as possible. Very nice job.

Andy

Thanks for the support. I have come to realise that with out the picture in front of me at all times I can loose perception of the amount of hair etc that is needed. So I have started to invest in some great books. The first to arrive was " Shrimp & Spey Flies for Salmon & Steelhead" and I have more on the way. It is a fabulous book , besides the info it gives me clear pictures of proportions and amounts. Live and learn, always. :rolleyes:

Horseshoes

here is what i tied up for the swap

Its a quick silver variant

hook 6xlstreamer hook #8

thread 8/0 uni

tag/rib fine silver oval tinsel

underbody white uni streach

body white floss

belly white bucktail

throat red hackle

wing black hackles and peacock herl over

shoulder grouse body feathers