Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Beings that I began my fly fishing trip on our Minnesota warmwater lakes, I initially got into my Regal vise.

I still have it as it's used for larger flies, panfish sized (approx. #10, #12) all the way up to my pike and especially muskie flies..#4/0. It's great vise for that.

I also do the trout thing and have a used Renzetti 4000 that I like a lot.

Yep, you have it right, there's not THE perfect vise. It seems I have the most trouble with Clousers just because of the flipping around etc and I have found that the angle of the vise sometimes get in my way tying. You can't have everything I guess.

That said, there is a vise that some would consider to be better suited for many tying applications and w/o trying one, just by looking, I'd maybe have to agree. Its the L.A.W. vise, made in England. But at approx. $800 or so (per the exchange rate) plus shipping it's a bit too far out for me. But, yes, I'd get one if I had the money. I spend a lot of time at the tying bench in the colder months.

I'm very satisified with my tools. But.... <_<

Jeremy.

I have been using a Renzetti Master for about 7 years. I like it but, like most vices, it dows have some bad points. I think it is a little tight between the tip o the jaws and the shaft. If you tie large saltwater flies, this can be a pain in the but. I is one of the most solid vices that I have. I dont like the knob that keeps the vice from rotating. It should have been a little bigger and made better.

I also have the Renzetti Travler, nice vice for that it is and works fine.

My favorite vise is an old Price vise. a real antique but still works great. my #2 vise is a renzetti presentation vise, which i have started to use more because i treasure the price vise.

joelst

joelst,

My first "good" vise was a Price Vise. I still have it but it's pretty much retired.

My primary vise is a Regal. It does everything I need it to do. I have a Peak rotary which I like, but I havent really gotten used to yet.

Jay

I use a griffin right now, and recently had an HMH. Im in agreement that the magnum jaws should not have the machined grooves into them, because it makes it especially difficult for tying smaller trout flies. My current vice is better, but im not really sure if i can call it an improvement. The jaws are soft enough so that they do not crush hooks that easily while at the same time they dont offer as good of holding. Another advantage/disadvantage of this vise is that it rotates. Rotary vises have always confused me in the sense that they are designed to make life easier but always seem to complicate things. This vise in particular either rotates too easily or not easily enough.

My HMH's best feature i felt, was the interchangeable jaws. The only improvement i would reccomend to that design wouldve been to make the nose on the magnum jaws a bit more rounded. I did however enjoy the fine tips on the smaller jaws.

i use a renzetti saltwater travaler vise.i have yet to encounter any problem with the vise.i tye every thing from 1/0 down to a size 16. this is the vise that i have always wanted since i was a younger fly tier

I have a Renzetti Traveler and a Sunrise spring clamp.

If I had the money I would order a LAW vise and a HMH tube vise.

The HMH is in my price range the LAW is not.

Hello everyone! I'm new here and have spent the last few days just looking over this site and being blown away by all the info. To the point, I started off with a Regal and love it for the spring loaded jaws it has. Down side to it is when you want to palmer, rib etc. it's not the vice to use. However, it is great for salt water, bass and big (freshwater) game flys because of the power of those jaws. After using it for a few years I finally sprung for a Renzetti and love it. In fact that is the one I use most now because of it's ease and broad rang of use. It has spoiled me now. In the past couple of years I have not been able to do that much tying (Air Force deployments) but now I'm getting back into it full swing and this site is just what I needed to help me get back to it. :yahoo: So it's back to checking you guys out.

All the fly tying classes I've taken at my local fly shop here in West Michigan used a renzetti. However, when I got tired of using my old non-rotary vise I did some research on the internet & found one that was recommended, as well as many of the rotary's that have been around for a while. The Peak vise was the one I read about & have purchased. I love it ! It works just as well as a renzetti & ended up being a little cheaper ($129 for the Peak vs. $169 for renzetti) It has a lifetime warranty like many others. I've had it since July 05 & have tied well over a hundred flies. I would recommend it to anyone.

Tie One On

Like many of you I have worn out a few vices in my tying life (40+years) :blink: But have been very happy for the last 4 years with the Dynaking professional. I have had a few probs with fine hooks breaking in the begining but so far so good :rockon:

The attachment for setting the vice at different heights and angles is a real help.

After reading all the posts about the Peak rotary vise in this thread, I bought one. I really think you get an excellent vise for the money. The only negative I found in the posts was a comment about the plastic screws, actually they are delrin and make perfectly good sense where they are used. One is on the rotary shaft and a steel screw would gall the shaft if used there, plus it makes a good bearing surface for smooth rotation of the shaft. The other is used in the bobbin holder shaft and it used there for the same reason, to prevent galling.

See this link for another review of this vise. Washington Fly Fishing