Fly Tying
Guest TroutBum

What Vise do you use?

What is your primary vise?  

3,238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use the renzetti traveller and just purchased the clouser head for the renzetti.., I really enjoy my renzetti but found that the angle got in the way of the bucktail streamers hope that this new attachment which retains the rotary end and keeps the shaft straight makes adifference.

Jon

Dyna-King Barracuda, modified with a tiltable post. Very comfortable when weaving and easy packed...

/Niclas

Hi Niclas,

That vise looks very familiar. It looks like the one I did some work on for Dyna-King. I hope you are enjoying it and YES the ability to tilt does make weaving much easier. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

In a way it seems just a bit like a loaded question...........what i mean is.........the word "Primary" can be taken a few different ways..........so your gonna get a very wide variety of answers. I didn't check any brand name because i don't nessessarily have a "Primary" based on a brand name. I have every vise listed in your selection catagory, and in my list of 3/4 "primaries," only one is included in yours. Dyna King. For fishin' (trout mostly) flies and for my commercial tyin', i mostly use the Dyna King. But for show flies (Steelhead/Salmon), i use a Wasatch (on the road), or Dingo (at home), neither of which will hold a hook over 6/0 or maybe 7/0 in size. At which time, i have to go with another vise i have that doesn't even have a name on it.

Bottom line is, the ULTIMATE PERFECT VISE has NOT been made yet. The Dingo does something no other vise does which i LOVE. The head assembly, (just the jaws themselves ONLY) actually rotate horizontally, not "just vertically." And THAT is an incredable feature which is a real advantage for me. But the damn thing doesn't hold hooks very well at all............so. And that's just one example of what i mean when i say, "the perfect vise has yet to be made." And trust me, it HASN'T. NOT YET! Not in my opinion. mark..... ;)

I have a griffin spyder. I think that it retails for about 80 bucks. I have tyed size 32 to a 2/0 hook and love it. Not very pretty but man does it work like a charm. Haven't had a hook come out yet. Tryed a friends renzetti liked it very well but just couldn't see myself spending that much on a vise although I do tye alot. I figured since I got a great deal on it, and I haven't had any promblems with it yet, then I could use the extra money I have saved to buy more materials.

I had been using Regent Vice or Vise for a past year and now I bought RG SAGA vice recently, which is much cheaper and good quality, not necessar to have same specifications than Nor-Vise, feather-craft or hmhvise (Very highly priced Vises). My vice is on Ebay or www.futuretackle.co.uk for £19.99. Shipping charges are not very expensive. I have no connection with futuretackle, but I found out the sales team very helpfull prior to purchase and after sale.

I started with a Thompson B (short version) and have never seen anyone else using a shorty. I switched to a vise that was given to me. (http://www.stsimonsoutfitters.com/Xuron-Vise-History_ep_40-1.html) It was an early version of the Xuron vise. I got two of them as gifts in about 1968 or 1970 I guess it was. They have "C" clamp bases not the pedestal. I got a Renzetti and have just went back to the Xuron for tying some streamers.

Anyone else use one of these?

I have 2 vises, a Peak Rotary Vise at home and a Marco Polo CFT_1000 Fly tying system for the road.

The Peakfishing vise is brilliant and it takes all sizes hooks, and it stands solid at all time. The compakt vise is rotary but it dosent stand still when u tie, but holds all sizes hooks whitout any problems.

I've been using a Thompson for about 8 yrs and have managed fine. I could never understand why people spent so much on a vice. Then my father lent me his Renzetti Traveler and now I have seen the light. He'll have fun getting that back.

Started with a thompson A and then switched to a Regal like my Grand father had (I still tie with a bunch of his tools) I love the Regal for that reason and the fact it is so simple and almost looks like new even though I have 20 years of flies run through it. It is crafted well and makes putting a hook in fast and easy. Simple, strong and can be rotated to look at back side, trimming etc. Thinking of a true rotary but dont know if i would use it to its full potential and keeping the regal in the closet would be tough

Renzetti traveler.

it is my first vise from my beginner vise, and I really dig it. works great, I have tied 1/0 clousers, to size 30 midges, it can do everything. I love it.