Fly Tying
smallieFanatic

Dog found the hare's mask

The durn dog got into my room somehow and found my hares mask, chewed it to smithereens and enjoyed the whole thing :wallbash: :angry: I think it might be still angry at me for using her tail fur for spinner wings :whistle:

The dog, and the mask

post-17709-1243887096_thumb.jpg

post-17709-1243887241_thumb.jpg

Nice looking dog there Jan, have ya gotten any dubbing from em yet?

From the mask, or the dog? :lol: Both, actually, I've gotten some good milage out of the mask, and also the before mentioned dog tail spinner wings, and some long back hair which, by the way, makes an excellent clouser.

Jan

Same thing happaned to me :wallbash: except My dog got two of my hackle capes :angry: and I suspect my kip tail, I never found a single hair from the tail though :dunno: .

Burn! If the dog had even looked at my capes with malicious intent, its rear might not feel so good afterward :whistle:

I suspect this is not an uncommon occurrence . . . . Here is all that was left of a full bucktail and two full patches of deer hair my wife's dog got a hold of when I wasn't looking. I wouldn't have cared if he had actually tied something with it. :wallbash:

Remnants.jpg

Did the dog survive your wrath :lol: Why oh why do the dogs go for the tying stuff? Why not the couch cusion or the stuffed animal? :bored: :wacko:

Jan

One of my dogs gets anxiety when we leave the house so when we first got her, we didnt know that and here dinner consiisted of marabou and a couple full bucktails

Yep, I finally installed a door and made a separate tying room where NO animals are allowed. I had 2 limited edition fly tying books that a cat decided to use as a scratch post :thumbsdown:

Hahaha I'm the lucky one, the only stuff my dog takes are scraps from my trash. I find hair and fluff from feathers on my floor every once in a while, but luckily haven't had anything chewed up.

I was mad :angry: , but you trying staying mad at her.

post-16192-1243898568_thumb.jpg

Yep, shes a cute one.......................................................but a dry fly cape???? :ripped: I could probably stay mad a little longer :lol:

It is not a total loss, Jan. Just take the remaining pieces and clip all of the hair off the hide. Place the hair into a small bowl with a sealable lid and add a single drop of dish soap to the hair. Fill the bowl half way with warm water and add the lid to the bowl. Shake the water/soap/fur mixture very vigorously until it is completely mixed together. Then pour the mixture through a fine wire mesh strainer and rinse it under cool water until the soap is washed out of the fur. Let the hair (dubbing) dry overnight on a few paper towels and in the morning you will have some of the best hares ear dubbing you've ever used.

I use this method a lot to make my own dubbing blends. I learned this method from a book called Fuzzy Nymphs, by Polly Rosborough.

If your dog does it again, he should get the same treatment... :devil:

I guess I'm lucky.

The family dog once got ahold of some of my brown saddle hackle, but I was fortunate enough to have gotten it away from her.

(dumb dog!)