Fly Tying
Stippled Popper

Playing with Popper Designs

Here are images of a few of my larger bass poppers and an image of a smaller version of one I tie to fish.

A hard foam take on the Fruit Cocktail...

This is one of the first I painted a few years back.

FruitCocktailPopper.png

Suggesting the look of deer hair bugs...

FrogPopperOliveChart.png

A Rio Grand Cichlid of my own:

RioPopper.png

A few of my Rio design scaled down to #10. I do these down to #14.

Blacks.jpg

Another cool design that I personally like the looks of is a black base then you take a tooth brush and dip it into purple and brush the bristles... kinda gives it a purple mist type look.

They're very nice. How do you paint them and what type of paint to you use? I've used prisma markets for poppers but they don't look as good as these, the colors are pretty dull. Well done.

Tom

They're very nice. How do you paint them and what type of paint to you use? I've used prisma markets for poppers but they don't look as good as these, the colors are pretty dull. Well done.

Tom

I use Delta Ceramcoat and Anita's All Purpose Acrylic Craft Paint. After applying two or as many coats as it takes to achieve an even finish by artist's brush, I use tools such as these to apply the various size dots to make eyes and add details:

Tools.jpg

This enables me to do something along the lines of what I've done in ink:

SeahorsePic.jpg

There are many quicker ways to do things. But I enjoy seeing what I can accomplish by hand.

The colors on the above were a lot duller before I brushed on the Two-Ton Epoxy(single coat) or Loon Hard Head(six or seven coats on the cichlid). This would probably be superfluous over prisma colors but might brighten them up a bit. On the other hand, if you don't protect acrylic craft paint, it will be easily removed during use.

Tom

I use Delta Ceramcoat and Anita's All Purpose Acrylic Craft Paint. After applying two or as many coats as it takes to achieve an even finish by artist's brush, I use tools such as these to apply the various size dots to make eyes and add details:

Tools.jpg

This enables me to do something along the lines of what I've done in ink:

SeahorsePic.jpg

There are many quicker ways to do things. But I enjoy seeing what I can accomplish by hand.

The colors on the above were a lot duller before I brushed on the Two-Ton Epoxy(single coat) or Loon Hard Head(six or seven coats on the cichlid). This would probably be superfluous over prisma colors but might brighten them up a bit. On the other hand, if you don't protect acrylic craft paint, it will be easily removed during use.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have some acrylic popper paint but haven't used it much. I'd probably do more popper tying if I could get them to look like yours....

Polka dots inside polka dots....my wife would love that one!

VERY nice work. makes me want to try painting some by hand....with more than my wifes nail polish.

Great job man. We have talked before on how you did it. What great color combos. I need to work on mine more. I have been painting some but my color combos are nothing compared to yours. Well done indeed.