Fly Tying

McFlyFoam vs Egg Yarn

Which do you prefer for making egg patterns  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use yarn or or dubbing for my egg patterns now but when I first started I just usded pipe cleanes wrap it around a few times and trimmed the wire ends. You wouldn't believe how many fish I caught on them. You don't even need to use thread.

Ken cool.gif

I use both materials. For smaller eggs (size 16 or 18), I use the yarn. The erie steelhead just seem to dig the yarn eggs better in low and clear conditions. When the water is dirty, I will use bigger eggs (12 and 14) made out of the foam. The foam comes in some bright colors that are great for dirty water.

After using Glo Bug Yarn for over 20 years I went to McFly foam two years ago and find it easier to tie an egg pattern.

Like the "Early Girl" color in the McFly foam also.

Of course for Michigan the Glo bug "Oregon Cheese Color" still rocks.

Can you beleive I told an old oregon fly fisher about it two years ago who had never heard of it until I informed of it.

It took the internet to do it !

sad.gif

BG

I picked other...cause real spawn works better...LOL Just kiddin!

I use Mc Fly Foam for the nucleas of my "Nuke Eggs" and the Veil around it is Egg Yarn. Them are all I tie as far as egg flies cause they work so darn well! cool.gif

I prefer the foam.

Here's a trick for perfect & fast globies:

1. Take the McFly Foam in the amount desired, and double the strand over...add a 3rd strand for bigger eggs. arrange them so the're parallel to the shank, & next to each other.

2. Tie the strands on the shank, then give them a few base wraps like a parachute post. With the material secured on top of the shank & base wrapped, whip finish right under the material on the eye side. Clip thread.

3. Pull up on the material with moderate tension. It's foam, so it'll stretch. With curved scissors, cut the foam beneath your fingers in an arching cut. Youo may have to play with the length of cutting, since the material will stretch back, but a couple of tries will show you how long to cut.

4. Now, with the hook inverted, put a small drop of gel superglue on the thread wraps. Pinch the clipped foam around both sides of the shank to the glue side, & hold for a second or two. The egg is complete.

I've used this method for eggs between #8 & #16.

You can mark an "eye" or not. I tend to use the lighter shades of foam, and don't mark them. Instead, I use Hot Orange thread, which shows thru the material when wet, and from all sides.

I like to use both. Lately, however, I have been using more foam. I typically tie my eggs with white foam and an eye made out of chartruese, peach, or orange. One of the major misconceptions with egg flies is the believe that they have to be perfectly round to be effective. Anything that appraoches a round shape will work. I supply egg flies to many people; they all report sucess on them. In fact, I feel a perfectly round, dense egg actually interferes with the hook gap.

Just my two cents

Andrew

I learned to make egg flies on glo yarn and i agree that once you have tied a couple of dozen and have figured out how tight to tye the yarn on, how to add spots of color, and how to cut the stuff to shape it is easy to use. I tried mcfly foam and after about 10 minutes threw the stuff away and went back to using yarn!

I love egg yarn. I use two colors and mix them up. It's all in how tight the thread turns are. I usually make three tight turns, If they mess up I don't try to save it I just unwrap and pitch those parts and take out two more.

Yarn is good because you can trim it up on the water if you are looking to match the size of the eggs in the water. It's pretty easy to trim by using your eye. Make small snips with a pair of serrated scissors while holding the hook shank perpindicular to you and again when holding it parallel to you. Don't try juggling the egg around in your hands to get different looks, just keep it in these two views.

One important tip is before you start trimming, rub the yarn with your finger and get all of those fibers tangled into each other. Rub each side of the hook and roll it around in your finger tips.

Last, everyone here is right on in saying that it takes alot of practice to get these things right, but once you are comfortable, you can just pump them out at an incredible pace.

Estaz

I have become partial to estaz over the last two years. Its has a more realistic appearance in the water and sinks well. I use estaz for the core and egg yarn for the veil. And its very easy to tie.

I'm with Northern. Try the nuke eggs. McFly Foam for a little color in the middle and yarn for the veil. Cant beat em....

i voted the foam but i dont really tie egg patterns any more.

instead, i tie all sucker spawn patterns which i seem to get more hook ups on because it gets stuck in their teeth and it is all on top of the hook. you can tie these in any color, made by the glo bug company. the fish dont seem to notice a difference between sucker spand and egg patterns, in my opinion, and you can also add a loop of a contrasting color like cerise or tangerine.