Fly Tying
Justyn

Looking For an Extremely Simple Bluegill Pattern

I got a couple patterns in swaps with basically chenille or ultrachenille or something like it just tied on the hoook. I tried this behind my house were i get a lot of bluegill and it worked.

Can you guys give me some guidence about a simple pattern like this that works and is easy to tie?

check out this site for some great gill and panfish patterns.

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/

most are pretty simple to tie and the SBS patterns are laid out quiet well too. I've tied and used several from this site and they work really well.

Mike

Are you looking for something below the surface or above it? Try the database here for patterns. Also checkout Megans Minnow or the SMP.

I got a couple patterns in swaps with basically chenille or ultrachenille or something like it just tied on the hoook. I tried this behind my house were i get a lot of bluegill and it worked.

Can you guys give me some guidence about a simple pattern like this that works and is easy to tie?

Wilson's bully (not sure on the name) is simple- cheneille body, rubber legs up by the eye, works great. Mc Ginty is another great one and foam spiders are easy. My favorite was to glue 2mm foam together (3m foam fast 77) and then punch out bodies with a sharpened piece of brass tube. Put a needle through it and you have an instant popper. Love the sucking sound gills make when they hit surface bugs.

size 12 standard wet or dry fly hook, ice dub body, one wrap of hackle. Done. You pick the colors.

JSzymczyk,

Thats sorta more of what i am lookin for. Thanks everyone else. I just want something really easy to tie that will catch fish. Also a fly with not many materials. Thanks everyone.

JSzymczyk,

Thats sorta more of what i am lookin for. Thanks everyone else. I just want something really easy to tie that will catch fish. Also a fly with not many materials. Thanks everyone.

Panfish polecat

Hook - standard nymph to 2x long streamer

Thread - of your choice

Tail - marabou tail

Body - wrapped chenille

Underbody - pulled forward chenille

Legs - rubber or silicone 2-3 on each side

Sounds more complicated than it is.

Simple mohair leech

Hook - same as above

Thread - whatever

Weight - lead wire or tape

Body - tightly wrapped mohair yarn picked and brushed out

Head (optional)- different colored mohair yarn 2-3 wraps.

Easy damsel nymph

Hook - long nymph or 2x streamer

Thread - of your choice

Tail - tip of marabou

Rib - of your choice

Body - twist marabou and wrap to the eye then overwrap rib.

Legs - optional hackle

Eyes - optional beadchain, mono or bead on mono

I haven't noticed these to fish any better with legs and eyes but they are pretty

Simple yarn body and rubber legs. Kills em every time. Black yarn white legs, green yarn black legs. Some lead wraps or bead chain if you want it to sink. Not pretty, but just sleighs them around here.

Man O man : Justyn you got gill fishermen comeing out of the wood work. :bugeyes: I know there were some many. I used wool yarn on a hook back in 1959 when I was 13 yr. old, used them and tied them for many years. Kenn

One of my best simple bluegill killers is the standard yellow wooly worm in #12. I tie it on a dry fly hook and it can be fished dry or wet.

-#12 dry fly hook

-tuft of red yarn or floss for a short tail

-yellow chenille body

-grizzly hackle palmered over the body

Simple and effective. :)

Gills love leeches. Tie in a marabou tail just ahead of the bend. Advance the thread forward. Twist the marabou into a robe and wrap it forward. A hackle collar can be used as well - strung hackle, whatever you've got. I like mine with a gold beadhead to help get it down a little quicker and give it a little jigging action. Black and black on the colors for me. Occassionally maybe a white one.

Deeky

Tie some yarn on a hook for subsurface or foam on a hook for topwater... Doesn't get much easier than that. It may not look like anything, but I swear gills will hit about anything, even a bare hook. The gills out here hit my double surgeon knot on my leader.