Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just joined myself....been tying for about 5 years. Took a class from Charlie Craven and fell in love with it. Although with 3 kids and adopting 2 more I don't have as much time as I would like. I work overseas and take my gear with me when I'm gone so that's when I get most of my tying done.

Cheers,

4Kiwis

I learned to tie 23 years ago from one of my life heroes and mentors named Gus. Gus was a Marine veteran from Korea. He looked a lot like Santa Claus with one wooden leg. His disability, which he was very thankful for, allowed him to fish 300 days a year. I met Gus at a local Recreation District casting class he taught. It was a low time in my life. He apparently picked up on that and invited me over to his single wide home where he took care of his seriously ill wife and mentally handicapped daughter (both of whom had ear to ear smiles I can still picture clearly today). For the next couple years I spent countless hours with Gus, tying, fishing (he was on friendly terms with every farm pond owner in Northern California), talking about life, reading from the Bible, and listening to each other. Those were glorious days. Gus passed away a couple years ago. I guess what I'm saying is that I can't think of any other hobby (at least hobbies that men get into, women seem to have plenty), that gives you the chance, not just to teach a skill, but just the right kind of time to invest in someone's whole life. Thank you Gus.

Note. My vote was for the number of years... Not how long at this session. ;)

Cheers,

C.

I have been tying since my son moved out and started his life,had to replace the empty nest thing.

I find it very relaxing and challeging at the same time.

magnum

I started fly fishing three years ago, and fell in love. Initially I thought wow I spend a ton on all these flies I am always losing! The following year I started tying. The good news is I hardly ever lose flies anymore, and I tie so many I have to give some away.

Now that is a tricky question ..... from the time I was about 13 to the time I was 25, I tied and fished all the time, as I lived and fishe in Colorado.

Then, 2nd job out of college landed me over seas on a two year contract, 15 years later, I wound up in Houston, 10 years later, my son joined Boy Scouts, and low and behold, they offer the fly fishing merit badge that actually requires him to tie a fly ....

Back into the obsession again. Down here in Texas, a #16 gold ribbed hares ear is just not on for Bill Bass ....

So learning new patterns and tricks to cast them.

Dave

How long have you been tying? Drop a line when you are done.

I myself have been tying since March 14, 2004 (my b-day). You do the math wink.gif

My birthday is March 14 too! Been tying for about 4 years.