Fly Tying
B.C.TroutHunter

How Long Have You Been Tying?

How Long Have You Been Tying?  

967 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I took a basic fly tying lesson in 1997 and my pratice area has never cleaned out. One of these days, I kept saying to myself

It will be one year this christmas. I got my wife to buy me my Griffin Mongoose vise after some recommendations from members of my kayak fishing club. I tie everything from saltwater to tricos. Whatever I'm fishing for next. It's been a busy year learning.

There is nothing like catching fish on your own flys as it makes it just that much more sweet. I learned from a great book by Skip Morris called "Fly tying made clear and simple." and saltwater patterns from ASWF.org

I realy love giving away my flys too. I'm currently working on bass flys for a neighbor dog walker's christmas gift. I've done some ok deer spun flys but after seeing the Hatches mag with stacked hair bass bugs I'm venturing into those. Hopefully I learn some technique here.

Here is a pic of my first half and half attempt. 2 months tying here. post-18764-1229992597_thumb.jpg

I have been tying almost 3 years now. I never really took much interest in fly fishing, it always looked too hard to me. Than a good fishing buddy of mine showed me the basics and I found that it really isnt as hard as it looks.

I than started tying my own flies. I am no pro but am learning. I also tie my own spinner baits, buzz baits, and jigs. I have also poured a few of my own plastics but tying is so much easier and not quite as messy.

I hope I can learn a few more good tips from you all.

on and off for almost 30 years. If I wasnt tying flies....was tying skirts for spinner/buzz baits and jigs!

I've been tying on and off for a year and a half, but haven't really gotten into it that much until the last month or so.

Ive been tying for 9 years now and have been taking a class through the communitee centre two 8 week courses a year for the last 6 years

met a lot of fellow fishers and learned a tonne of tips

I have been tying for 10, 11 years as of April. I started when I was 17 and have not stopped.