Fly Tying
Bryan Wright

Portable cases for fly tying stuff

This is what I am looking at getting but I am interested to know what you all use? There is a local club that tys every thursday and I don't have a good way tot transport the material and as you know some things like pheasant tail, are pretty long.

This is something I am looking at: http://art.artbin.com/super_satchel_series.asp#6982ab

Thansk

This is what I am looking at getting but I am interested to know what you all use? There is a local club that tys every thursday and I don't have a good way tot transport the material and as you know some things like pheasant tail, are pretty long.

This is something I am looking at: http://art.artbin.com/super_satchel_series.asp#6982ab

Thansk

I use two different tying bags. The William & Joseph and the Scierra.

The W&J a nice bag and can take what I need for a tying night. But I

quickly learned that for me, a tying night bag is just what it is. It's

pretty thin and really don't take MUCH of stuff.

post-15497-1285876278_thumb.jpg

But I found another one which plays in a different league when it comes

to space. It takes what I need for both a 3-day tying show and a week

long fishing trip... with space to spare. The Scierra fly-tying bag:

post-15497-1285876265_thumb.jpg

Both have something the other hasn't. The W&J is neat, light and modest while

the Scierra is a real beast, thick and heavy. On the other hand, the W&J is the

typical "few pattern bag" (perfect for a tying night), while the Scierra is a true

"swallower" and will take a looot of stuff. It's perfect for someone like myself...

... Better in the bag and not needed than needed and still at home. LOL

/Nick

I have a fishpond coyote travel case and it's great!

There are a few things that I keep having to remind myself of though... in a travel case, you can't carry everything, only pieces of everything! Unless you're worried about being made fun of for it, I'd cut a chunk off of a pheasant tail and not worry about carrying the whole thing...you're not going to use it all in a single session anyway. :P

I too have more than one travel bag. Neither one are currently available. My streamside case is a softside zip closed bag about 6 by 9 inches. Inside, It holds a dozen zip log bags that fit in a three ring binder. I can pack hooks, a small vise, basic tools, and enough materials to get buy on a short trip.

The other is a 14 by 16 by 8 inch case that has smaller nylon pouches inside of it. The top zips open, and hangs over the edge of the table, and has a waist catcher bag. I can pack necks saddles, and months worth of materials in it.

The ones in your link look like they would do the job of packing up enough stuff for your nightly sessions. They are cost effective. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work.

Thansk

you can cut the pheasant tails in half to fit any box.

you could use a cheap plastic tool box from your local big box discount or hardware store.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_82664-82673-019151...quantity_sold|1

I just use a couple of plastic tote boxes. Works just fine for me.

The fishpond coyote tying bag is $185!!!!!! Holy crap! :blink: I could buy a plastic box and fill it with a LOT of really good materials for that $$$

My response is based on observations only! Over the past 12 years I have noticed that many of the students taking our club's fly tying courses wind up using the large Plano tackle boxes (Standard disclaimer!). The ones with the smaller detachable boxes on each end of the top have been very popular, and appear to be more than adequate. They have the added advantage of being readily available wherever fishing tackle is sold; and not just stuff for fly tying. I have never priced them, but Plano's other boxes are reasonable enough; so, I would expect this one to be no different.

perchjerker

As an after thought, when I teach a class in our courses, I just put everything in a plain old ordinary card board box! Obviously, I never take tying stuff with me when i go fishing, so I have never acquired a permanent 'travel' container. I'm a really' high-tech' type of guy!

I have a large fanny pack I use when I am tying a couple patterns or just need some stuff for the day. I have a tournament tackle bag that holds 5 plano flat boxes and has a few roomy pockets for tools and such. Plano Bag

Works well for longer trips or all around tying. If I wanted to carry all my stuff I would need a dump truck.

On rare occasion when I take tools, I use an old cassette briefcase. Just take out the cassette holders and replace with thick foam. Not fancy, but if your on a budget you use what you have.

I try and try but just keep buying and packing more and more stuff....so the Fishpond Coyote was the bag for me. Plenty of room and as durable as it gets. The amount of stuff you can put in there is amazing.

I travel for a living and it takes a fair beating, so it was worth every penny....otherwise a large tackle box etc may fit the bill for most light travel use.

//..//

I travel for a living and it takes a fair beating, so it was worth every penny....otherwise a large tackle box etc may fit the bill for most light travel use.

'Tackle box' - Every time I hear the word I get nostalgic.

Those were the days... the days before my fly-tying room. LOL

post-15497-1286478608_thumb.jpg

Cabelas has there own branded tying bag which works great for me. I take it to anything from a half day class to a 4 day fishing trip. It retails for $39.99. Just be aware that the spool holders are kind of tight and will damage your wire if it is loose when you put it in there. I bought some plastic spool holders at Hobby Lobby and they fit great in this bag. Definitely recommended.

http://www.cabelas.com/fryprod-0/product--...11961.uts.shtml

I have one of these and am very pleased with it especially with the price point. I can carry just about everything I would want if I don't get too exotic. http://www.bwsports.com/GearBags%20CarryBags.html

I don't see a price. How much is the fly tying bag? Do you know?

Fifty bones