Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
letumgo

Various Soft Hackle Flies

Fly 1 = Olive Hares Ear & Partridge (tailless)

Hook - Mustad Model R50-94840/Size 10

Thread - Pearsall's Gossamer Silk (Yellow/No. 05)

Hackle - Hungarian Partridge (Dyed Olive Green)

Rib - Ultra Wire (Small/Copper)

Body - Hares Ear Dubbing (Olive) - Touch Dubbing Technique

2011050820_45_186317.JPG

Fly 2 = Olive Hares Ear & Partridge (with tail)

Tail - Hungarian Partridge (Dyed Olive Green)

2011050820_53_146322.JPG

Fly 3 = Partridge & Orange w/Hares Ear Thorax (with copper rib)

Hackle - Hungarian Partridge (Natural)

Body - Pearsall's Marabou Silk (Hot Orange/No. 19)

Thorax - Hares Ear Dubbing (Natural) - Tightly Dubbed onto Tying Thread

2011050820_47_256319.JPG

Fly 4 = Partridge & Green w/Hares Ear Thorax (no rib)

Partridge & Yellow w/Hares Ear Thorax

Tail - Hungarian Partridge (Dyed Olive Green)

2011050820_49_226320.JPG

Fly 5 = Partridge & Yellow w/Hares Ear Thorax (no rib)

Hackle - Hungarian Partridge (Natural)

Underbody - Narrow Mylar Tinsel (Silver)

Body - Pearsall's Marabou Silk (Yellow/No. 05)

Thorax - Hares Ear Dubbing (Tan) - Tightly Dubbed onto Tying Thread

2011050820_50_576321.JPG

The last fly was inspired by a friend on another forum. The style is referred to as "Glanrhos style". I tyed the feather in with the tip fibers facing out over the back of the fly, then wrapped the hackle. Makes for a nice rough and ready looking fishing fly.

Fly 6 - Glanrhos Style Partridge & Hares Ear

Body - Hares Ear Dubbing (Natural) - Touch Dubbed onto Tying Thread

Wing/Hackle - Hungarian Partridge (Natural)

2011050820_55_366323.JPG

Just playing around at the vice. I got a bit carried away with my heads (Pearsall's Gossamer + Double Whip Finish = BIG heads).

Sylvester Nemes,comes to mind seeing your well tied flies.Soft hackles are the only fly I fish. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

As always Ray some very elegant flies. Do you use a specific type of bobbin with your Gossamer Silks?

Mike

Thanks Joe. I fell in love with soft hackle flies after I read the books of Mr. Nemes.

Mike - I use a Wasatch Micro Ceramic Bobbin. This bobbin is specially designed for the small silk spools. I've tyed with this bobbin for a couple years now and would highly recommend it. Very well made and a pleasure to tye with.

Nice flies, I especially like the look of the orange one. I also like to tie soft hackles, cause as a beginner wrapping soft hackles come easier to me than dry hackle. Partly because it's bigger, less wraps, and because of the lower quality dry hackle I have.

you have an olive hares ear tail less and 1 tailed.

when it has a tail doesnt it becaome a flynymph and if it has a wing isnt it considered a wetfly?

not trying to pick just trying to get it figured out straight for myself i dont fish wetflys but have looked at them.

Vary nice Fly's Ray Beautiful Indeed....Tell Ray me how has the water Been In your area...Have you been able to get out Much? It has been terrible here I have only been out Twice here...I sure hope that things are better for every body else....So you can Use those Gorgeous Wet Flys

Talk to you later

FlySlinger

bad fish rising - I view both of the olive flies as soft hackles, also referred to as wingless wet flies. I generally think of flymphs as flies that have the hackle wound through the thorax region (roughly the front 1/3rd of the body). Although many flymphs have tails, I don't see that as a mandatory requirement. The last fly could be considered a winged wet fly, but it is right on the raged edge of the line. I normally think of winged wets as the classic Bergman style flies, which use matched pairs of quills to form the wings (one on each side of the fly). My fly fly simply has a single feather tip as the wing. This style is referred to as "Glanrhos style", which uses a single feather for the wing and the hackle collar.

There is another similar style known as "henwing" (hen hackle tip is tyed in low over the back of the fly).

Example of Henwing Style

Discussion of henwing style flies

Frank (FlySlinger) - We have been getting lots and lots of rain this spring, so I have not been able to get out fishing. I should have gotten out yesterday, but my "Honey Do List" (remodeling a bathroom) took priority... :(

Ray, we pretty much have the same issues here in my neck of the woods .... too much rain. there's 3 local ponds I fish that are way over the banks and the fishing has been terrible! Due to gas prices lately my travels have been limited. So not much fishing going on here for a while.

Mike

Thanks Joe. I fell in love with soft hackle flies after I read the books of Mr. Nemes.

Mike - I use a Wasatch Micro Ceramic Bobbin. This bobbin is specially designed for the small silk spools. I've tyed with this bobbin for a couple years now and would highly recommend it. Very well made and a pleasure to tye with.

Beautiful ties, sir. I am still waiting on my Wasatch Micro Ceramic Bobbin to come in at my local fly shop. I am glad to hear your endorsement of it. It seems to take forever to get anything through my local shop, but I do try to support him. He ordered it for me about a month ago, but I guess is having issues with the folks at Hareline.