Fly Tying
largemouthTLOCD

LMB Fly suggestions

Hey everybody. With the water warming up and water level dropping the bass fishing is heating up. I took my kayak out to the St. Johns river yesterday and tried to catch some. Didn't get any bites on the fly except for about 4+ lb shad(great fight). When I switched to spinning rod I used a zoom trick worm(plastic worm)and was getting a hit almost every cast. If you've never used trick worms the tails of the worm float up when it is resting on the bottom(most of the time). What I was wanting to know is if anybody knew how to make a fly that will replicate this action. The only idea I had was maybe a bunny leech fly with lead eyes. Any ideas?

Hey everybody. With the water warming up and water level dropping the bass fishing is heating up. I took my kayak out to the St. Johns river yesterday and tried to catch some. Didn't get any bites on the fly except for about 4+ lb shad(great fight). When I switched to spinning rod I used a zoom trick worm(plastic worm)and was getting a hit almost every cast. If you've never used trick worms the tails of the worm float up when it is resting on the bottom(most of the time). What I was wanting to know is if anybody knew how to make a fly that will replicate this action. The only idea I had was maybe a bunny leech fly with lead eyes. Any ideas?

Try a worm type fly with a bit of foam tied in at the tail to raise it off the bottom. Like a v-worm

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern126.html

Thanks for the idea Robert! I'd never heard of that fly before but looks pretty easy to tie. A very small piece of foam on the tail should do the trick. I'll try it tonight and see how it works. Thanks again.

Guest rich mc

i tie a thick chenille wormfly called the shakey head worm size 6 kahle hook, 3 inchtail and small dumbell eyes tied at the bend i use scotchgard to the 1/2inch of the tail and it keeps it up also a size 2 for a 4inch length richmc

These guys have given some great suggestions. You can take a bunny leech, tie it a bit longer & glue a piece of foam to the bottom side (hide side) at the end of the tail. That will give you a similar effect as a trick worm, but rabbit has a bit more movement to it on it's own.

Get a bottle of "Tear Mender" glue, that's what many use for gluing rabbit strips together when tying Double Bunnies. It works on the foam too! :)

You can also bend the hook near the eye forward a bit (opposite way you would a bendback) so it looks like the concord, and tie the lead eyes right at the bend. This way with you can get the fly to rest with the tail pointed up

How are the shad running right now?

Thanks everybody for the ideas. I tried the idea that robert gave me and I think it will work.

Rich, I haven't found a picture of a fly like that yet but I'm going to look some more.

tidewaterfly, That sounds like a great idea. I already have some bunny leaches with lead eyes tied up so all I need is to add some foam.

agn, I'll have to try that. combining that with TWF's ideas I should be set. The big shad are running great but I've heard some are starting to die so they should be finished spawning soon. I have spring break at the end of march which should be when the baby shad start coming back down stream so i'll be fishin every day. When the baby shad come down river the bass feed like crazy and hit anything that moves. I am blessed living about 15 min. from the St. Johns river when I feel like bass fishing and less than 5 min. from the indian river lagoon when I want to catch some specs and reds. I couldn't imagine not having water near me.