Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cruzfly89

weight of vice

I know there is always talks going on about what is the best for the budget and how well they hold hooks. I figure with the expensive models they all hold hooks very well and are built to last a lifetime. While looking at the dyna king indexer, i began to wonder how it would compare to my renzetti traveler that i have been tying on for 7 years. my traveler has been an amazing vise but it is just not heavy enough for me to put a lot of thread tension on a fly such as spinning deer hair. What I'm looking for is a heavy bench vise with the ability to hold pretty much every size hook. I was tying on a renzetti master vice last weekend at my local fly shop and i was not very impressed with it slipping a hook.

I use a Regal Medallian with a C-clamp. I don't tie smaller than size 18 anymore, and usually no larger tha size 8, but I can tell you in that range, the hook is not going to budge. (I have the standard jaws)

I've had some Rotary vises, and wouldn't trade the Regal for anything. Just put the hook in and start tying. No fidgeting around with levers or knobs.

something I feel is very important here is not just weight size and center of gravity is actually the more important factors when it comes to thread tension. What I mean is if you have a base that is a foot long by 8 inches wide that weighs 4oz with the vise anchored on the left side you can put more thread tension then if you have a base that weighs 12oz and is 6by6 and anchors in the center. My example is of course for right handed tiers.

something I feel is very important here is not just weight size and center of gravity is actually the more important factors when it comes to thread tension. What I mean is if you have a base that is a foot long by 8 inches wide that weighs 4oz with the vise anchored on the left side you can put more thread tension then if you have a base that weighs 12oz and is 6by6 and anchors in the center. My example is of course for right handed tiers.

I agree with the above, but if you are really after weight, the Peak base is pretty darn heavy.

Dave

i can see the point about the thread tension, and really i can do a pretty good job at spinning on the traveler it just seems light to me to be tying biggger flies like up to 5/0. I guess maybe it wasnt designed to tie flies quite that big. ive seen the peak and it looks like a big solid vise my only concern there is the hook range it has mentioned. I know when u buy dyna king u buy a quality product, my only concern there is that 500 bucks is alot of money for me to spend right now still being in school. But if it is worth it i wouldnt have any problem forking out that kinda money. Since i tie for the fly shop i tie anywhere from 32's to huge musky flies. i just need to have a vice that will hold any size hook no matter what.

I own A Renzetti master,cam 4000,cam 3000, And The Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer. And would have to say Dyna-king is my goto vise. And you can get it for around 500.00

I like a clamp because it allows more tension when spinning hair, and for other tying as well. It allows me to put a dust bag under the vise to collect trash. I put a strong magnet in the bag to collect hooks that I might drop. With a base, the collector bag gets in my way of my bobbin.

I've never tied any huge saltwater flies, wouldn't know about that.

The Dyna King Indexer is as rock solid as any vise I know, it's a beast.

I have the Sidewinder. I think it is the heaviest and most solid vise Dyna King ever made.

I like a clamp because it allows more tension when spinning hair, and for other tying as well. It allows me to put a dust bag under the vise to collect trash. I put a strong magnet in the bag to collect hooks that I might drop. With a base, the collector bag gets in my way of my bobbin.

DING DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER! If you don't want your vise to move, use a clamp base.

Or a pedestal base that is much larger foot print than the pedestals that come with todays vises

Stability may be more important than weight

Or a pedestal base that is much larger foot print than the pedestals that come with todays vises

I agree, this could be a low cost solution for you. I have a Renzetti Traveller and a Regal, I use the Regal for larger flies, I got the Traveller for small trout flies. If I put the Traveller in the base I use for the Regal, it works fine for tying deer hair flies. The base I use for me Regal is a Griffin, its really solid and you can get it on-line at various places for $30-35.

Tom

I have a couple of c-clamps and they are sturdy. I just hate having to clamp it down and finding a place to clamp it down. I think the pedestal is just so much easier to deal with. I was messing around with a regal vice the other day and it seemed pretty simple and straight forward. I have yet to tie on a dyna king but everybody that has them seems to love them. I was just surprised at the renzetti master vice, i didn't think its hook holding was any better than my renzetti traveller, and i didn't think that would be the case. Here is my dumb question, are all bases made to hold every stem, are they all the same diameter?

I have a couple of c-clamps and they are sturdy. I just hate having to clamp it down and finding a place to clamp it down. I think the pedestal is just so much easier to deal with. I was messing around with a regal vice the other day and it seemed pretty simple and straight forward. I have yet to tie on a dyna king but everybody that has them seems to love them. I was just surprised at the renzetti master vice, i didn't think its hook holding was any better than my renzetti traveller, and i didn't think that would be the case. Here is my dumb question, are all bases made to hold every stem, are they all the same diameter?

Most, if not all American made vises, have a 3/8" stem. So, were you purchase an American made heavy-duty pedestal base for your Renzetti you would be set. A friend I tie with has an older Regal base that is very heavy, but I don't know if they're still available. I know that Dyna King has a heavy base (not quite as heavy as the old Regal), but plenty heavy.

I had a Danvise I used for travel for several years, but it had a 10mm stem, so it did not work with any stem-attached accessories I have for my other vises nor would it fit in my pedestal bases without an adapter of some sort.

Sorry is the issue hook slippage or how the vise is mounted? The original question seemed to be about hook holding strength, and if so then indeed, the Dyna-King Barracuda Indexer, like any of the Dyna-Kings, would be a better choice than a Traveler. To be fair, there is a "saltwater" variant of the Traveler, which is supposed to hold larger hooks, but I too have had problems with the standard Traveler holding big hooks, especially saltwater hooks. While I do not have a Barracuda, I do have a pedestal Supreme that holds hooks up to 4/0 just fine (haven't tied larger). The Regal Medallion with the new "pocket" brass base, which I also have, would also be a reasonable alternative. The Traveler is an excellent trout tying vise, but you will probably benefit from getting a studier vise for heavy work. Pedestals are superior to clamps in my mind due to the greater versatility, but that is another story...