Fly Tying
brad432

Making my fly tying station

Lets start off by saying this, my family is moving, and i cannot tie flies for the previous and next weeks. My mom said if i dont find a way to keep my fly tying materials neater and off the floor i wont be able to tie there at all, which wouldn't actually happen since i wouldn't stop. all my fly tying stuff is at the new house in a box :(. i hope i remember how when we finally get into the new house ;)

when we finish moving id like to build my own desk/station.

While contemplating, ive run across a few problems, as i am not good with woodwork. so, naturally i have a few questions.

I plan to basicly make a desk, with legs and storage for my materials. i also have a size limit as it will be in my room with all the other furnature.

So, here are my first round of questions:

for the storage, i was planning on drawers, but i also need room for bigger items, bucktails pheasant skins and full hackles. are there any reccomendations? also would be grateful for any reccomendations for flash, and keepng it close by, but still out of the way.

I have seen various ways of holding threads and tools, but i would be able to make a decision on that later.

If i were to put in drawers, would i need to learn to make a ball bearing, or is there an easyer way to create useable and lasting drawers.

is there a specefic brand of finish that is better or smoother? or how would i go about selecting a finish?

im sure i will come up with some more questions as i start to plan more specifically.

some of these questions probably seem dumb, im only 16, with very little experience building. i dont expect a perfect result, but i expect to learn, and hopefully have some fun while making my desk.

Thanks for all the help in advance

Brad

Find a multi-drawer plastic chest a wal-mart. Only take out the materials that you are going to use and clean up right away afterwards. Its a discipline that will serve you well the rest of your life. Don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

And if you have an ikea nearby you can get a desk cheaply there. You have to assemble it your self but its pretty easy. I second the plastic storage drawer unit. But get big ziplocs or a sealable storage tub for the bucktails. Some smell off. And might attract bugs.

Brad. I know what you mean about space. I ended up making my tying space in the walkin closet in my kids room. I had a bookshelf unit with a door that folds down into a small desk top. I keep my materials in small plastic bins and baggies. for my tools I used an old leather tool holder that I had sitting around and for thread and wire I ended up using a baby bottle drying rack but you can easily make one with a block of wood and some wood dowels from the craft store.

Brian

If I were you, I'd start haunting garage sales and look for a used computer desk. Then you can build on from there. I would also suggest getting a bookcase, one for each side of the desk, or one big one. You can, of course, store books, but most are just the right depth for storing those plastic containers the size of shoeboxes. I hang my hackle and long materials off the end of the desk and off the side of the bookcases.

I keep my most used materials like dubbing and threads on a homemade shelf on the desk. I think for most evry tier, this is an ongoing process - you never get it exactly the way you want it.

You might want to take a look thru all the posts here that show different tiers areas. Lots of cool ideas to be had there.Have fun with it.

I found my latest tying desk on craigslist. Was able to talk the seller down $60.00. After some research the desk is a fairly rare find worth $600.00

I will post pics when I get it cleaned up. Ditto on the plastic storage bins.

The quickest and easiest way, I know of, to make a desk is to use two 2-drawer metal filing cabinets and a sheet of Melamine. Melamine is particle board with a smooth white coating on one or both sides. Cut it to size and use the filing cabinets for supports. You can dress up the edge of the Melamine, with edge banding that you apply with an iron and then trim.

Alternately, build a simple table with a Melamine top and get some plastic drawer units that will fit underneath.

Don't know what type vise you are using but for your Mom's complaint about trimmings and such on the floor you might see if the lateral extension made by DynaKing would work with your set-up. It extends a c-clamped vise several inches oner the edge of the desk so you can just sit a trash can below to catch everything. http://www.dyna-king.com/accessories/

Best of Luck!

Also you can make a slide out keyboard tray into a waste catcher. Just cut out a hole and insert a plastic shopping bag and no more scraps on the floor. That equals happy mom.

You can purchase a suitable tying platform (desk, table, bench etc.) for a LOT LESS MONEY than it would cost to make if you're willing to search and employ a little patience.

You might end up paying nothing.

Brad nothing is more rewarding then building your own station but like many have stated get a pre-built one then customize it for your needs/wants. When looking for plans for my own desk I came across a cool collection on the link below. The link is from Hatch magazine's show me your bench section. This should give you a few Ideas as to how some others organize or built their stations. When I was still living in the dorms as a student I had little space and desk space was very limited, So I built a cutting board bench which I was able to tie on and keep many of my tools and a few materials on then was able to pick it all up study then when I was done studying I could continue tying. One thing you learn is every tier likes "their" station set up different and even your thoughts for the perfect bench will transform. As for the storage questions the best way to store your flash/hackles is a small section of peg board mounted on the back of your desk that you can hang items from. Another option is plactic storage under the desk like seen in the #8 bench on the link. Feel free to ask any more questions. Was looking on this site and they also have a bench database here: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=special&page=GalleriesHome&GalleriesCat=Benches

Show me your bench link: http://hatchesmagazine.com/blogs/Hatches/category/articles/fly-tying-desks-tying-areas/

Cutting board bench: http://www.tvangler.com/2008/04/10/insane-tactics-building-a-fly-tying-station-on-a-budget/

Sheesh, what is it with these mom's? You could be hanging out on street corners learning how to be a thug, instead your tying flies. Just tell her that.

I agree with the above statements on buying a used desk. Materials are so expensive, and I almost guarantee you will find one all ready to tye on thats way below the cost of you attempting to do it yourself. If you haven't made drawers and slides before you may get so frustrated you wont even finish it.

Find one thats a little beat up if you feel like you want to do some woodwork, at least the structure is there. CJ

I use a cheap computer desk on wheels and multiple plastic drawer sets I have picked up from Walmart and they fit right underneath and actually clamp my vise to the slide out keyboard slide out it's not perfect but I have a 4 year old and a 10 month old and when I'm done I just roll it into a storage room so there isn't anything for them to get into or hurt themselves with. Not going to work for everyone but works great for me.