Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Ugliest fish in Ohio

Common carp, gar, flathead cats, suckers...they're all prettier than the buffalo. But, I casted to a few on Saturday anyway, and one of them decided to eat my little white streamer. I was catching a mix of largemouth and smallmouth bass, but there were too many buffalo tailing to ignore them all night. I was surprised this fish ate, but glad it did. 22.5" long, but only gave me two short powerful runs then allowed me to beach it.

IMGP3696.jpg

IMGP3697.jpg

The record Buffalo in South Carolina comes out of Lake Wylie near where I live. It was 98 pounds , probably not a weakling. I know they routinely catch 60 pound fish. If you think trout fishermen are secretive about what is really taking big ones, these fishermen are the CIA of bait.

haha the CIA who would be the secret service then???? hmmm... they are among us.. scans room suspiciously.. but real nice buffalo and your right they def hit the ugly tree every branch all the way down

Guest rich mc

i love the water willow plants in the background signs of a good river. rich mc

It sounded like it fought- therefore it is beutiful. If you can catch it it's not ugly. But you can catch a cold so... nevermind

Carp are definately good to eat if you decide to keep it. Just scale and "score", cut through meat and bone to the skin every quarter inch, flour and deep fry. Here along the Illinois river the restaurants serve them as "boneless fish". Try it, you might like it!!!

That looked like a lot of fun. Looks like you might need some gym shoes too! Buy some wading boots haha.

I have wading boots, but I don't wear them unless I really need them. Not much rock in that portion of the river, it's mostly mud and some sand/gravel, so I leave the studded Chota's at home!

Carp are definately good to eat if you decide to keep it. Just scale and "score", cut through meat and bone to the skin every quarter inch, flour and deep fry. Here along the Illinois river the restaurants serve them as "boneless fish". Try it, you might like it!!!

Um, I've always found non-predatory fish, especially fish that grub in the mud - taste just that way. bit muddy. Stick to the meat eaters the flesh is so much better. Saying that carp came to UK to feed the romans and they were easy to keep in monastery ponds so maybe they just need preparing the right way.

If you think trout fishermen are secretive about what is really taking big ones, these fishermen are the CIA of bait.

Can promise you if you prepare some maize

Preparing Maize before cooking

Fishing with uncooked particles of any kind will harm fish. Unprepared bait will swell up after digestion by the carp and probably lead to death. Preparation of uncooked Maize is very simple. Prepare only the amount you need for one session, as the only way to store prepared particles is to Freeze them. I am sure many carp anglers have there own routine to preparation but the basics are still the same. My method is to fill a large re-sealable bucket with the amount of Maize I require. Cover this with rain water or lake water (preferably) and leave to soak for at least 24 hours. Ensure you cover the Maize by at least 6 inches of water as the Maize will expand as it re-hydrates.

Cooking Maize

Flaked Maize

After soaking the Maize it should now be re-hydrated but still very hard. You will need to transfer the Maize from your sealed bucket to your preferred method of cooking. I use two large pressure cookers that will quickly get the Maize up to boiling point. I know some angler use old Burco boilers to prepare their baits or even cook them in a slow cooker for a while. However you boil the Maize is up to you. Be prepared that it does not give off the sweetest of smells so using your home kitchen could stink the whole house out. Not the best way to get brownie points from your other half? Ensure you boil the mix vigorously for at least 30 minutes, your maize should now be softer but not mushy. Now transfer your cooked maize back to the re-sealable bucket, cover with cod liver oil so the grains are all covered.

Bait up a spot in the margins 24 - 48 hours prior to fishing, in an area with a drop off preferably and fish sweetcorn over it and bingo. The fish will be queing up.

any fish on the end of my line looks good to me except maybe a dogfish. They are ugly. Never caught one on a fly though.