Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Fish For Life

looped tippet

I am going after 3 fish. Trout, Pike and bass. I have 3 different size tippet for the different fish. I was wondering if i could make a loop at end of tippet and another loop at end of fly line and connect the two just using the loops. It would be much easier then tying the tippet onto the line each time i want to go for a different fish. Also i want to know if my line is a good size for the fish. for Pike I have 40lb mono line, I know it is big for but i chose it so the pike wont cut the line as easily. Bass i got some 10lb line and trout i have some 6lb.

thanks

post-44005-0-16243700-1340914667_thumb.jpg

I have been doing this for a while now and it works great. I use the loop to loop connection both from line to leader and from leader to shock tippet. Depending on where I am fishing and water clarity, I regularly switch from 20# to 30# tippet and this makes it a breeze. Plus, after changing flies a few times I just tie on a new tippet as the older gets shorter while the leader itself never gets shorter.

That system for making a loop in the end of your line is nifty.

I simnply use a nail knot on the line tied with mono the size of the leader butt, then make a loop about 4 inches out and then go loop to loop with leaders during changes. Same lop to loop with tippet replacments. The one advantage with this is that if the line connection fails -- and there is a lot of stress there overtime the with bigger fish I always catch (grin), you can redo it on the water w/o any paraphanelia. It means two more knots to go through the guides but I've never had much of a problem with it even with king salmon/steelhead.

1B

There's another way to make the loops on the fly line, braided loops (http://www.rioproducts.com/fly-fishing-gear/extras/braided-loops/). Rio as well as others have them. They are kind of like the old "Chinese finger cuffs", the braid slides over the fly line and, when pulled, tightens. I always work the fly line as far into the braid as I can then superglue the entire braid.

If I'm out in the river and for some reason the the loop breaks I make a loop using some "heavier" tippit and just double over the fly line and whip finish the line like I would if I wanted to prevent a rope from fraying. Here is a link to a video of how to tie it. http://www.instructables.com/id/Condition-and-Dye-Your-Own-Hemp-Rope/step11/Finish-the-rope-ends/

I am going after 3 fish. Trout, Pike and bass. I have 3 different size tippet for the different fish. I was wondering if i could make a loop at end of tippet and another loop at end of fly line and connect the two just using the loops. It would be much easier then tying the tippet onto the line each time i want to go for a different fish. Also i want to know if my line is a good size for the fish. for Pike I have 40lb mono line, I know it is big for but i chose it so the pike wont cut the line as easily. Bass i got some 10lb line and trout i have some 6lb.

thanks

You may find pike still nip through the 40lb mono as the resistance to cutting when under tension isn't all that great. The titanium bite leaders can be attached with the loop to loop and you would be able to fish a finer leader like 10lb with a short 10inch length of wire. The finer leader will allow the fly to move better and movements what you're after for any predator. The 40lb mono may be too stiff to let the fly dance. Rio Powerflex Knottable Wire Bite Tippet and American Wire Surfstrand I can recommend and it can be tied on direct to fly or I use a small snap link. This style of snap will not open up on you. post-42518-0-20066800-1340978771_thumb.jpg

The titanium tippets are more expensive but will outlast many traditional wire tippets

You have been answered above. I fish warmwater and salt whenever I get the chance. I have been using loop to loop between leader and fly line for several years. 95% of my fishing time I use a loop to loop between leader and tippet. For me it makes much faster changes while on the water. If I recall correctly I picked it up off of Lefty and if it is good enough for Lefty it is good enough for me. I also use loop to loop for the fly line to backing connection for the same reason. Easy line change on the water if required.

I can't help you with the loop but I like what I see and hope to try it out on the water :rolleyes:.

This is nice that we have a place to find most any thing to get the fish on the line.

Mark

So, are people having 2 loop to loop connections? One from fly line to leader and one from the leader to tippet as well? I use a blood knot from leader to tippet but I am curious how the loop to loop works out.

So, are people having 2 loop to loop connections? One from fly line to leader and one from the leader to tippet as well? I use a blood knot from leader to tippet but I am curious how the loop to loop works out.

For pike, I direct knot the wire tippet to the leader. I have also used a pre tied furled one from bluesky leaders.

For trout I use loop/loop , a small ring , and bloodknot. I haven't found any difference in strength or turnover with any of them. The ring and loop/loop allow a change of tippet without effecting leader length so I tend to do that more these days.

II use loop to loop from fly line to leader, and again, from leader to tippet. Once the loops draw tight, it's like having a square knot in the sequence. It doesn't work loose, and casts beautifully.

Yes, I use a loop to loop between leader and tippet. It works fine for warmwater. can't say for cold water. I have never had a need to use shock tippets but I doubt that attaching a heavy mono tippet by a loop to loop would be a good idea.

Yes, I use a loop to loop between leader and tippet. It works fine for warmwater. can't say for cold water. I have never had a need to use shock tippets but I doubt that attaching a heavy mono tippet by a loop to loop would be a good idea.

I would only ever drop diameter as I move from fly line to fly. If you need a strong line against the fly for abrassion or similar then I would step the whole rig up. Or just go level with a length of decent dia line from the fly to flyline.