Fly Tying
sportingafield

C clamp versus base for fly tying vises

I am considering upgrading my current vise to a Regal Medallion. My current vise uses a c-clamp, but I am thinking of getting the bronze pocket base for the Regal. I'd appreciate any input on both the Regal Medallion vise and preferences for c-clamp versus base. It looks like the bronze base would provide sufficient stability, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Don't use that specific vice but I tie on a base. I think you said it, it comes down to stability. If you tie a lot of deer hair or patterns that need good thread tension you'll want the base to be heavy enough. I would think that the vice stem would fit in your old C clamp so you could always swap over if the base was too light.

I have had regal vises in both configurations. I like c clamp for most tying but if you tie away from home or dont have a fixed location like a desk or workbench to tie on then a heavy pedistal base is fine. A friend uses a pedistal base combined with a large c clamp (like you would use in your workshop) that allows him to be portable and still spin deer hair without moving around.

I am considering upgrading my current vise to a Regal Medallion. My current vise uses a c-clamp, but I am thinking of getting the bronze pocket base for the Regal. I'd appreciate any input on both the Regal Medallion vise and preferences for c-clamp versus base. It looks like the bronze base would provide sufficient stability, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Have that base on my Medallion, and I think the pocket pedestal is the best choice. It is plenty heavy enough for tying deer hair and larger flies, and the pockets come in handy when you have to put something down and you don't want it getting lost.. Personally, I would argue a sufficiently heavy base/pedestal is considerably more versatile than the c-clamp (have several, never use them anymore). YMMV.

I have the Regal with a C clamp but am considering getting a base for it. When I tie on the road or at a show, I take my Renzetti Traveler because of the base and never knowing what kind of table I will have to clamp the Regal to.

At home, I keep my Regal clamped to my table inside and I have my Renzetti on the pedestal outside (I have two or three tying areas). To keep the base stable on the Renzetti outside, I just clamp the base to the table.

Now, if you sit with your legs crossed, the extended part of this clamp may give you problems. It actually sits to the side of my left leg by the time I put a hook in the vise.

Kirk

DSC_5543-1.jpg

That's a clever idea, but, as long as you are clamping the base to the table, why don't you reverse the base? That will put the clamp well off to the side. Just a thought.

I have a Renzetti 4000 with the saltwater base. It's somewhat over sized, weighs a ton, and never moves. I'm sure you can find something similar for the Regal. I never minded tying with a C-clamp vise, but having a good heavy pedestal base allows you more options in positioning your work area.

At my tying desk I use a base on top of a piece of non-skid material,(it is sold in woodworking shops for router projects). I like the ability to move it easily. I have a C-Clamp for my traveling kit. B)

I've had both at one time or another - nowadays, I use a simple Griffin Superior vise that came with both a base and a clamp, but I use the base 100% of the time, and stability has never been an issue. The base is heavy with a rubber bottom, so it doesn't move unless I want it to. Guess it's whatever blows your hair back.

Kirk...

I like "the German Ingenuity"!

All...

I have both pedestal and C-clamp vises, but have never really used the pedestal based one. My gripe about pedestal-based vises is that they cannot be readily adjusted for their height, unless you raise the elevation of what you set them on. This has become quite problematic since Coke no longer comes in wooden cases!

I use a Regal C-clamp and solved the table top thickness and edge depth by simply clamping it to a piece of scrap white pine 1" X 15" X 12", which I have sitting on top of my table. With the clamp up very near the edge of my table, and my home-made tool caddy and 'back drop' sitting at the back edge to act as counter balances, I have absolutely no problems with it moving, or interfering with my tying deer hair bugs. I take the very light 'assembly' to the classes I teach, and to demonstrations, even works on top of 2" thick tabletops found in many campgrounds---no fuss; no muss.

Frank

post-8431-0-25412800-1343827421_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-70250700-1343827435_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-63471200-1343827451_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-68021200-1343827466_thumb.jpg

post-8431-0-15091100-1343827485_thumb.jpg

That's a clever idea, but, as long as you are clamping the base to the table, why don't you reverse the base? That will put the clamp well off to the side. Just a thought....

And its a great thought! Don't know how I didn't think of it. I tried it last night after reading your suggestion and it works just like you suspected by putting the clamp to the left so I don't have a clamp extension in between my knees!

Thanks,

Kirk

I have always used a C-Clamp vise and recently switched to a Peak Vise that came with both a cclamp and pedestal. Decided to try out the pedestal and haven't turned back. I tie some big ties, deer hair (stacking,spinning), etc and haven't had any issues so far. Im not sure I'd go back to the c-clamp but its nice to have in case it becomes necessary. Just my $.02! :ph34r:

Because of back problems, I like to tie with the vise at betweeen nose and chin level while I sit up straight. None of the stock or extension stems on vices are long enough -- even with metal bases -- for that, so I built a pedestal out of white oak that gives me the elevation I want.

The key gadget in the works is a half hollowed-out piece of metal tube with a set screw in the side to keep the stem in place and a large, long, screw through the base that holds it in place. This dingus is a about 2" high overall which, combined with wood risers over the 18" by 4" oak base, gives me plenty of elevation range. They used to be available at most fly shops back in the mists of time but I have not seen any in years.

Non-skid soft plastic buttons underneath the rig keep it from moving. The work surface for a long time was covered with a low glare white rubberized sheet magnetized to keep hooks from sliding all over the place. It got pretty shabby so I replaced it with a sheet of yellow craft foam that is also non glare.

I built it 20 or so ago and have never had a problem with it.

Oh, it knocks down in a flash for portability but it would not be of much use in streamside tying. A local fly fishing club holds "beer tyes" at a local Irish pub that I have been meaning to attend.

Rocco

I use a base primarily because I like to rest my elbows on the table when I tie. I have only used one C-clamp but it was so long ago I forgot what it was like. Maybe I'll pick up a C-clamp for travel seeing how it's lighter.

Thank you all for your responses. This was my first use of the flytyingforum and I am impressed. I ordered the Regal vise with the brass pocket base. Fish on; tie on.

I got these custom made C clamps that do a better job then the base style.

th_DSC_0005.jpg