Fly Tying
fdfretes

ATTN: All Nor-Vise Users

The Nor-vise is very easy to disassemble,...no need for pics or video. Remove the rear hub and the front hub/jaw assembly via two set screws. Now loosen the set screw on the drive disc and slide it off the arbor (spindle). You'll notice a retaining clip on the arbor immediately in front of the front bearing, but there's no need to touch it. Slide the arbor out through the front of the housing. You're now down to the basic housing with a bearing on each end. The bearings are a simple drop-in fit. If a bearing feels too snug and doesn't readily release from the housing, you can give it a gentle tap with a dowel or other suitable drift. It's a two minute procedure.

When I got my Nor-vise, I repeatedly spun the jaws with varying amounts of input, taking note of the duration and smoothness of each spin. At a later date, I decided to try another lubricant in the bearings. I removed the bearings, bathed them in solvent, and lubricated them with a product that I've had positive experience with in the past. It's very slippery, doesn't seem to dry out or get tacky with prolonged use as do some other light oils, and it offers great protection from corrosion. I'd conservatively say the vise spun 50% longer, though I have no means of valuing how much more functional (if any) it made the vise.

I wouldn't bother with ceramic bearings. While the fast spin of the Nor-vise is impressive for fly tying, the speed at which the vise rotates is very slow relative to other applications that use bearings. Ceramic bearings are useful for limited applications, particularly bearings that rotate at very high speed and generate plenty of heat in the process (e.g., dental drills that turn 500,000 rpm); or for delicate instrumentation where weight is crucial; or for highly corrosive environments. A pair of hybrid replacement bearings could certainly cost $50, and full ceramics would be more. IMO, they would offer zero advantage and would be wasted money in the Nor-vise.

If I were to choose a replacement bearing, I might opt for one with a single shield or with non-contact seals (with one seal removed). I'd position the bearings so the open sides faced each other and were thus protected from environmental dust and tying material debris intrusion; but the open side would make maintenance easier when necessary.

Tips:

• Use the rotating feature, especially the spinning action, whenever and wherever it benefits. You'll get accustomed to the vise sooner and get more out of it.
  • For faster tying, lock the hub when necessary, realizing that it's often not necessary to do so. Locking the hub is added motion.
  • Use half hitches as required, but hitches aren't required every time you use the move the thread over to the post.
  • It's not always necessary to move the thread to the post when using the rotating feature.
  • If using the inline jaws, use the "thread torque method" to apply tails on smaller patterns.

I hope the vise is everything you expected...and more.

Thanks for that writeup, bugsy.

As of right now ive already got a nice bamboo board marked for drilling as soon as the vice gets here, and the UPS tracking site says Out for delivery.

The delivery guy usually shows up either at 10-11am or 2-3pm. Reviewed all the online nor-vise videos yesterday so its just a long and painful wait at this point...watching a movie and having some steak quesadillas for breakfast...its gonna be a good day today... :D

I bought my Nor-Vise directly from Norm at a sports show about 12 years ago.
Prior to that, I had used a wide variety of vises,, everything from a Thompson model A, a Regal, a Renzetti Master, and a Dynaking Monarch. None of those vises worked as well for me as the Nor-Vise.
As I tie mostly large patterns, I went with the saltwater jaws. I highly recommend the automatic bobbin. After you get used to one, it is hard to do without. Just the time saved taking up the slack after whip finishing would make it worth while for me!
I upgraded from the thumb wheel to the cam as soon as it came out, big improvement.
When the travel kit came out, I added that. Very handy!
Many of my flies use bucktail or deerhair, and applying enough pressure to flare hair exposed what I see as the one weakness of the Nor-Vise system, the single attachment point of the vise to the table. Heavy pressure can occasionally cause the vise to move at its attachment point.
My solution to this was a machined block of aluminum. I removed the base ring from the vise, leaving the 5/8" shaft stepped down to 1/2". The aluminum block has a 1/2" drilled hole, with a countersunk hole at the bottom for the mounting screw. A set screw inserted from the back side prevents any rotation. The aluminum block mounts to the table with 2 screws. The result is a rock solid connection to the table, no movement at all.

post-45575-0-42013300-1352752641_thumb.jpg

My setup with vise, travel board, thread post and light.

post-45575-0-92094700-1352752671_thumb.jpg

Closeup of vise showing custom base.

post-45575-0-79946900-1352752686_thumb.jpg

Bottom view shows 2 screws attaching vise to board, preventing vise rotation. The dark circle is a non-slip foam disk, one of 3. Sweet little option!

post-45575-0-13815100-1352752704_thumb.jpg

The back side of the vise and base, showing set screw.

This mod has been awesome, it is definitely nice to tie with a rock solid vise.

If you have not been to You Tube and watched ALL his videos,, do it. That is what sold me. The dubbing brush option is nice if you have the need for it. The videos sold me. I do have other vises but the NOR-VISE with the automatic bobbin system is so fast when you get used to it. Watch the videos. My best advise.

SILKHDH

Thanks guys - by now ive had the Nor-Vise for a while and if I may say so I have gotten fairly proficient in its use...i didnt really think it had a steep learning curve but then again I was never much good with a regular vise anyways...was just learning how to tie...I think its an excellent vise and an excellent investment...

If you have not been to You Tube and watched ALL his videos,, do it. That is what sold me. The dubbing brush option is nice if you have the need for it. The videos sold me. I do have other vises but the NOR-VISE with the automatic bobbin system is so fast when you get used to it. Watch the videos. My best advise.

SILKHDH

In another post, you stated you made your own version of a Norvise (in addition to others). Do you have any photos to post? I'm sure others would be interested in its construction, as well as that of the other vises you crafted. Probably worth its own thread??

A question I have about the Nor Vice. First let me explain the background. I'm considering moving to a Nor Vice for one reason only... Speed. Being a production tier I can "get on with the job". I do tie fairly fast, but more speed = more fishing time, and which of us doesn't want that. I don't think I can get significantly faster using my current vice (LAW Bench vice).

My question is regarding tying position. For comfort I tie in a very low position. Every time I see a Nor vice in use it is mounted on a baseboard or table top. This would raise my tying position significantly. Is it possible to mount the vice and bobbin cradle on a clamp and extension in a similar way to how I set up my current vice?

Cheers,

C.

My question is regarding tying position. For comfort I tie in a very low position. Every time I see a Nor vice in use it is mounted on a baseboard or table top. This would raise my tying position significantly. Is it possible to mount the vice and bobbin cradle on a clamp and extension in a similar way to how I set up my current vice?

Cheers,

C.

The upright (stem) on the Norvise isn't that tall. Compared to other vises I've used, the height of the actual hook shank above the desk is much lower when mounted in the Norvise. For example, with my HMH collet at near 30 degrees, the hook shank is about 9.5" above table height. With the Norvise, it's about 7-5/8".

Here is the table clamp for a Nor-Vise. As far as I know there is no such thing as an extension arm for a Nor-Vise.

Would have to custom make that yourself. Thats one fall back to the Nor-Vise with its oversized stem instead of the standard 3/8". Smart for Norm though. If you want any options for his vise, you got to get it from him. Heck , call Norm himself amd recomend to him to start making them. He might just do it.

BUGSY,

I need to get off my butt and take some pics of my vises I made. You will like them. I will say I made my Nor-Vise with a 3/8" stem. All my options I have for my other vises will fit on it.

post-19822-0-91533000-1352842256_thumb.jpeg

I have been using the norvise for 5 years. The only modification I have made is to counterbalance the fine point jaws. Free rotation leaves the jaws in the correct position so it is not completely counterbalanced. The counterbalance mounting hole is standard screw thread 8-32. The counterbalance weight is brass tubing filled with lead, and a 1 1/2" machine screw in the center. You could just as easily use stacked washers for weight and adjust the amount to get the counterbalance right. The new version of the fine point jaws do not include the hubs, so you cannot do this with the new kit unless you drill and tap the rear hub yourself.

norvise_2.jpg

The last version of that jaw configuration (prior to the newest) had the hole for the counterweight drilled on the opposite side as compared to yours above.

Now norm is offering large hub arbors with a turning handle. So that the turning handle can be put on the other conversion arbors. For 20$ you can swap out a regular arbor for a drilled and tapped one.

I have used one for the past 6 years. When I first got it I remember telling myself to go ahead and make the plunge. I had used Griffens, Renzetis, Danvise, in short, looking for the perfect vise. Once I learned how to use the vise and its acc. I will never go back to the old. I have tied everything in every size (02-24) and have always been amazed at how versatile this vise is. You have to decide to "get out of the box", and once you have you will be extremely pleased.

Im sure everyone must know by now but in case you do not Norm Norlander passed away last year. I hope his excellent vise and bobbin holder will live on. If youve not seen his videos do yourself a favor and check them out on YouTube

RIP Norm