Fly Tying
T_Bone

Vise selection

I know there are plenty of posts on this topic, and I have began reading some, but I am looking for a faster answer than sorting through thousands of posts.

I am considering a new vise in the next 6 months or so. The one I am using I believe is known as a Zephyr vise. It has a lot of the nice features you see on pricey vises, like being rotational, it has the ability to tie many sizes of hooks, and it is on a pedestal which I have come to love. It was somewhere in the neighborhood of $80-$90 and has over all served me well for about a year. I have literally tied close to 1000 flies in that vise. I have tied flies from size 2/0 to 20 on it and that was where I went wrong.

There was no manual with it when I bought it. In fact the only markings on the entire vise are "PAKISTAN" on the back of the rotary handle an I had no idea what it was until I possibly stumbled upon it at ohioflyfishing.org/reviews (or something like that) last night. So I never really learned what size hooks it was supposed to accept. In the process of tying 2/0 hooks I believe I wore out the jaws.

I was still tying 8-14 with no problems but after trying to tie an 18 and then some 16's it is obvious there is now a groove worn into the jaw tips.

As I searched, initially I was awe struck by the Nor vise. It is awesome in the way that it works and the engineering that it utilizes. However it seems that this vise has its draw backs as do all others. Norm has done a good job I think of addressing these weaknesses by making and manufacturing adapters to tie flies that the standard design would have made difficult. The draw back still is that these adapters and accessories that I feel are necessary for me to justify owning this vise are pricey and after putting together the package I would want I was almost at $700.

The main points as to why I loved this vise were:

a)speed

b)the ability to make hair brushes with it easily

c)making chennilles out of about any material that you can think of (mostly peacock herl) to add strength to your flies

But after reassessing I have come to these conclusions:

a)I am not a professional and part of tying to me is the time it takes and the unwinding I do psychologically as I wind these threads and feathers and hair

b)I can make or purchase a hair brush spinner for far less money

c)well I cannot think of any good counter argument to c (above) so.....

So I have concluded rather than tap out my annual funding for fun on one purchase, maybe I ought to consider my other options. The griffin patriot has been serving a friend of mine very well for a couple of years, and so I looked over the griffin product line. They are affordable and the new Montana Mongoose seems to be everything I am looking for in a vise, and to boot most vendors offer it with pretty much every aftermarket accessory you could need.

HMH has a solid reputation and their design for a rotary vise doesn't appear all that aesthetically amazing, but I get the impression it is a rock solid design and despite it being a little more cash, it has a lifetime guarantee and is made right here in New England. Which I am a fan of.

The Daville Danvise looks cool but I am looking for something with a litle more potential as a life time purchase. My research here tells me they are not the toughest vises out there. I am not concluding or insinuating that they are an inferior product, but I have found in my reading that they are famous for failing jaws.

Renzetti makes a couple options in my price range that I find acceptable and their reputation is good, but I just am not finding them so alluring. And the same for Dyna King. And the Regal I have not invested much time researching either as they don't catch my eye a they are a bit on the pricier side.

I'm leaning more towards the Griffin at the moment. I like the way it works it has the features I want and it is really reasonable compared to my other options. And it is American made, which makes me happy and I'm not saying that I think they can't make fine vises across the pond, but in these times I consider all my options made on American soil first. I want to support our economy first if possible.

Advise opinions... That is what I am looking for. I'm looking to spend a little less than $300 but I want as much as I can get for that money.

Thanks for reading and giving me any input that might have.

T~

Are you able to tie on any of the vises you have listed? Everyone agrees picking a vise is a matter of personal taste so ya need to give 'em all a lick and see which one ya want to bite :lol: I own and have used the Danvice for 4-5 years now and you are correct, the jaws will get outta wack pretty easily. My future vise WILL be an HMH...which one I do not know yet. Of course when I win the lottery I will build my own fly tying Disnyland and furnish it with one of each type of vise and a supply room the size of my present house... :lol: well...I can dream can't I?

Murray

As a more than satisfied Peak Rotary owner i have to recommend that, it has what your looking for American made, heavy duity, a good warranty, and best of all its only half the price you are willing to spend. Plus there are LOADS of add ons for this vise. Ive used mine for about 3 years and i love it! Good luck!

Evan

We all have our own individual pros and cons for ever vice. For me, cam jaws and rotary top the "must have" list, regardless of brand. For someone else, it's something different.

If it's at all possible, tie on several different styles of vice, not necessarily different brands. What I mean is Nor-Vise will have a different "feel" than a Regal, which will be different from a Renzetti/Dyna King. Try different hook clamping methods, and rotary vs. non-rotary.

I really believe that a vice is as personal as a pair of shoes. And until you try them on, you really don't know if it will work for you.

"I really believe that a vice is as personal as a pair of shoes."

Very true. I've been tying for a few years, and finally settled on what looks like my last vise - a Regal Medallion. I've gone thru a lot of vises over the years, and really don't have any complaints about any of them. I just got tired of fiddling with screws and such when changing hook sizes, and wanted something that was built to last. I'm not, or ever was, a production tyer. I'm not concerned about speed (I don't even bother to keep my scissors in my hand). Like you, I enjoy just the act of tying; it's not a race. I've had full rotary vises, but like a lot of folks, never used the rotary feature to it's full potential.

It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into selecting another vise, and what you end up with is strictly you're choice. If you can, try out those choices you have narrowed down and see how they feel. All the vise makers that have been around for a while make a good vise, it's just a matter of what you want in a vise, and how it suits you.

Remember - the job of any vise is just to hold a hook so you can lash some feathers and fur to it.

Murray - If you hit the lottery and go for that dream house, let me know. I am up for adoption. I'm quiet and don't eat much. :lol:

Think of it this way. Features + quality = price. You want to spend $300. To keep this simple lets consider that fixed. To produce a high quality vice costs more. To add more features costs more. If price is fixed and you want more features then quality must fall. If you want high quality then the features must go down accordingly. As we say over here you can't have your cake and your ha'penny. Decide which you want, and sacrifice the other. If it is to be a "life time purchase" then quality is an issue. How many flies are you going to tie in a life time?

I think your old vice was quite expensive. 1000 flies out of an $80 vice is 8c per fly just in vice wear. That's a lot. I suppose it just shows that buying cheap can make this an expensive pastime. My vice has had over 10,000 flies through it since new, and will do another 10,000 from the look of it. There is no noticeable wear. Even if it had cost $800 (which it didn't) it would be cheaper than your first vice by 50%.

Even though you said you don't tie commercially, bringing a limit to what you will spend into it makes this kind of analysis valid. Possibly more valid that anecdotal evidence for the quality of this or that vice. You may not want to produce the numbers of flies I do (tying commercially) but if it is to be a "life time" purchase then a fairly high quality is a must.

Cheers,

C.

As a more than satisfied Peak Rotary owner i have to recommend that, it has what your looking for American made, heavy duity, a good warranty, and best of all its only half the price you are willing to spend. Plus there are LOADS of add ons for this vise. Ive used mine for about 3 years and i love it! Good luck!

Evan

X2! I love my Peak as well. Had mine for about the same amount of time. It may be the last vise I ever buy and at $150, you cant go wrong. To fully appreciate the rotary feature though, I'd get the D-Arm. Runs about $10. Great, rock solid vise! With the extra jaws, you can tie from 32-6/0 on the same vise.

I agree spend the most you can to achieve z balance of quality over features. A dubbing brush maker is easy to make for less than a vice company charge you.

I own a Thompson Model A at the moment which costs me 20 dollars. I have put a few thousand flies through it so far, lord only knows how many the previous owner(s) tied on it, and it will likely be fine for a few tens of thousand more. I cannot make myself spend more than about 100-150 dollars on a vise. I just cannot justify the expense, nor do i understand what makes something this small cost less than some major appliances. Some people do, and that's awesome. I'm just saying sometimes, a low price tag dosent mean low quality. Hell, my 1st vise was a cheapo india one that i got for like 8 dollars, and it lasted me 2 years.

Seriously, picking up one of these for now, while you try pricier vises to see what you like, is worthwhile.

Amanda

about the only vise i could justify spending 160 ish on, is the Regal Medallion. I don't think any vise on the market is as durable as that particular vise in that particular range. Now, keep in mind I also have a 400 plus dollar Jvice, and I'm looking at a back up for that to replace the Regal Medallion which is rock solid, but not true rotary.

As far as what you said Hellg, looking at the Jvice was a matter more than the ability to tie flies and a vice holding a hook. It was very aestetically pleasing, and I splurged. It is something I look at everyday, and I can't look at something ugly on a daily basis, especially involved in something I love doing. It starts off necessity, it ends up an amenity to the experience.

Some go down that road, some don't. To each their own.

although, even the thompson model a is a step above tying a fly while holding the hook with your fingers haha

about the only vise i could justify spending 160 ish on, is the Regal Medallion. I don't think any vise on the market is as durable as that particular vise in that particular range. Now, keep in mind I also have a 400 plus dollar Jvice, and I'm looking at a back up for that to replace the Regal Medallion which is rock solid, but not true rotary.

As far as what you said Hellg, looking at the Jvice was a matter more than the ability to tie flies and a vice holding a hook. It was very aestetically pleasing, and I splurged. It is something I look at everyday, and I can't look at something ugly on a daily basis, especially involved in something I love doing. It starts off necessity, it ends up an amenity to the experience.

Some go down that road, some don't. To each their own.

although, even the thompson model a is a step above tying a fly while holding the hook with your fingers haha

Pretty serious step above. I love my Thompson, and am only contemplating buying a xuron because I simply want one, not because I think I will ever wear the Thompson out or need a vise that does anything it does not. Even so, I am still puzzled that some vises cost as much as they do, though I tied on an HMH once and admit, it was a really wonderful vise.

I have recently purchased a Jvice and am very very happy with it. I took the pro jaws and a desk stand instead of a big wooden base (I made my own) This cut down on postage and came in around $280 including postage and a bobbin rest. You could go without a bobbin rest and save even more. Jay is happy to shave the vice post so it fits standard american diameter extras so you could even buy just the vice on a stem and use your old base saving further. When I compared the Jvice and the american vices by Peak and Renzetti etc, there was no contest. Its hand made and I had it coloured and a couple of extras and it would have come in nearly double the price for a same spec renzetti.

post-42518-0-34235900-1354265504_thumb.jpg

OK Colin you know where I am, bring it round. The trip back will be easy... you will not be carrying a vice!

Very nice, I wish I had the funds and the need. I think if I was looking I wouldn't look much further, but with what I have I can't justify it.

Cheers,

C.

Every time this topic has been brought up, its like starting up world war three. lol. Everyone has there favorite.

Griffin Montana Mongoosse<<< Got one. Have one gripe. The material clip spring would fling off. But lifetime warranty.

NEED I SAY MORE !!!!!! There service was excellent the few times I needed it. I lost the spring when it flung off once. LOL I have since made my own vises. I have axcess to a full machine shop. A luxury few people have.

You mensioned a vise for life. Well,, Griffin as a lifetime warranty. There ya go.