Fly Tying
rolsen

JANUARY flies

I normally dont tie sub 26, those tiny flies are so small I just lose the enjoyment of it... but last night filling a midge box I was out of 26's and had to use some 28's... The flies were just the "Al's Rat" so it's an easy tie... but man alive those who love to tie 28-32... Bless you - it's an art unto itself!

The funny thing, is that they look positively microscopic next to the 24's of the same pattern :)

Mr Jam,

If you go to a fishing show how many of the tiers do you see using magnifiers? That's because they are in on a secret. You don't need them. Reading glasses have a focal point designed for reading. Tying happens at a different distance. Get someone to measure the distance from the bridge of your nose to the vice jaws when you tie. Then get your optician to make you a pair of reading glasses with the focus set to that point. The distance can be 50% different from reading distance.

Cheers,

C.

Maybe the last add to January flies.. I actually saw a dream and a fly like this, I had to tie it biggrin.png

post-46140-0-46450200-1359656781_thumb.jpg

quick question planettrout - what is the body and underbody of your caddis? Has great glow!

Slippin into my lightweight waders soon, so I have been filling my warm water fly boxes. Currently, they are pretty empty. Started with these.

post-12074-0-78544800-1359686598_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-01179900-1359686625_thumb.jpg

Last fly of the month, trying to get a fire tiger look, getting closer, but still not quite there. This is also the first fly I have ever tied with a rattle. I used clear cure goo and thread to seat it then used it as a base for the eyes then added more goo. I hope the smallies like it this summer.

8433048707_28953c1300_z.jpg