Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
netabrookie

Fish Tally

I was just wondering how many fellow fly fishermen count or keep a tally on the fish they catch? I only started doing this in 2011, but I couldn't remember to write it down all the time so my records are not accurate. I improved with the record keeping in 2012, but only got to fish less than half of my usual because of all the hernia stuff that I had to deal with. I completely missed all of the fall fishing that I love and only went a couple times in December 2012. If I forgot to write it down (which I did a few times) then I don't count it in the grand total. The few fish that did grace my net were as follows: Rainbows, only 187, with the biggest being a little over 18 inches. Browns, (don't laugh too hard) only 7, with the biggest being about 17 inches. Brookies,(and this is very depressing to me) only 47, with the biggest at 14 1/2 inches. Smallmouth, was only 78, with the biggest being a tad over 20 inches. The panfish went over the 200 mark, but I got bored with counting them so I'm not sure of the exact number. I had two of what I call a "hillbilly grand slam". Thats when I catch a bow, a brown and a brookie from the same creek on the same day. I am sure that some out there on good waters can match or beat this in a matter of days instead of it taking a year. I am hoping that I can get back in the groove this year and make my numbers go a lot higher. I think I can because now I can concentrate on fishing instead of holding my side and hurting on every cast. I enjoy being outside and on the water if I am catching something or not, but I prefer the catching... Take Care, Tony

Two extreme approaches to this. I know people who fish for England in competitions, they carry one of those small hand tally clickers to count fish accurately. I am at the other end of things, to me the competition is between me and the fish, I feel competition with other anglers lessons the value put on the fish. I've suffered deplorable, even dangerous, behaviour by people fishing in competitions when I've been on the water. Once several boats tried to force us from the water as we continued to fish after their competition ended. If this is how they view fellow anglers how much respect do they show to the fish?

Some years ago I came across the fact that a lot of the world isn't numerate. To many people counting goes one, two, many, lots. That's how I count fish. Some of my best days fishing have only had a couple of fish come to the net. The days I learn most are the ones with one or two hard won fish. It is nice sometimes to have those days when everything comes together. If it happened all the time I wouldn't fish.

All this reminds me of the old joke,

A life long chalk stream fisherman dies, he finds himself in a meadow that seems familiar, his favourite length of the stream he fished lay at the bottom of the meadow. As he wandered down to the stream he sees his old ghillie waiting for him. When he gets there the old ghillie greets him and hands him his favourite rod with his best fly already tied on. Then points out a really nice trout rising across the stream. Under the ghillie's guidance he makes a perfect cast, the fish rises and takes the offered fly. After a good fight the ghillie nets the fish, and says,

"There's another good one moved into that same place, have a go for him." The old gentleman makes another perfect cast, rises and hooks the fish, plays it and when he lands it the ghillie says.

"Look another in the same spot." The third cast results in a third fish just like the previous two. Once the fish has been returned the old gentleman turns to his ghillie and says.

"Lets move upstream a bit and look for other fish."

"Sorry sir," says the ghillie. "That's not permitted. This is your spot and is where you will fish. You can not go anywhere else."

Angered by this the old man says,

"Oh hell!"

The ghillie replies.

"Precisely sir."

Cheers,

C.

I used to count all the fish I caught, but age has changed my outlook.

I now regard a good fishing trip as one where I've enjoyed myself, whether through catching a lot of trout/grayling, or fooled a specific wary creature, or just revelled in my surroundings, companions and the nature around me. Numbers are almost irrelevant.

One club I'm on the waiting list for requires recording all fish caught, taken or returned so I'll be back to counting sometime soon!

Simon

I do have a book where I note special fish, first from a venue, first of a species, PB size. I used to make a note of weather conditions and water temp and all that but now my fishing time is more restricted I tend to go out whatever the condition and aim to make the most of it. I will admit when I used to be able to pick my fishing days, keeping a note of what was caught where under what weather and water conditions helped catch more when the weather/conditions were less than ideal.

Now I just keep a note of what the tide height is on the tide prediction site compared to the physical evidence at the water because I have noticed, even when the high tide is predicted at the same height, depending on the wind direction and moon phase I cannot access the venue due to water being in the way so it pays me to keep an eye on that to save a wasted trip.

I've kept diligent records since I first started fishing.

Large Mouth bass ... 1,000,004 with 200,453 over 10 pounds

Sunfish (all species combined) ... 4,094,388 with 3,302,434 over 1 pound

Crappie (black and white species combined) ... 1,979,332 all of them over 2 pounds

Catfish (all species combined) ... 991,034 with 200,322 over 30 pounds

All saltwater species combined ... 4 with one hammer head shark weighing 68 pounds

Okay, maybe my records aren't quite so "diligent" and the above numbers are a little exaggerated, except 1.

I didn't mean to come off sounding like the score keeper at the local ball game. I just try to use the numbers to maybe improve myself and to try and learn from mistakes made. I agree that some of my best days were the days that I didn't catch all that many fish but got the chance to fool a couple wise fish. I like the days when the fish are tough to get and you are lucky to have caught 3 or 4. Peaking over or around a boulder or peering through the laurels and spotting a sweet little fish is very exciting and then you have to move yourself into position to try and fool that fish. There has been some days that I get in a creek and have a blast with the rainbows and net 30 or 40 fish, but I wouldn't like it if that occured everytime. I have never been in a fishing compition and don't see myself ever being in one because the nature of most people is acceptable until you get them going against one another and doing anything necessary to win and that sounds like it could get ugly to me. Sometimes the fishing isn't good so I just leave the fish stuff at the creek and ease into the woods to see what else nature has to offer. Mikechell, I just realized that I miscounted and I need to add 3 or 4 zeros to every number that I wrote.....Take Care, Tony

only time i keep track of how many I catch is when I am fishing with the Mrs., and thats just because I know she will be counting hers.

I have a journal that I keep for certain fishing trips, usually has to be more than a couple hours, on a new or significant (to me) stream or with new or significant (to me) fishing buddies. Even in that I dont keep track other than a description such as "no fish" or "many fish". If i had a special fish I might record it.

I have a "Rite in the Rain" flats fishing journal. I keep records of my trips, what I caught, biggest, temp, etc. I find it fun to go back and see some of my good days and not so good days of fishing.

I'm not real serious (I don't write a Novel) but I definitely track some of my salty fishing experiences.

We built a little trophy that gets awarded at Christmas every year. Its a friendly little challenge between two pairs of guys. My brother in law and I against our now 15 year old sons. The number of fish, with no regards to size, is the name of the game. Highest total wins. Its a fun little contest focused mostly on getting us all out together frequently. A good way to teach the boys some things. So I guess we keep a yearly tally....

I usually keep track of how many i catch while im fishing, but once i get home it doesnt matter any more..you either enjoyed being out or you didnt.in the end numbers are pointless unless your doing a study on somthing

We built a little trophy that gets awarded at Christmas every year. Its a friendly little challenge between two pairs of guys. My brother in law and I against our now 15 year old sons. The number of fish, with no regards to size, is the name of the game. Highest total wins. Its a fun little contest focused mostly on getting us all out together frequently. A good way to teach the boys some things. So I guess we keep a yearly tally....

I dont know if this would work in our family or not, we have too many different styles. My two sons are polar opposite - oldest (14) wants to catch LOTS of fish, size and species dont matter. Youngest (11) is a trophy kid, he doesnt catch many but most are big. Daughter (in the middle at 13) just wants to beat the boys. Wife is a composite of all three - she wants LOTS of BIG fish and MORE than me. Me? I am just happy to be on the water, big fish are cool, lots of fish are cool, even no fish can still be a good day.

Ah Joe you say that but you have only given in to being beaten by your wife, sons and daughter and now console yourself that you are happy with your lot. I suffer the same delusions unfortunately and my kids aren't even old enough to be holding a rod yet.

Ah Joe you say that but you have only given in to being beaten by your wife, sons and daughter and now console yourself that you are happy with your lot. I suffer the same delusions unfortunately and my kids aren't even old enough to be holding a rod yet.

Not completely, while accurate records were not kept over the summer I am confident that I was the clear leader. Counting all forms of fishing - fly and spin, I had the most and largest small mouth, most and largest trout, most and largest (well only) carp and largest panfish and most musky follows. The oldest probably caught more panfish than i did. I spend a lot more time on the water than the rest so I can more easily endure an off day here or there.