Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Dubbing brush barring

By adding short pieces of material, you can get a nice barring effect within your dubbing brush. This is the soft and supple faux fox material that I've come to like for my dubbing brushes.

Kirk

Setting up dubbing brush.

DSC_0038-1.jpg

Spun three times teasing out between each time to make a nice tightly twisted brush.

DSC_0039-2.jpg

Brush removed from twister. Here is the White/blue barred and a Tan/black barred.

DSC_0040-3.jpg

Foxy Glider tied with blue barred brush.

DSC_0043-4.jpg

I believe Kirk just showed us an example of what this site is about..sharing of knowledge and technique. I NEVER would have thought of that...Thank you!

Murray

Rolsen, thanks. I don't know about genius - just to many late nights thinking of shit instead of falling asleep!

Thanks AGN, Nor, and Coin.

Lykos, thanks. Sharing is how I learned alot of what I know even before the internet.

Pike, exactly why I came up with that. Its easier to make the barring with markers but this is permanent and it looks really cool veiled in the lighter color, almost skeletal.

Panama, thanks. I just wish that was really the sound of a cash register.

Thanks again and good luck trying this yourself,

Kirk

Guest rich mc

those look so natural. guess it could also be done with some flash material . your on a roll kirk ,dont stop rich mc

That is slick. I have been thinking about trying to duplicate your dubbing twister. I guess I am going to have to really get down to it. I like the way the table drops out of the way for twisting. It is going to need to warm up some though. The ole ShopSmith does not like to run when it is this cold in my unheated shop.

I need to start making dubbing brushes. Everytime I see one your creations kurt I wonder why I haven't yet.

Ditz, thanks. I'm getting ready to redo that twister that I have. I don't like the motor and the rubber gaskets and belts have already dryrotted. I still use it but turn the ends by hand. I'm going to remake it with handles on the disks on the end, maybe even use a little old Zebco 202 that I have hanging around. Also, I'm going to use roller blade bushings like the Turbo Twister that I saw plans for.

Chef - get to it!

Kirk