Fly Tying
SILKHDH

The Vises I Made

mvendon,,,,, Actually I would feel a little bad to copy a LAW. A true story. There is a company CAE engineering that makes a law copy right now. I wrote Lawerance to tell him and he told me that it is a little more sloppy in the fine tuning and the finish work was not as good. I have seen others write that they would defend the quality of this CAE vise. Lawerance also told me when this person set up a booth at some fly tying symposium "SOME WHERE I DON'T REMEMBER" the people asked him to leave. They obviously did not appreciate the copying of Lawerance's vise. And it is a very close copy!!! At least in the looks department. I have to say when I talked to him he did say "he might make maybe one or two a year" But I wouldn't count on it. I would like to fill that nitch. But would be even cooler if Lawerance backed me with his approval. And I can assure you,, these vises are machined within .001- .002 thousands of an inch where nessesary. I know, I made them.

petelangeven, I don't think the main axle of the Original Nor-Vise is the same diameter as mine. I have never seen a real Nor-Vise up close in my life. Never touched one. This was just my version of Norm's awsome design. I had to make one after watching Norm demonstrate this vise on You-Tube. For anyone who hasn't watched them, you need too. It was amasing.

Fast, super fast.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SILKHDH" data-cid="535232" data-time="1359848970"><p>

Bugsy, The art behind the law vise is simplicity. Actually a simple design when you look at it. His best quality is ,he went outside the box. No jaws look or act like his. Why others don't use it. Well there is some hand work involved. I supose CNC equipment could make the jaws. But he fine tuned by hand. I have e-mailed Lawerance myself. His main cost was in the detail. Fine tuning, polishing. The hand work. No machine can do that. Trust me I know. I am a design engineer for a machine company and CNC can't do everything.</p></blockquote>

Thanks for replying. I now recall that the other individual that posted his build-up of his LAW clone did comment on how much work went into the jaws. Extensive shaping and hand filing.

I can't say how happy I am right now. Thanks guys. I live in Kansas for crying-out-loud. 99 percent of the population here don't know what a fly vise is. The other one percent don't care.

Is nice to get compliments from people in-the-know. Ya know. Thanks again.

This is the first vise I made. It is a Abel / Mongoose hybrid.

Body like an Abel, jaws like a Mongoose. All 6061 Aluminum, and stanless steel. The jaws are D-2 tool steel hardened to 56-58 rockwell,

then peen blasted, hard chromed, peen blasted again, and chromed again. Indusrial chrome not bumper chrome. Hard as hell. Never rust.

The holigen light, magnifier, are made by me ,as is all parts you see.

All made on a hand controled mill, not cnc. All engravings are done on mill and filled with black enamel.

My question is how much will it cost me to get one.

Kevin

Thanks again, I made them where I work in the machine shop using the mill and lathe there. I would be there from 8:00 in the morning till 3;00 the following morning some times. Never kept track of the time they took. When I get started on something I just want to get it done as soon as I can.. Notice I said as soon as I can,, not as fast as I can..I will tell you there would be cusing and swearing and metal would fly accross the shop when I screwed up a piece I already spent hours working on, LOL,,, I wanted them to be perfect.. or as close as possible.. As Jessie James "the bike builder" says........Its either perfect or its crap!......No they're not perfect.. ..nothing truely is....but friken close..LOL... Being a perfectionist is a CURSE,,,,,It gives you high blood pressure,,,,,Ya know!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,LOL

Fantastic job Silkhdh,

Do you have any CAD drawings of the vises, I'd love to have a go at making one.

Cheers

Neil