Fly Tying
mikechell

The animals tying materials come from.

Ok so swords and eyes are two different feathers.

sword

post-42518-0-21378800-1360604454_thumb.jpg

eye

post-42518-0-11744500-1360604472_thumb.jpg

The sword can be tied in as a wing on streamers. The sword can also be used as a collar hackle type on larger flies.

The eye provides you with peacock herl. You strip off the herl (the feather strands coming off the main quill) and can use this for bodies and wing toppings and tails on hundreds of different patterns. Herl can be fragile but I have found the best comes on the eye and not separate as strung herl.

Fibers from the swords are used as tailing material on lots of flies...try the data base and search functions for a few examples

Murray

We are going to need a whole new thread and maybe a forum if we are going to discuss what maribou iswhere it comes from, how it got it's name, nickname and the Latin species name for the birds:).

Black dog

What about the Marbou Stork? Thats where it originated. Now it's primarily turkey and chicken. The reason I know this obscure fact was back from my college days at Villanova. My buddies and i would get a full load on and drive into Philly. Back then the drinking age in PA was 21 and were i came from it wasc18, so i did not know how to drive anyother way. There was this place called the Trock or maybe Troc and was featured as the last burlesque house in the U.S. The "performers", who we're true artists, wore only a feather boa made from the marabou stork. I am here to tell you today that I had hand examined many of these boas and indeed they came from a bird know as a stork becase they smelled like one. I can also tell you that the marabou at the Trock seemed to be more expensive. I think it was the special perfume they treated it with:).

My friend picked a dead skunk up off the road (frozen) he wanted to practice his taxidermy skills. He got distracted and left it in the truck, the next day his wife drove the truck she likes the heater on high! Might not be the best road kill to pick up.

I turkey hunt and they definitely have some marabou.

Nopes, chocolate comes from Marabou.

And maple syrup!

My latest tying material comes from the goofy looking bird. Blue eared pheasant.

blue-eared+pheasant.jpg

While not true synthetics, these creatures can provide a wide range of hair colors to work with. The natural colors, and semi-naturals are relatively easy to find.

Very rare, but extremely desirable, are the mutli-color phases of this attractive creature.

The object is to seek out and utilize as many different hair color phases as possible. It is possible to find some of the more attractive creatures in very wide color variances.

Remember, it is catch and release only with these creatures. Collect desired color samples and release the beauty back into the wild. They have amazing resilience, and will grow new hair, sometimes with even more beautiful coloration.

And for the lady tiers ... the male of the species also ...