Fly Tying
Alex C.

How long does it take you to tie a fly?

How long does it take you, on avg., to tie a dry fly? What about nymphs, etc.?  

406 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On average: 2-5 minutes.

But If im not familiar with the pattern around 8-10.

Fancy streamers I spend up to 40 minutes on with all the different body parts, and perfect wraps.

It realy depends on which fly I am tying. Some can be about a minute, but I tie a tandem bass popper that is nearly 30 minutes apiece.

The more of a pattern I tie the faster it becomes.

Crappie

Something really simple like a CDC & Elk... about 3 minutes.

Most patterns involving a few elements like tail, body, wing, thorax, collar, wingcase, etc. (pass lake, Adams, bwo, EHC, buggers, etc.) it's a solid 6 minutes after I get into it and the materials organized.

It all depends on the fly....

For instance, something simple like a hare's ear nymph or a woolly booger... about 2 minutes, a standard dry fly about 5-6 minutes, a feather wing streamer with tinsel or floss body and ribbing maybe 10 minutes. A hair wing salmon fly, about 20 minutes.And a full dress Atlantic salmon fly anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours depending on the pattern.

These are assuming the materials are already laid out and ready to go.And this is for an "average" fly... nothing that I spend extra time with such as a show case type fly.

:yahoo: some drys I can do in about 2-3 min. But If its Dragon, Damsel. or some kind of stimulator it takes about

6-10 Min to Ty!!!

Great question!! :headbang:

tyrite (Glan Dayton)

I like to kick back and relax when I'm tying. Smoke a butt, sip a drink, pet the cat, etc etc etc. But when I gotta go, I can knock out 14 Wonder Wings an hour. But when that happens, tying becomes more of a job. Then it's not fun anymore. <_<

Most patterns 4-8 min. for the easy to medium flys. Complicated patterns that I have never tied before may take 40 min for the first, 30 for the second and 20 for a third and so on. But I have only been tying a couple of years and still consider myself a beginner.

But, don't worry about the time just have fun and tie, before you know it you will be a lot faster.

Honestly it depends on what type of fly you are tying.

if you are tying one you have never tied before it may take you longer than a fly you have tied a zillion times.

it all depends.

Charlie :ph34r:

It depends which fly it is. Less than a minute to 4 hours.

hard to really say because of all the different patterns. But if your just talkin a basic dry fly like say a Adams then somewhere around 8-10 mins for me.
with all materials at hand a standard upright divided dry takes me around 10-fifteen minutes.A wooly about 2-3 minutes.A dave's hopper about 35 min.One of my bug skin stonefly nymphs about 50 minutes.A foam ant with legsa 5-10 minutes.Like has been said,different for every tie.If u r looking for speed.RANDALL KAUFMANS fly tyers nymph manual,suggest keeping a clean work area,get used to keeping ure scissors in your hand,making wing cases,legs,and spooling different boobins with different color thread,ahead of time.Also use just enuff thread raps to hold ,don't over do it.

shane

The only time I measure speed is on commercial patterns, so I can tell how much I make in an hour. Hackle tipped wings like an Adams, less than 2 min. Gold ribbed hairs ear less than 45 seconds. Hair wings like a Royal Wulff or Humpy, about 2 min. 30 sec. A Royal Wulff for framing about 10 min. Speed comes with organization and having all your materials out and prepped. One Saturday I spent 9 hours separating 50 saddles into sizes for an order. The most important rule is that they are durable and well proportioned every time. I use a lot of tape for example I stack enough moose hair for about 100 flies on a length of duct tape. I looks like a big comb, which the hair length extends off the tape just longer than I want for each fly, I tape it to the bottom front edge of my bench, so I can cut just what I need very quickly. I do this with hooks too, using scotch tape I stick just enough of the eye to the tape, so it holds; that way I can grab the hook bend without even looking down at the hooks. Full Dress Atlantic salmon flies, between 30 min to a couple hours, but those are tied by ones, not hundreds of dozens. One time I sectioned 100 feet of bead chain eyes for a Crazy Charlie order.

Each cocktail doubles my time :-)

I guess my main comment is tying really fast and sacrificing quality is kind of like a hot dog eating contest. Yes, someone can eat 50 dogs in 10 minutes, but how do they really feel afterwards.

Happy Tying, Cheers, Futzer