Fly Tying
Alex C.

How long does it take you to tie a fly?

How long does it take you, on avg., to tie a dry fly? What about nymphs, etc.?  

406 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

my first flies took about 2 hours each including a brassie a poly something and a pheasant tail now it takes me about 15 per fly

I am in the same boat..... when I first started it was about 20 mins for a wooly bugger, and now I can do it in about 5 if the materials are laid out. I just moved on to nymphs, which it was taking 20 mins for a PT and now maybe 12-15.... still need work on the presentation lol..... this school I am currently in is not helping the situation.... no time to tie... its over next week though so I can get back into it and practice again.

That's a hard question, buggers are 2 mins, dries are about 5 but if I'm tying salmon fly 45 plus, right now I'm doing some epoxy minnows and between doing the main body and then epoxy then the 4 strand floos seperation for the veins I'm at about 2 hours into each with waiting between layers drying. Then theirs always the problem of getting halfway through and realizing I'm short a material.... Those turn into 6 hour flies as the nearest shop is an hour and a half away...

Depends on the fly, of course. If you look at the professional tying videos, it takes them several minutes to turn out perfect flies. When they're not demonstrating, I assume it takes these pros a lot less time.

For me, it generally takes more time to prepare the materials than to tie the fly. Just tied up a number of Prince Nymphs, took me longer to wreap the lead and seperate the tails/horns than to tie the fly.

Most dry flies take about 3 minutes. Easy ones like an x-caddis or a sparkle dun I can do a dozen in half an hour pretty easily. More complicated ones like a stimulator or a parachute adams might take 45 minutes per dozen. The key to speed, as anyone who has tied commercially can tell you, is having all the materials laid out before you start.

Full dress Atlantic salmon flies take 2-6 hours. - especially ones with married wings.

dries take about 5 mins, most nymphs are 2-3 mins and full dress is a few hours to a couple days.

I work in a deadline-driven industry. I tie flies to relax. So I don't time myself, but certainly most flies I can tie in under 10 minutes. I stick mainly to fairly simple patterns for trout, steelhead and bass.

I am a noob and it takes a varied amount of time because I am not usung a pattern, just kinda making them up as I go. I have found this to be the best way for me to learn most anything. When I get a little better I will begin tying 6 or 8 of one kind at a time. I think that is the real basis for tying more quickly. Of course, remember I am a noob, I could be wrong.

Roland,

My only concern with a beginner tying "freestyle" is it not giving you a chance to learn necessary techniques. I understand about wanting to "get there". I had the same problem. I still have trouble tying more than about 3 flies without changing something. The few swaps I have been in were a real test of my will vs my ADD, lol.

Choose an easy fly, say a Pheasant Tail (PT) Nymph, and tie at least 3 of them. Then do 3 Gold-Ribbed Hare's Ear Nymphs (GRHEN), then do 3 with a bead. In order to tie with speed, you have to build the process into muscle memory. That takes repetition.

Kirk B.

how long is a piece of string?

About 12 inches.

As for flies, I don't care how long it takes me. I've got all the time in the world to tie a fly and since I don't production-tie flies, I've never actually timed myself. Well, maybe once, can't remember. It takes me longer than lots of others, I know that, and it doesn't bother me at all.

Never really bothered timing myself .....I know that I am a lot quicker than when i first started .

I do however agree with others who have posted earlier....speed comes with practice and technique.

Do not run before you can walk !!!!

I'm not shore & don't really care, lot of differen't dry flies, some a lot harder then others! I'm shore if everything was out & ready? A cdc & elk could be tied very very quickly!