Fly Tying
breambuster

Follow-Up To My "Canoe" Question

I haven't decided anything yet, but another question to help me to decide has to do with transporting the canoe if I should decide to get it. How do you get it home from the store, and how do you get it to the lake. I have an S-10 pickup, but I'm not sure about moving something that long in a pickup. Do they make trailers for canoe's? I've never seen one if they do. A roof mount? I don't think so. So how do you move the thing along the highway?

BB

Roof rack on the cab, and an extended rack built up from the bed should work.

I have a Gheenoe, which is 16' long, and move it with my F-150 which has an 8' long bed. I also have a utility trailer that I use. I made a mount on the bed to carry the Gheenoe, and it works well.

I think Cabela's has a trailer. You could also always get one of those small trailers from Harbor for carrying stuff like lawnmowers and whatever and make a cradle of sorts or runners attached to that.

Just type in Canoe Trailer in your search engine and there are a bunch of images of premanufactured models available from stores and some homemade jobs like I mentioned above where you can put your equipment in the box part of the trailer and the canoe sits on top of a cradle that rises from the bed above the short side rails.

Kirk

Part of whether or not I get a canoe will depend on my asking a lady who lives across the street from our vacation place if she will let me leave it in her back yard. She has water front property and we don't. If she agrees, all I've got to do is get it there one time, and from them on, I'll just slide it into the water and go. I hope to see her next week. I'm taking some time off to get caught up on some reading and to get away from the telephone for awhile. We will see how that goes. Thanks Riff, and others, for your suggestions.

BB

Not being trim and fit myself, and older than I used to be, don't take the moving around thing lightly. I just sold my old 80 pound canoe and got a 60 pounder and those 20 pounds make one hell of a difference. If you plan to keep it at the lake fine, but my guess is you'll want to explore other waters soon enough.

They do make trailers. You can pop them on top of pickups - either with a rack in the back holding the back end up or even with the front end popped up and tied down. Hoisting a canoe up there is hard - for an 80 pound canoe .. well, I finally gave up being old and creaky.

Other options you might want to think about are a float tube or some of those pontoon type boats. I have a float tube, a canoe and a small motor boat and I love them all for their various applications. A float tube is cheap (100 or so) and as long as you aren't going far, a great option.

At least those are my two cents... -e

Eric

What kind of canoe do have that weighs in at 60lbs? I may looking around soon for one myself.

It's an old town pathfinder. I don't think they make them anymore - I got mine used. I really like it a lot.

80 pound canoe = good reason to excercise and get stronger. I have a destroyed/rebuilt shoulder, a completely wrecked back, and an 80 pound Ride135 kayak. Putting it on and off the roof rack, and paddling for hours is all the reason I need to stay active, strong (enough) and in some semblance of "shape"...

Use PVC pipe to build a rack that fits the bed olf your truck.

Pipe goe sinthe cargo holes on the sides and then you can use t- joints to go between them.

Then elbows on pipe to make the sides to hold this in place.

Rick

coinman66, what does a Nucanoe cost? The ones that I have seen are more than twice as much as the canoe I'm looking at. Needs to carry two adults. The ones I've seen are $1100+. I flat out can NOT afford that!

RickZieger, that is a great idea. Do you have any pictures? What sizes of PVC would I need?

Thanks

BB