Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Don't worry about your fly being too big

Lefty said it best..."Give them groceries." Bigger flies mean bigger fish....Even if you have to cast it with a telephone pole and aircraft cable, chances are something will eventually take it...fishing big flies may mean fewer fish, but the fish you take are always bigger....it's the patience of the angler that often determines the success of large patterns. Great fish, by the way!

Sure looks like an eel to me. I suppose the long and the short of it is that predators strike on instinct, and they have no sense as to how big they are in relation to their prey. We've all probably had small fish bang flies that are as big as they are. Juvenile bluefish will hit anything that moves, regardless of its size, and they'll rip your fly to shreds in the process. Guess everybody's gotta eat.

I have caught Bluegill at night while bass fishing on a 5/8 oz Jitterbug.......plop,,,plop....plop ......Do they still sell Jitterbugs?

Jitterbugs are great. I had some great weedless ones that I tied new tails for. And yes its a large eel the pike took. Eels are eaten a lot by pike.

i once got a nice pike on a rapala cut the gut open after filleting it to see what the bulge was turned out to be a 15"waterdog/mudpuppy salamander still alive talk about hungry

I agree

post-1597-0-25823500-1369049838_thumb.jpg

I roll cast him once, didn't feel right, thought it was a leaf or weed, roll cast again still there. So I started stripping line in and noticed that the "leaf" was struggling. He was safely released :)

That is the best tied eel imitation I have ever seen!!! Looks almost like the real thing....lol....yes, i know it is a real eel....I used to live in Canada and I caught a huge pike one time using a very large green leopard frog....the frog weight almost a pound....but when i chucked it into the lily pads...the water exploded like I had thrown a stick of dynamite......wow....scared the heck out of me since I was only 16 at the time....but what a pike....

Yeah the surface take is just the best. Still water, mother duck quietly going about her day, songbirds chirping, shoals of silver fish casually swimming around and then WHAM! A pike launches itself skyward as it inhales your bait. LOL. I always used to close my eyes when fishing surface baits cause I would pull the bait away too often if I saw that explosion. I used to just wait eyes closed for the rod to go solid. UMMMM I think I need some pike fishing.