Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

AUGUST flies from the VICE

Hey Chef, what material is that? I see its crinkly. Is it one of the EP fibers? I really like them.

Jeremy

Thanks! Its actually some stuff called kanekalon. Its synthetic hair. SUPER cheap and comes in enormous hanks.

Ben, I've been looking at the kanekalon ever since I saw PJ and Kirks Wizard tribute act. Is it as good as it looks? Any obvious reason not to buy some.

Ben, I've been looking at the kanekalon ever since I saw PJ and Kirks Wizard tribute act. Is it as good as it looks? Any obvious reason not to buy some.

I use a ton of it! At the price you can get it for it works out great. Plus as a bonus you can use it on the weekend (ask PJ).

Hey Chef. Care to share suppliers?

Jeremy

Jeremy I get all mine from a local shop. The best place Ive found online has been Ebay from a number of different sellers. All depends on what colors you are looking for.

A couple I tied up yesterday out in the sun! The red fly is a 8/0 gamakatsu hook and the deer hair fly is a 9/0 gama.

a6ce9043-29f8-4bd1-9d9a-e5cf626f1a9f_zps

ffbd7236-cc8c-4a13-a44e-e5d58f011e61_zps

ca1faf80-a662-4c65-8695-c06ed043c715_zps

I use a ton of it! At the price you can get it for it works out great. Plus as a bonus you can use it on the weekend (ask PJ).

Jeremy

Jeremy I get all mine from a local shop. The best place Ive found online has been Ebay from a number of different sellers. All depends on what colors you are looking for.

Is it just hair from wigs or is it sold as tying material anywhere? Thanks.

just some poppers for gt and dorado's, I hope to be lucky enough to be in Thailand in January

body: 3/0 boiler maker

hook:4/0 tmc 600sp

hard-as-nails coat, maybe to be followed by some rod building coating

post-42348-0-52916000-1375725416_thumb.jpg

post-42348-0-42684400-1375725444_thumb.jpg

Jeremy

Is it just hair from wigs or is it sold as tying material anywhere? Thanks.

It is just from wigs. Although I havent seen too many people with fire tiger colored hair recently so I dont know what they are actually using it for. In any case, if you get it from Ebay or Amazon you will most likely get it cheaper. A local shop I sell flies at sells it but it costs a little more for their small profit.

just some poppers for gt and dorado's, I hope to be lucky enough to be in Thailand in January

Nice poppers. I hear good things about those hooks too. Supposed to be strong and sharp!

Can't get more simple than this extended body with wings: the profile of this gave me some good (trout) catch earlier this summer!

post-35895-0-39784600-1375730779_thumb.jpg

post-35895-0-88832100-1375730788_thumb.jpg

Nice poppers. I hear good things about those hooks too. Supposed to be strong and sharp!

yeah, those spearpoint are the sharpest hooks i ever had. not cheap, but 2 most important things are hook and line, everyting else is secondary, so no cheap hooks for me when chasing the big ones