Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

State of the Forum

I read several fly fishing fora and participate in a few. IMO the Fly Tying Forum stands alone as the all around best discussion board relating to fly tying and fly fishing out there. We have agreements, disagreements, arguments, and even almost altercations at times BUT we manage to carry on and learn a little each time. There are times when I won't change someone's mind and they won't change mine, like the discussions I've had with Switch. At the same time, I believe that given the opportunity, we could sit down over a few good beers or a bottle of 30 year old rum and have a hell of a good time. Of course that hell of a good time might include a fistfight, but that never got in the way of old sailors respecting each other.

Bottom line, this is a hell of a great place to hang out. Those of us who are opinionated through years or decades of experience make it very interesting to read every day. I taught myself fly tying and fly fishing as a kid in the early 80s with what I thought was modest gear, and never stopped. I've managed to fly fish in something like 15 states and 14 or more countries. People who decided to pick up the sport as a cure for a mid-life crisis and been doing it for six months also might have things to add which I haven't considered. I believe that at least once I have been called a "curmudgeon" by someone who may or may not have been on the wrong side of the sea, and I don't know if that is an endearment or a dis, but either way it makes me smile. Thanks everyone for being here, and a big thanks to the owners of the board for letting us be here.

Carry on,

Joel, CPO, USCG, Ret.

I could not agree with you more, I have enjoyed this site more than any other I visit. I have made both real and virtual friends on the Forum. I thought I was a pretty good tyer when I got here, but my tying has improved dramatically since joining the swaps.

You are not the only curmudgeon here, I claim the title with pride as well.

Thanks for your service, I only lasted 3 years in the Army 1970 to 1973, bot out as a Buck Sgt. My yoiungest son just retired from the Navy after 20.

Tight Lines,

Fishing Bob

Actually this site is a haven from other fora I visit where ego and testosterone storms are much more in evidence. Differences on substance make the ball game. The rest -- particularly ad hominen BS -- is a waste of time.

This is an information rich environment and one of the rare ones where pictures show both how-to and ultimate skills achievements of contributors. (None shows their ratty work, do they?) I learn something new and valuable here each time I visit.

Kudos are indeed in order for those who created, maintain, and contribute to it.

Rocco

I read several fly fishing fora and participate in a few. IMO the Fly Tying Forum stands alone as the all around best discussion board relating to fly tying and fly fishing out there. We have agreements, disagreements, arguments, and even almost altercations at times BUT we manage to carry on and learn a little each time. There are times when I won't change someone's mind and they won't change mine, like the discussions I've had with Switch. At the same time, I believe that given the opportunity, we could sit down over a few good beers or a bottle of 30 year old rum and have a hell of a good time. Of course that hell of a good time might include a fistfight, but that never got in the way of old sailors respecting each other.

Bottom line, this is a hell of a great place to hang out. Those of us who are opinionated through years or decades of experience make it very interesting to read every day. I taught myself fly tying and fly fishing as a kid in the early 80s with what I thought was modest gear, and never stopped. I've managed to fly fish in something like 15 states and 14 or more countries. People who decided to pick up the sport as a cure for a mid-life crisis and been doing it for six months also might have things to add which I haven't considered. I believe that at least once I have been called a "curmudgeon" by someone who may or may not have been on the wrong side of the sea, and I don't know if that is an endearment or a dis, but either way it makes me smile. Thanks everyone for being here, and a big thanks to the owners of the board for letting us be here.

Carry on,

Joel, CPO, USCG, Ret.

It meant it as a term of endearment. I appreciate frank and forthright discussion. In my line of work you must do a lot of reading between the lines and you encounter a lot of professional liars. By the way, I am in Kentucky, born, bred and bleed blue, and if you are ever in southern KY pm me and will go fishing or hunting and have a beer or two and a bourbon.

I agree, this is my favorite fly tying site. not overly oppressive in the moderating, yet not a free for all either.

Joel, you're definitely a fellow curmudgeon. In fact, I think I may have spotted you at our last convention - I would have come over and said hello, but I was up on stage to receive my Insult of the Year award. Great post. I've really enjoyed the forum over the years, met some fine people here. Hey, were you ever stationed in VA? We've got a station here in Wachapreague - great bunch of kids.

I have to get in on this and completely agree that this is the best fly tying and fly fishing site on the web. I can't even spell "curmudgeon" without scrolling up and seeing how someone else spelled it, so I will just call myself a grumpy old fart that loves to tie and fish and discuss or argue anything related to that. I just turned 50 years old so I think that I fall into the "old" category. I tied my first flies in the mid to late seventies and would have really loved to have something like this forum to refer to back then, but I didn't. I have really enjoyed all the topics and information that I have seen since I discovered this site in '07 and appreciate all the great folks on here. I am a member of a couple others but I am not active because they don't come close to this forum and I don't even bother checking them out any more. I have to totally agree that the creators of this forum deserve a big "thank you" for offering and maintaining such a great place for all of us fly nuts to hang out. I hope to eventually get to meet a few of you out there in cyber land and my hat is off to those of you that has proudly served to protect this country so that we call all enjoy our freedom and argue over which fly is the best or where to cast it in the creek or river. Kudu, Peterjay won't approve, but if I ever make it into Kentucky again I would really like to have a small taste. I always was a bourbon man....

Take Care,

Tony

Carry on,

Joel, CPO, USCG, Ret.

Well, see ... you are retired from the shallow water Navy. In case you ever find yourself wondering, "Why me?" there's your answer.

US Marine Corps represented here ... and we know we are a department of the Navy ... we are the Men's department.

As for your comments on this site. Ooh Rah !!! I've never been on another site as great as this one. I agree with all the above statements about what makes it so great ... but the general attitude of the people in here is outstanding. Except for the people who don't agree with my opinions on everything, I consider you all pretty good friends. (For those of you in the "don't agree" category ... opposites always seem to make better relationships, no?)

You guys cannot know how nice it is to log on today and read this. For what has been a tumultuous year for me providing this site for everyone to enjoy is one of the few bright spots in my life. Not everyone here likes me and many here enjoy jumping my shit whenever they get the opportunity but overall I could not be happier with the group of members here. YOU guys make this forum what it is. I just provide the platform. Paying for a keeping this site up and running is at times a great burden but it is days like today where I can see that my efforts are appreciated makes all of the sacrifices I have made over the past 10 years for this place worth it. Thanks. Will.

Nawwwwww, group hugs?

Think I'll pass on that one. Group hugs in this pack of deviates could develop into situations I don't even wanna think about. I realize most of the perverts hang out in the saltwater section, but you never know when somebody from Toronto might be in the crowd, and we all know what goes on up there during those long winters.

Carry on,

Joel, CPO, USCG, Ret.

Well, see ... you are retired from the shallow water Navy. In case you ever find yourself wondering, "Why me?" there's your answer.

US Marine Corps represented here ... and we know we are a department of the Navy ... we are the Men's department.

As for your comments on this site. Ooh Rah !!! I've never been on another site as great as this one. I agree with all the above statements about what makes it so great ... but the general attitude of the people in here is outstanding. Except for the people who don't agree with my opinions on everything, I consider you all pretty good friends. (For those of you in the "don't agree" category ... opposites always seem to make better relationships, no?)

Carry on,

Joel, CPO, USCG, Ret.

Hey, last shallow water I saw was with some Squid's wife in a hotel bathtub! I was operational my whole career, I wasn't pushing papers and making coffee for the zeros.

Marines and Coasties have a long and complicated professional history. Most of the amphibs which landed Marines everywhere in WWII, Korea, even Nam were Coxwained by Coasties. Our sole Medal of Honor Recipient, Douglas Munro, received it posthumously at Bonita Point, Guadalcanal, taking load after load of pinned down, surrounded, far out numbered, badly wounded, and nearly out of ammo Marines off the beach. He went in at least seven times under heavy fire and was shot at least three times doing it. His last words as they were dragging him off the helm were "Did we get them all off?" I've worked a**holes to elbows with Marines in Okinawa, Haiti, GItmo, Panama, and a few other places, and would do it again in a heartbeat if they'd let my old fat broken down ass do it. In fact, my wedding anniversary, 10 November, is also the Marine Corps' birthday. Quite often Squids and Coasties don't get along right away, but in my experience the opposite is true of Marines and Coasties.

Navy, now, on the other hand, well, someone has to take care of all those WestPac Widows.... That would be Hollywood Marines and Coasties.

I'm off topic, but hey, you started it!

I commend you all, regardless of the branch of service.

And, thank you Will. There are very few forums in any subject matter that are really outstanding. This one stands with the few. I've hung out in many, so I don't say that lightly.

LOL! Quite a few "curmudgeons" here....not me though...still too young for that, just a stubborn mule!

Murray