Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

State of the Forum

In the early days, things where a bit of a handful dealing with some of the members, but the past 5 years now, it's been a breezebiggrin.png Like Will said, the members are what make a site and you guys all make us what we are. Except for Paul, been tryin to rid the site of him for 10 yrs now...maybe one of these days.dry.png

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="netabrookie" data-cid="562075" data-time="1377875424"><p>

I have to get in on this and completely agree that this is the best fly tying and fly fishing site on the web. I can't even spell "curmudgeon" without scrolling up and seeing how someone else spelled it, so I will just call myself a grumpy old fart that loves to tie and fish and discuss or argue anything related to that. I just turned 50 years old so I think that I fall into the "old" category. I tied my first flies in the mid to late seventies and would have really loved to have something like this forum to refer to back then, but I didn't. I have really enjoyed all the topics and information that I have seen since I discovered this site in '07 and appreciate all the great folks on here. I am a member of a couple others but I am not active because they don't come close to this forum and I don't even bother checking them out any more. I have to totally agree that the creators of this forum deserve a big "thank you" for offering and maintaining such a great place for all of us fly nuts to hang out. I hope to eventually get to meet a few of you out there in cyber land and my hat is off to those of you that has proudly served to protect this country so that we call all enjoy our freedom and argue over which fly is the best or where to cast it in the creek or river. Kudu, Peterjay won't approve, but if I ever make it into Kentucky again I would really like to have a small taste. I always was a bourbon man....<br />

Take Care,<br />

Tony</p></blockquote>

Tony

Snafu. Anyway anytime on the Bourbon. Btw the Cumberland now has brook trout and they are vicious little bastards. We should have a state record from there soon. 15" size limit and I have caught several 14". First to catch a keeper has the record. Stocked 2 years ago or so.

Kudu, thanks for the offer. I got tired of renting and got myself in debt again for a home and some land and can't afford a decent vehicle at the present time. I had to go into North Carolina to find a steady decent job and now have to figure out how to swing a car payment also. I don't think my old Caprice, "the blue marlin," would get me that far without multiple breakdowns and a fortune in gas. I will be dreaming of 15" brookies and looking for a new ride for sure. My dad was born in Kentucky and I haven't been there in a long time but would really enjoy seeing it again. Maybe it's good that I can't make it there yet because if a Virginian got lucky and set the record then you would probably hit me over the head with the bourbon bottle and throw me in the river. I'm just kidding. I wish you all the luck and hope that you can stretch one of those 14 inch brookies into a 15 inch one.

Take Care and catch a big one for me,

Tony

I came to this site as a rookie wee little newbie fly tyer and still years later I am still a rookie wee little newbie fly tyer.. BUT with that being said Ive met some great people here (on and off the forum) and have learned a ton. Not only that I have laughed my ass off at the computer screen, mostly in the salty section with the other misfits such as myself.

Im with jam..GROUP HUGGGG!!!!

I came to this site as a rookie wee little newbie fly tyer and still years later I am still a rookie wee little newbie fly tyer.. BUT with that being said Ive met some great people here (on and off the forum) and have learned a ton. Not only that I have laughed my ass off at the computer screen, mostly in the salty section with the other misfits such as myself.

Im with jam..GROUP HUGGGG!!!!

Ben, what the hell is it with you guys and group hugs? You and Mike REALLY need to get out of the Frozen North once in a while and spend some time down here where ice is something you put in a glass. Maybe then you'd be a lot less prone to huddling together for "warmth." (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Yeah, what Steve said. The FTF has a much friendlier and more inclusive atmosphere than it did years ago. Probably a good thing, since Steve's horsewhip was on its last legs when things finally settled down here and the chief head-biters took their business elsewhere. It's great to belong to a forum where a raw rookie can walk through the door and immediately be subjected to the same torrents of good-natured abuse that we veterans have endured for years. Too many forums (or "fora" as Joel so eloquently puts it) have dissolved into cesspools of political wrangling, back-biting, and exclusive cliques. The current FTF membership isn't afraid to have fun, and I hope that never changes.

It's great to belong to a forum where a raw rookie can walk through the door and immediately be subjected to the same torrents of good-natured abuse that we veterans have endured for years.

Of course, some of YOU veterans deserve more abuse than others of US.

This still the best fly tying spot out there! I don't have as much time to spend here as I used to but I still count on being able to come here, learn a few things and show off a little from time to time. Great job Will and Steve!

wink.png

Yeah Ben and Jam! I'm in for Hugs!

It is a great site, and can't say that any of the other boards I visit have even got any shade from this one... Might have to read a bit more though... Where are the arguments? I love a bit o' biff!

Guess what we saw a bunch of the other dayph34r.png

post-22241-0-03120700-1381206996_thumb.jpg