Fly Tying
Kudu

Hunters Harvest Swap

Riff I always wanted an O/U. I picked it up a Remington SPR 301 off ammolist.com. I love an O/U for any bird hunting. Can't wait for 12/18 when woodcock opens here.

Love seeing the ducks I can't figure for the life of me how to upload a picture on to here. Itching to get out some more. My flies are done but i might do another set for fun.

Niece's husband just showed up with a coyote tail. Great fur. They're filling out nice from the mangy looking things earlier in the year. Going out tomorrow to try to get some squirrel tail. Another week and deer tail will become available. Looks like a furry fly from me. Maybe try to get a few crows for feathers. Turkey is a possibility and quail is about gone from area. Starting to be more wild boar around but don't think there's anything on them for flies.

Vic on a wild boar them hairs are great for antenae and tails on dry flies and also if you get the longer haired boars you can weave a body that is just awesome

I upland hunt with an O/U Citori. I have beat it all to hell in the grouse woods. Unfortunately, with mono cropping and fescue and farms no longer being left fallow quail are few and far between. I have three coveys on my farm that I put in warm season grasses. I will not shoot them, however.

Duck hunting which I don't do anymore I also hunted with a camo ultimag. The ugliness of the gun would be offset by the beauty of those woodies. I used to hunt woodies a lot when I was younger in Western Ky but I no longer get the chance. I do have some neat bands from them.

Vic. I hate to hear that bobwhite are getting thin in Oklahoma which I always considered a stronghold for them. Bird hunting here is so bad that one must travel to find birds. I have always hunted Llewellins but probably wont buy another after Sammy is gone. I have been thinking about a versatile dog some day such as a small muensterlander as I would like to get my boy into small game hunting over dogs at some point.

we have one Llewellin here in UK. You'd think with his camo he'd have been got long ago but he seems to survive every season

post-42518-0-62691000-1385490532_thumb.jpg

Piker

Llewellin did not swipe your nicely tied flies as one might surmise; they arrived today. Thank you very much for the extras!

Thanks Kudu.

I think the Gadwall may be a treasure trove of feathers. Better than a Woody. Not a showy duck but great breast, flank and wing feathers.

essequamvideri is duck hunting done in Maine? I sold my canoe years ago and went to kayaks. I got tired of throwing an aluminum canoe on the roof of the vehicle alone.

Troutguy,

Duck hunting has been fast and furious this year. The state has three zones, and I live at the line of the north and south zones. The coastal zone is with in 35 minutes of me. It is awesome. The waters froze us this past week and moved the ducks to the moving waters. Unfortunately, it ended a lot sooner for me this year.

I have thought about going to a kayak. Acually I have thinking about it for years. I have a 12 foot wooden canoe that I camoed. Extremely quiet and paddles well. the only bad thing is I usually tear a few holes in the bottom every year from paddling the swamps. On top of that, I usually have someone else with me and that is one of the reasons I haven't gone to a kayak yet. That and I have too many boats now. It would not be an easy sell with the wife.

Michael

That and I have too many boats now. It would not be an easy sell with the wife.

Michael ...

Better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission...I've been told the same thing more then once when I drag a new one home. Need a bigger backyard.

I had two 21ft sailboats and a 25ftsailboat in the yard as projects at once. The wife tolerated that. I sold two and put the 25 in the lake. I tried for a fourth sailboat but the wife drew the line at three.

That and I have too many boats now. It would not be an easy sell with the wife.

Michael ...

Better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission...I've been told the same thing more then once when I drag a new one home. Need a bigger backyard.

I was down to 10; 4 cedar strip kayaks, 1 wood canvas canoe, 2 wood glassed canoes, 1 wood canvas square sterns, and 1 aluminium boat. A month ago I was given a square stern "White" canvas boat. The wood is in mint condition but the canvas needs to be replaced. I couldn't pass that up. My biggest problem is storage now.

Michael

I hear that. I tried to buy the old house and lot next to us for a couple of years but the old guy wouldn't let it go even tho he was in a nursing home. Finally sold the corner lot and a house that could be salvaged (the new owners did salvage it) for $2K. Wife said I was trying to buy it just for storage and she was kinda right.

I should mention that I can't blame the guy for selling it to someone who has been rebuilding the house since he knew I was going to tear it down just to add to my property. It was his home and his preference was seeing it rebuilt and I can't blame him.