Fly Tying
Peddler

Maxi-fibbets?

I really like the idea behind microfibbets, the durability, taper and colors but the problem I have with them is in the name... 'micro'! All but the dinkiest of mayflies have tails of a much larger diameter than microfibbets. Does anyone on this planet know where to find some fibbets that are more true-to actual mayfly tail size?

Okay, while I'm taking size, does anyone know if anyone carries large round rubber legs in white? They too seem to be in short supply if available at all.

Thanks

Cabelas has Rainys white rubber legs. I just checked their site and it shows them in stock in large. I've never seen large micro fibets but I have L&L products fibetts and orvis mayfly tails and I prefer the L&L because they are a little thicker. But I know what you mean, it would be nice to have a couple of sizes to choose because sometimes they don't wanna cooperate when you try and split more then 2.

I haven't tried them myself, but I believe the "fibetts" sold by FTD are marketed as being slightly larger than "micro" fibetts.

Dcap: what is "L & L"??? My brain's in a cramp trying to decode that.

You could try Synthetic Quills from Virtual Nymph. They are about 4 inches long and considerably wider. I think they may be what you are looking for.

If you want natural rather than synthetic try using the quill from game bird hackles.

Cheers

C.

If you don't like the width of microfibbets, just tie in multiple fibers on each side, coat with a touch of head cement (just a bit on thumb and forefinger is sufficient), and viola, you have thicker tails. I'm unaware of any mayfly with tails as thick as the smallest rubber leg material I have, but YMMV.

It's just L&L products. They are made in Pennsylvania so maybe we only have them around here? I have no idea what L&L stands for.

post-49707-0-21081200-1387555083_thumb.jpg

It's just L&L products. They are made in Pennsylvania so maybe we only have them around here? I have no idea what L&L stands for.

Thanks for the help. J Stockard sells the L&L product, I believe.

MIcro-fibbets are synthetic fibers from artist paint brushes. Try going to a hardware store for regular paint brushes and check out the fibers.

DSC03948.jpg

I really like the idea behind microfibbets, the durability, taper and colors but the problem I have with them is in the name... 'micro'! All but the dinkiest of mayflies have tails of a much larger diameter than microfibbets. Does anyone on this planet know where to find some fibbets that are more true-to actual mayfly tail size?

Okay, while I'm taking size, does anyone know if anyone carries large round rubber legs in white? They too seem to be in short supply if available at all.

Thanks

The worry I always have with fibbets it that they are too stiff. Anything thicker would be stiffer, and I worry that would lead to flies being spit out more quickly. I'm probably just stating a bias here, but I wouldn't have confidence in a thicker fibbet. I use mostly Coq de Leon for dryfly tails, and would use quills or maybe moose fibers if I needed something more substantial.

Mike.

Like Silver Creek said, go to your harware store or Home Depot and check out paint brushes for size and stiffness. But frankly, I think tail fibers are not that important to worry about. Use whatever you like.

I would be concerned that they aren't too stiff though.

The worry I always have with fibbets it that they are too stiff. Anything thicker would be stiffer, and I worry that would lead to flies being spit out more quickly. I'm probably just stating a bias here, but I wouldn't have confidence in a thicker fibbet. I use mostly Coq de Leon for dryfly tails, and would use quills or maybe moose fibers if I needed something more substantial. Mike.

A common concern that has been voiced many times over the years, but considering how long microfibbets have been on the market and the number of fish people have caught on patterns that use them, I'm not sure you should worry much about that. If they really did not work, tiers would've dropped them years ago. YMMV.

I must say that I have never taken a micrometer to either a microfibbet or a real Mayfly tail. But I haven't found microfibbets to be too small.

The "Mayfly tails" sold by Flytyers dungeon are larger than microfibbets but not as nicely tapered. Or, as mentioned, you should be able to find a paintbrush with suitable fibers.

I'm glad somebody suggested the paint brush option. Lots cheaper. I doubt it makes a difference to the fish.

If you're shopping at the home improvement store, look carefully at the "paintbrush" you select before heading to the register. All of the economy brushes I found at local hardware stores have flagged (split) tips. Useful to me for tying purposes.

Though I haven't checked every paint brush made, those I have looked at had ragged ends, hardly any taper or were so stiff that I'm sure they would prevent many a hook up by not flexing enough when hit by a fish.

I haven't taken a mic to fibbets or to mayfly tales, the naked eye is good enough for me to see the difference.

I have bunched microfibbets to get a size that I like but have always wondered why the need to do that when a change in the manufacturing process might yield a variety of fibbet sizes. Most everything else in fly tying is sized for the purpose.

I use spade hackle and coq de leon for tails now but think there might be room on quite a few tying desks for right-sized fibbets if someone could come up with them.

Thanks for the replies.