Fly Tying
BigRedNZ

First Fly - Woolly Bugger

Hi, I'm a new to fly tying. My vice arrived yesterday and I've bruised the bandwidth watching youtube.

Here is my first fly, a black woolly bugger. I've done a mashup of tightlinevideo, david mcphail and intheriffle's techniques.

ANY and ALL advice and criticism would be much appreciated.

I've been watching this site for sometime (while I plucked up the courage to invest in the vice) and I know there are lots of helpful, experience people out there.

Thanks.

post-51761-0-84606200-1392301898_thumb.jpg

Yes, the tail needs to be shortened to about 1 hook length. The other area you should work on would be the ribbing and hackle. Your ribbing is a bit uneven, and I think you might use a thinner wire. On the hackle, try tying in the hackle at the front, make two wraps right behind the bead, and an even spiral back. Then use the wire to trap the tip of the hackle at the back and spiral the hackle forward.

Over all, a good first attempt. You are well on your way. You have to force yourself to shorten those beautiful marabou plumes. Good job!

Over all, a good first attempt. You are well on your way. You have to force yourself to shorten those beautiful marabou plumes. Good job!

But they're so yummy & soft...

Yes, the tail needs to be shortened to about 1 hook length. The other area you should work on would be the ribbing and hackle. Your ribbing is a bit uneven, and I think you might use a thinner wire. On the hackle, try tying in the hackle at the front, make two wraps right behind the bead, and an even spiral back. Then use the wire to trap the tip of the hackle at the back and spiral the hackle forward.

Thanks utyer for the tips. The wire was small, but I'll drop to brassie on my next order of stuff. I can't believe how tiny things are when you start working with them, you never appreciate that when buying the flies.

I will keep practicing my evenness of my ribs etc, I've got 25 hooks left and enough for black and olive woollys. I did the hackle/wire just as you described, but only 1 turn at the bead. I'll try two next time.

Thanks for taking the time to feedback.

I have no fly tying mentors, and Oxford (UK) is a trout hole with only corse fishing shops in the immediate area, so feedback like yours is really appreciated

You can fix this one by just pinching the marabou fibers, a few at a time, and breaking them off. The problem with the long tail is that it will foul the hook when casting, after it's wet. Otherwise, well done. The uneven rib is because of the chenille. It's very hard to wind an even rib over chenille. You might also add a couple more strands of flash for more effect, but don't overdo it.

With that long tail ... just call it a leech, and everyone will think it looks superb.

I noticed the rib wire is kind of all over. I think it's been mentioned, so I'll just say that I noticed it.

A long tail isn't necessarily a bad thing. Seal-buggers and Hale-Bopp leeches both use longer tails and are killer stillwater patterns.

Try to keep the all of the rib wraps at the same angle and evenly spaced. Otherwise it's a most excellent first fly.

I wish my first wooly bugger look half as good, Nice Job! if your looking for flies to just catch fish with then you've done it!