Fly Tying
PWB

Mini Hoppers/Crickets

Tied up a quick batch of mini hoppers/crickets this evening.Size 10 and 12. Looking forward to some bluegill action.post-24757-0-02668700-1392696690_thumb.jpg

Yea buddy...the pan fish will eat them up. I tie mine on small aberdeens so If I get snagged I can usually just bend the hook out and get fly back. I don't have to re-tie a new fly after digging thru my box for a new one. Just re-bend the hook and put the bug back in action. Yellow, yellow, yellow

Tied up a quick batch of mini hoppers/crickets this evening.Size 10 and 12. Looking forward to some bluegill action.attachicon.gifS1050809.jpg

Is there pattern for this? Nice ties! I'd like to tie a few up myself.

Two questions came to mind after reading this thread and watching the video.

1. Why tie them so small? I usually tie bream bugs on size 6 hooks but will go to 8 sometimes. Bigger bugs catch more Bass along with bream.

2. I've never seen super glue with a brush. What brand?

Great looking flies. I am itching to go bream fishing. After seeing a big Mayfy hatch this morning, I am ready. Unfortunately, my garden needs tons of work.

I have at least a week of back breaking work to get ready for planting.

The redbuds are blooming and the willow buds are starting to open. Unfortunately, winter may not be over.

Could be worse Capt., our gardens are under 4' of snow dating back into last month. The last week or so when I am shoveling the driveway I can't throw the snow high enough. It is supposed to be 40o tomorrow, first time it has been that high in weeks. And I live less than 40 miles west of NYC, not in Vermont like I used to. I might see my lawn by mid March.

Steve

I just bought 2 bottles of CA with a brush. I do prefer that to the squeeze bottle because the access hole does not need to be cleaned every time I sit at the vise. Got it at the local Hobby Lobby and it is called 'Kwik fix Super Glue'......

1. Why tie them so small? I usually tie bream bugs on size 6 hooks but will go to 8 sometimes. Bigger bugs catch more Bass along with bream.

Great looking flies. I am itching to go bream fishing. After seeing a big Mayfy hatch this morning, I am ready. Unfortunately, my garden needs tons of work.

The redbuds are blooming and the willow buds are starting to open. Unfortunately, winter may not be over.

you are obviously a southerner.no offense.but we still buried in the snow northerners have better luck with smaller bugs.at least i do.rarely tie anything bigger than a size 10 for sunfish.my friends on another forum from the south always ask me why i don't tie 8s or 6s.for me they don't work.for bass tho i go big

Tied up a quick batch of mini hoppers/crickets this evening.Size 10 and 12. Looking forward to some bluegill action.attachicon.gifS1050809.jpg

thanks for the pics and bruce for the vid link.nice simple durable flies my favorite

I tied a few similar flies last year. I loved the black ones but I lost them in glare and ripples. To make them more visible, I used a regular paper punch to cut discs of white foam. I put it on the hook first. It gives me a small white dot to look for. It also makes the flies pop better.

1. Yep, I'm in the north and I tie mine on 4s and 6s, got tired of catching the little guys. Still catch a few small ones that overly aggressive.

2. Krazy Glue makes a brushable super glue.

Thanks for posting, I'll have to watch the video when I get home. You Tube is blocked by the IS Nazi's here at work.