Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

brown trout bucktail

Hi I am tieing a little brown trout bucktail. I have everything except the red squirrel, what can I replace it with

Not sure of the pattern you're referring to but in streamers you can usually use squirrel and bucktail interchangeably.

Not sure of the pattern you're referring to but in streamers you can usually use squirrel and bucktail interchangeably.

yep,

Try the light brown hair on your bucktail. Might be a little darker then the under tail hair of a fox squirrel

but it will fish the same,

Skinny

i believe he is referring to this one

am_brown.jpg

to be true to the pattern recipe or if you're selling them, you shouldn't substitute buck tail for the squirrel tail

to tie it as a fishing fly, you can substitute buck tail or whatever else you may have hat resembles the squirrel tail

well, deer tail and squirrel tail indeed are hairs from the tails of mammals, but they are significantly different in every other respect.

Hi, thanks for the suggestions, I am not selling them but I try to tie as true as I can because I don't know enough to make substitutions that will work. I know their are substitutes for red squirrel but what I am concerned with is the shade of the hair. If that didn't matter I could leave it of

Trout can't see nearly as well as we can - size, shape and movement are what's important - If the trout could differentiate between buck tail and squirrel tail, then they could sure as hell differentiate between a fish tail and a mammal tail

Trout can't see nearly as well as we can - size, shape and movement are what's important - If the trout could differentiate between buck tail and squirrel tail, then they could sure as hell differentiate between a fish tail and a mammal tail

I do not agree ... Trout can see an insect on the surface, and eat it, that we can't even tell was ever there. Fish can see better than people, they just don't have the mental capability of conscious thought. They don't think or reason, "Oh, that doesn't look like the other bugs I've been eating." Their vision is different that ours, not worse. And their interpretation of what the eye sees would be alien to us, even if we could experience it.

I do agree with your statement that size, shape and movement are what's important ... but not your reason for that.

I READ IT ON THE INTERNET SO IT MUST BE TRUE! THEY DON'T PUT ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET THAT ISN'T TRUE!

Bon JOOR....

" in fact compared to the fish, our vision is about 14 times better at resolving images. " ... yup, fourteen times better. Fourteen.

post-10077-0-14525800-1395174990_thumb.jpg

Just have to get a good laugh.

I was speaking from the tyer's point of view concerning squirrel tail and bucktail, not the fish's point of view.

Try woodchuck as a replacement, marmot is pretty close also, the guard hairs of a gray fox or coyote. The variegated coloration is probably the important part.

Why not educate me and provide some evidence as to why that article is wrong. I don't mind being wrong if I can learn from it. Hell, I'd love to find out that realistic flies catch more fish...Sadly I don't think that's true

If realistic flies catch more fish then why is Kelly Galloup notorious for fishing very large yellow steamers in rivers that contain zero fish that are bright yellow? Why is the hottest colors for Steelhead purple and pink? No fish in those waters that are hot pink and purple? Realistic flies catch fishermen and fish add well. I personally don't believe they catch more fish at all. More specifically since I've given up on tying anything complicated at all and gone to generic simple patterns that produce.

Steve