Fly Tying
ryveradair

expensive vices

I am new to this fly tying stuff. I did a lot of reading on vises and I was really torn on what to purchase. I mostly will be tying crappie jigs, bass jigs, and panfish stuff no trout and salmon where I live, After reading and reading I decided on a HMH Spartan vise. It arrived this week and I am highly pleased but I have not had an opportunity to tie on it yet. In my opinion you get what you pay for for example if you are a mechanic and you buy cheap tools made in china they most definately will not last long. I saw some less expensive vises out there but I was very leary of wasting my money. I just bit the bullet on purchasing my HMH vise for $165 which was a decent deal I thought. Bottom line you get what you pay for!!!!

Do you think expensive vices such as the renzetti master vice is worth it?

sure!

but its only worth it to the tyer who wants one.

my renzetti traveler is worth it to me.

to me its totally irrelevant what other people tie flies on. to each his own

Yep!

get what you want. as long as you know which one it is. it's not cost effective to buy one and then decide you really wanted another! A good vice will last many years though.

I am new to this fly tying stuff. I did a lot of reading on vises and I was really torn on what to purchase. I mostly will be tying crappie jigs, bass jigs, and panfish stuff no trout and salmon where I live, After reading and reading I decided on a HMH Spartan vise. It arrived this week and I am highly pleased but I have not had an opportunity to tie on it yet. In my opinion you get what you pay for for example if you are a mechanic and you buy cheap tools made in china they most definately will not last long. I saw some less expensive vises out there but I was very leary of wasting my money. I just bit the bullet on purchasing my HMH vise for $165 which was a decent deal I thought. Bottom line you get what you pay for!!!!

The Spartan is a great vise. And you got a deal on it, sounds like. If you've never tied on one, watch the video on their webiste.

My first vice lasted a few months (the jaws gave up), my second one (the screw that held the head in place started to go slack and the head to move) a few years and hopefully my Cottarelli will last longer than I will be tying flies. These costed a few quid, the second one I bought second hand and now I can afford the third.

I guess what I am saying is that it all depends on what anyone can afford

Lots of guys have no problem dropping $1200 on a new rod and reel but won't spend more than $150 on a vice. In reality, you will probably spend more time at the vice than fishing the fancy new rod.

Spend the money once and you will have a great vice that will last you lifetime. I went with the Master and don't regret it one bit.

Like everyone else is saying, if it's worth it to you than it is worth whatever vice you spend your hard earned money on.

What do you mean $1200 for a rod and reel? I bought a Garcia-Mitchell flyrod and Pfleuger Medalist reel for $25 back in 1958, and I'm still catching bluegills with them today! I bought another rod last year for $25 and a new Pfleuger Medalist for $14. I will never believe $1200 for gear is necessary. Like somebody said above, it's whether you want it and want to pay that much, not whether you need it.

All I'm saying is that some are willing to spend big on new rods and reels but don't put money in the vice.

As long as you are happy with your setup than any other opinions really don't matter!

I figured I spend about as much time at the vise as I do fishing, so why not buy the best you can afford. Like everyone else has said, a good vise should last you a lifetime. I bought a couple cheap vises and they only lasted me a few months to a year before the jaws were wearing out. Like most things if I just bit the bullet the first time and bought a good vise, I would have saved in the long run. Best advice I can give you is go the some shops or local tying clubs and try out as many vises as you can.

I have had a Traveler for about 15 years, give or take, and it is dynamite. I have had to replace the jaws twice, but figure that is par for the course with the obscene number of flies it has tied. Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything fancier, and I would DEFINITELY get a true-rotary vise, not so much for wrapping materials, but to tie upside down and turn the hook to look and work from different angles.

I think the general fishing public, as well as many fly tyers, would consider a $150 Traveler a costly enough investment for holding a hook.

Like so many things, "expensive" is relative. Relative to disposable income. Relative to need. Relative to passion. And so on....

I enjoy these topics. The vise I currently use is a basic rotary model white river brand, and it is total garbage. The vise cost under $30 and I'm glad it wasn't a cent more. It holds hooks terrible and is extremely difficult to adjust properly. I'm in the market for a higher end vise.

Thing you must remember, if u plan on using it for the rest of your life! Its actually a really good investment paying that money for something that will last 20, 30 years if not more, its actually a sound investment. Some vises such as the LAW are actually worth four times more now than when they were first sold! So paying an extra bit more on the limited editions can actually be profitable as they are very good and popular vises.

Years ago, I decided it was time for a nicer, more capable vise than the old Thompson I started with. I gritted my teeth and shelled out the money for a Renzetti Master. I have absolutely no regrets!

Tight lines,

Bob