Fly Tying
siestafred

"Mystery Fly" Swap Box Idea....

Here's a new version of the swap idea combining elements of both fly and materials swaps. It may be nuts, but I think it could be fun. If you guys think the former, I'm a big boy and I can take the rejection. cry.gif

We get 10-15 guys to 'seed' a box with 10 flies each (say max 2 of any one fly). These should be flies you already have if possible, so that no new tying is involved for anybody. I know I could easily pop for 10, and I've only been tying for 2 years. These could be flies you have too many of, flies you tied as an experiment, flies you thought were super but don't work on your river, etc. We all have them, I'm sure. Most important, it’s not about having to sit down and fuss over said flies worrying about having them perfect (unless your Type A personality drives you into doing that).

Then a swapmeister who so volunteers runs a swap just like the materials swap, where each person who signs up gets the box in a rotation and gets to swap out up to 10 of the amassed box flies for the same number of his own unused or unwanted flies (or he could add extra if he's so motivated and has extra flies around).

Flies should be tagged (recipes would be a nice touch, but optional), although putting your own name on them could be an option as well.

You could be specific about what types of flies, as is done with regular fly swaps, but I think it would be more fun to leave it open and see what appears.

At the end of the round, the box would presumably be still full, and could then the swap could be started again later once someone else volunteers to be swapmeister.

I think it would be fun to put some of my unused flies to work, and get to pick through a large number of ‘mystery’ flies in exchange.

What think you all?

tongue.gif

let me see if i have this right. i get 5 patterns (2 flies of each pattern) load them into a box and send them out. the next person can then take a few of those flies, replace with his own, and send out. and this goes on down the line.

i like the idea, if i have it right. the idea of sending some type of instructions or recipie with them is a good one too. i like it for that fact you could see some flies that arent listed or posted anywhere, and if they peaked your interest then just take one and pass it on.

interesting proposal. i might be in, i have to check and see what differnt patterns i have laying around here.

It's called a perpetual swap box. It's fun until you hit a weak link in the chain and the box goes AWOL. We tried it over on VFB with 4 boxes and about 60 folks in 4 groups. The boxes pretty much went missing in about 6 months. I know that one was stolen in European mail.

That said, it is an awesome idea and have seen it work. The key is to limit the numbers to 20 or less, have an ongoing correspondence and printed rotation for the box as it travels. That way, if the box stalls, you know who sent what and when. In reality it should move quickly as you would know when it was coming through a group e-mail, would have a day or 2 with the box and would forward it to the next person. The key is that all participants must know what is going on with the box at all times through group e-mail.

Given that, I would love to get involved and offer any assistance in setting up and running the swap. -Jeff

Jeff Frye

You have it right Jeff. As long as everyone is dependable, it'll work just like the 'materials' swap box. Folks have loved that swap.

I didn't get the chain letter thing either....

Guys,

This is a good idea: I was in the swap on VFB.

Somebody just "got lazy" or greedy or whatever and the boxes just quit moving.

You get to look at a BUNCH of different styles of tying---flies were amazing.

I'm in if ya can get it going. biggrin.gif

tidbit

siestafred,

Count me in for this one for sure. Easier to manage then a swap box across the border, and an interesting idea for sure. I think that they had one going on FF.net last year, with great success.

Art

What the heck not that i have enough going on right now...5 swap not including this one,tying for heck i can't remember the members name dry.gif start with k,trip coming up wallbash.gif help.gif .I go for it.

tt

Ok, 7 so far who are interested.

1. siestafred

2. artimus

3. tidbit

4. trout traveller

5. Jayhawk Jeff

6. Pat Carroll

7. flyfishenvy

If we can get about 3 more, I think we could launch.

Remember, the first 10 guys or so need to "seed" the box with 10 flies each so we have enough flies to make it interesting. For this you get nothing back, except the thrill of having participated in starting what will be one of the greatest swaps ever.

If we go, I have enough flies myself that I'd be willing to kick in maybe 20 just to make some room in my fly boxes !

Then as the box circulates, everyone would be able to exchange up to 10 flies on a one-for-one basis, and thus keep it full all the time. That way we'll be able to have additional future rounds without needing to add any more flies.

Any questions at this point, let me know.....

tongue.gif tongue.gif