Fly Tying
Preach

Simplest Fly?

Here's the story of those two simple flies.

When I fished the San Juan River below Navaho Dam in the mid 1980s, it was a fishery that could lead to 50 fish days for those who knew how to fish it or just a few fish for a newbie like me. On my first day I caught 4 fish and I'm sure there were folks that caught 10 times as much.

One morning during my first trip there, I was fishing the Texas Hole next to a hispanic fly fisher that had a cheap rod, a cheap vest and boot foot waders. I had my Sage RPL rod with the latest gear and he cleaned my clock. When he left, I asked what he was using and it was a plain hook with a piece of chamois strip knotted to the middle. Right then I knew I had a lot to learn about that fishery.

Many years later I was fishing the San Juan every year with great success and that is when I decided to try just a bare hook. I caught multiple fish on the red Daiichi 1273.

While bare hooks will certainly catch fish, and plenty of them, it can't really be called fly tying. You haven't tied anything onto the look. Simple yes, but fly tying, I don't think it qualifies.

The thread midge is an effective and simple pattern. It requires simply a hook, and some thread. Not only is it easy to tie, you can learn a lot about how to control your thread while perfecting this pattern.

You will learn to start your thread, wrap down the shank and back up to the eye, in smooth touching turns. You can also learn about thread twist, and how to control it. Thread twists as you wrap, and as it gets twisted it becomes a more round shape. The round thread will build up a thicker profile, and on small midges, this is not desired.

As you get to the thorax, you will learn to build up a slightly thicker area, again with smooth touching turns. Finally, you will learn to finish your fly.

Since the thread is the only material you will be using, its important to place each wrap just where it needs to be.

While it is entirely possible to tie lumpy looking larvae with twists and gaps that will catch fish. Learning how to make these patterns the right way will be a very good start in all your future tying.

Midges are found everywhere and make up the bulk of many fish's diet. I never leave home with out my midge box.

While bare hooks will certainly catch fish, and plenty of them, it can't really be called fly tying. You haven't tied anything onto the look. Simple yes, but fly tying, I don't think it qualifies.

I'd have to agree! But I'm still tempted to give it a try.

Surely the simplest has to be Frank Sawyer's Bare Hook Nymph. Just a ball of copper wire for the thorax. He didn't carry a fly box just a spool of copper wire and some hooks in a tin. At the river he would wind a ball of wire onto the hook and away he went.

Cheers,

C.

Surely the simplest has to be Frank Sawyer's Bare Hook Nymph. Just a ball of copper wire for the thorax. He didn't carry a fly box just a spool of copper wire and some hooks in a tin. At the river he would wind a ball of wire onto the hook and away he went.

Cheers,

C.

Hey Crackaig, do you have a picture of one?

Oliver kite

oliverkite2_zps98138e9d.jpg

Interesting! Is there any head cement or is it just copper wrapped on?

Sorry Flytier beat me to it while I slept. That's it. Here is a film which shows it and Oliver Kite catching grayling with it. Note how much lighter his is dressed.

Cheers,

C.

Edit. Forgot to say. Nothing else, only the copper wire. Two materials would make it a complicated fly!

And you trout boys make fun of the bluegill and how they will eat even a bare hook. You should be ashamed. smile.png

Th simplest fly that I have cought fish on is the "Maple Syrup"

post-46603-0-79638400-1398866943_thumb.jpeg

Materials List:

Hook: 8 or 10

Thread: Black
Tail: yellow calf tail
Body: verigated chenille Tan/beige