Fly Tying
Saltybum

From the Saltwater Bench

That's a nice Speckled Trout, Agn. But that line is what I would describe as a "rope burn".

The fish gets wrapped in the fishing line as it thrashes around and the line pulls through scales, etc. Too straight to be a bite.

They're actually weakfish - members of the drum family, but it's easy to see why they're commonly called trout. Their numbers are not good right now; it's a shame, because they're beautiful fish.

Peter, what we call trout down here are speckled trout, another member of the drum family and close relative of the weakfish, except with less but larger spots. The only place in Florida I know of that gets weakfish with any regularity is the Jacksonville area. I would imagine the same flies would work for both, and the gurgler is a great one. Speckled trout are especially great on topwater, their hit often makes a very distinctive sucking sound.

Do speckled trout range as far north as you or do you only have weakfish?

Here is a trout I got this past Saturday on a plug, you can see the big difference in their spots. This one looked like it escaped from some bigger fish's jaws at some point.

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender.jpg

Andy, we get both here. (Eastern Shore, VA) I don't think that specks range much further north, although I've heard that they may reach New Jersey. The northerly end of the weakfish range is usually Long Island, NY, but there's occasionally some spillover into Southern New England. Weakfish are badly depleted in this neck of the woods; I haven't caught one in the four years I've been here. Specks also took a big hit a couple of years ago when large numbers of them died from temperature shock during an unusually cold winter. Specks seem to be rebounding - I've seen quite a few small ones during the last year. This is kind of an unusual place in that we're far enough south to get southern species (cobia, reds, and tarpon) in the summer and far enough north to get northern species as well. It's quite a grab bag, but the weather can go either way, and variations from the norm can have a big effect on the fishing.

Good stuff Peter, I had no idea trout ranged that far.

Mike, I think you are right about the line burn. It had a matching scar on the other side and it appeared it's dorsal fin was broken along the line which is why I thought maybe something had it in its jaws. If it is line burn then it wasn't from when I hooked it since it appears it got line wrapped all the around it. It probably popped off the hook when it got wrapped up.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, here is a simple popper. Little flare but they work

post-18514-0-83185400-1491059863_thumb.jpg

I haven't been tying too much lately but couldn't resist trying to come up with something useful from these trolls in my Lucky Charms cereal. Although I can't lay claim to being the first person to use these as I seem to recall a post from another website. Anyway, here are a couple of shad flies for next weekend and a little black tarpon fly for the summer. Not the highest quality materials but who knows.

post-50086-0-29302800-1491141125_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-30436000-1491141163_thumb.jpg

post-50086-0-34599200-1491141197_thumb.jpg

Here are a few from this past few months......

Jonny King's Hoo Fly is very productive
post-18342-0-92478800-1491151502_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-83648600-1491151515_thumb.jpg

This fly is 15" long and swims great.....not really a surf fly more for yak/boat.

post-18342-0-94349800-1491151586_thumb.jpg

post-18342-0-08743400-1491151675_thumb.jpg

I haven't been tying too much lately but couldn't resist trying to come up with something useful from these trolls in my Lucky Charms cereal. Although I can't lay claim to being the first person to use these as I seem to recall a post from another website. Anyway, here are a couple of shad flies for next weekend and a little black tarpon fly for the summer. Not the highest quality materials but who knows.

Your kid's gonna be sooo pissed when he/she finds out you cut the hair off their trolls.

Beautiful flies as usual Betty. Is that rabbit for the tail on the top one?

I like those flies Mudskimmer, I have been eyeing my daughter's troll dolls for a while now, waiting until she gets tired of them. Looks like pretty long craft fur

Islander, I think as long as I don't touch the new family puppy I should be OK. My kids cant even remember what they had for breakfast, so I doubt they'll even notice.

agn54, thanks. I should be able to get a few flies off each troll.

Great ties, guys. Jack, I really like that monster herring/bunker fly. I throw some big stuff like that with a 12wt and a short leader, but it ain't easy, especially with any kind of wind. Speaking of dirty water tarpon, I hope to get a chance to show these to the fish this summer.

post-281-0-82365300-1491917025_thumb.jpg