Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jfinn

Top 3 trout streamers

Asking for input on everyone's top 3 favorite streamers for trout. It's time to clean the bench off and fill my boxes. Any input is appreciated.

I like articulated streamers. Circus Peanut, Sex Dungeon and a Heifer Groomer are 3 streamers I always have in my box. They provide good action and cover the water column effectively as each has a different sink rate.

What type of water are you fishing?

Wooly bugger, clouser minnow, and zonker ( really anything with a rabbit strip) and all the millions of variations. I probably should just say anything with marabou, bucktail, and or a zonker strip. But since I have to pick 3 it'll be those.

Wooly bugger, clouser minnow, and zonker ( really anything with a rabbit strip) and all the millions of variations. I probably should just say anything with marabou, bucktail, and or a zonker strip. But since I have to pick 3 it'll be those.

what style hook and size do you use for closuer minnows?

I like articulated streamers. Circus Peanut, Sex Dungeon and a Heifer Groomer are 3 streamers I always have in my box. They provide good action and cover the water column effectively as each has a different sink rate.

Spring creeks in SW Wisconsin

Wolly buggers, clousers, bunny leeches, or as someone else said, anything bunny in white, black and olive.

Hi jfinn,

Mine are an Edson Tiger Dark, size 8 Ausable Ugly, and a size 10 black leech. All are weighted if you don't have a sinking line.

Regards,

Mark

I've used a few different hooks but right now what I have is Dai-Riki#930 in sizes 2, 4, and 6. Umpqua U 401 in size 4 and 8 and I also have some mustads in size 2 and 6. Not sure the # on the mustads they are not in the original package anymore but I think they are one of the styles that Bob Clouser recommends in his book. (#3366 maybe)

Spring creeks in SW Wisconsin

Ah, well then I would be changing my mind about the articulated streamers then :)

On the spring creeks in Missouri, I typically fish a muddler minnow, marabou muddler or a thunder creek. With the Muddler(whether marabou or not) I would keep in mind that weight can be an important issue. I usually carry an unweighted, weighted and cone head variety when streamer fishing and carry sizes 4-10 in various colors. A lot of people swear by the wooly bugger, but I have had minimal success with buggers when I compare it to any of the other streamers.

Zonkers work well. Additionally, I have tied size 6 cracklebacks for my friends, and they have reported success on wild trout streams and stocked streams alike. Good luck, learning is 90% of the fun in my opinion.

Hi jfinn,

Mine are an Edson Tiger Dark, size 8 Ausable Ugly, and a size 10 black leech. All are weighted if you don't have a sinking line.

Regards,

Mark

I like Marks point about the weighting. I usually carry a sink tip for streamer fishing if I am not fishing tiny brooks. Otherwise, I would have several varieties of weight to suit certain water flows and depths.

... anything with marabou, bucktail, and or a zonker strip.

Ditto for me, except I would replace bucktail with synthetic streamer hair (craft fur, etc.). Most of my streamers imitate sculpin or crayfish, since that's what the big browns and smallmouth here like to eat. I always carry half a dozen or so in baby rainbow trout colors, and a few small white ones with a pinkish-orange throat to imitate steelhead smolts and salmon fry in the spring.