Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bighornbuster

Chocklett's Body Wrap

I just got some of the new Hareline Chocklett's Body Wrap. It is seamed on both side for trimming. Has anyone used this stuff before? I have a pretty good idea what I want to do with it but if I don't have to invent the wheel again, I will be appreciative. I've tied a doen or so game changers with the minnow body wrap but this stuff is a little different. Any thoughts are welcome. Everyone is hunting in Wyoming and the fishing is just heating up.

I am going to reply to myself since my post had a lot of views but no comments. The material is actually quite dense and sewn on both sides. I tried trimming it to a taper but found it was too hard to predict the number of wraps in the taper. So, instead I just cut it half and found it worked really well. Not nearly the wasted material as the minnow wrap and half again as long a strip. Cut in half that doubled it again. This stuff is not cheap but once you get it figured out it really works well for the game changer pattern. Much tighter weave and more dense for trimming purposes than the minnow wrap. Did I mention it is also more economical? Anyway, if anyone else has any experience with this stuff, I would be interested to know.

I have never heard of it but that doesn't mean anything since I have only been tying since March. Give it some time and someone will chime in on the post and comment. Its the week-end and folks are probably out doing things...

I had to Google it because I had never heard of it either. Obviously, I have no experience with it either.Sorry. Looks like you're going to have to tell us about it.

I don't know either, but I read recently that Choklett is good for you... full of antioxidants.

Got any pictures of it Bighorn?

I had to look the stuff up. I didn't know Blane Chocklett was the originator of the "Game Changer" fly. But the add for this body wrap says, "Blane developed this wrap for his famous 'Game Changer' fly."

He's also one of the developers for the articulated fly wire links.

Anyway, I've never used the stuff, which is why I didn't reply to the first post.

I tried the Google business and came up with some video. It all used the minnow wrap. These flies however are the real deal. My son and I caught a lot of big browns on the Grey Reef stretch of the North Platte with them. Our guide had a large variety but the best ones were brown trout minnows. That experience got me interested. In any event, as I get better at tying these game changers I will offer up any thoughts or experiences that might prove helpful to others wanting to try it. I will repeat however that this new material is a significant improvement over the original minnow wrap. Thanks to all of you who replied. I am not usually out front of much so I was a little surprised that no one had worked with this stuff yet. I'm sure they will soon. This game changer really is a winner.

For those who may like to try these flies, there are a number of videos out there ( some by Chocklett himself) demonstrating the tying method. The articulated shanks used are by Flymen and called articulated fish spines. They are sold in packages that include four different sizes( from 10mm to 25mm) with enough for six flies. These also require a stinger hook up front so you are really tying five flies each time. The company also markets the shanks in separate packages of 24 for each size. Four of those adds up to four of the kit packages but costs about 15 bucks less. Go figure. The tail is made with ClearGoo on the original but I use Softflex and it seems to work just fine. Also, no matter what color wrap is used, some really good marking pens will be needed. I also found that the 8mm Cleargoo eyes in Wind color work the best. Superglue works well for attaching the eyes. One last twist--I use a little red sharpie deeper in the wrap right behind the head to simulate gills. My son has been my tester and reports good results from southern Wyoming. He and his buddy have my boat so I am letting them work out the kinks in this one.

Look into the publication, Southwest Fly Fishing, Sept/Oct issue. There is a write up on Blane Chocklett. The web site is under matchthehatch.com, I hope this helps ya Bighornbuster....

Oh yes, the Game Changer!

I went fishing in Oregon for a week earlier this year and was suppose to learn to tie that fly. We never got around to tying on that trip, but I did get to play with the pens and airbrush. Maybe next year.

I used my stainless leader wire and round-nose forming pliers (same stuff I use for making spinners) and whipped out a bag full of those articulated links in about a half hour. Can't believe how much we as fly tiers are willing to pay for stuff!!!