Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
C LeBo

In Regards to Fly-Fishing Articles...

Hello,

Recently I have been offered the opportunity to write an article for the California Fly Fisher magazine; but, alas, I've encountered a problem: I know not what to write about. I do believe myself to contain some literary skill upon my premises, but I am barren of any familiarity with literature of a sporting disposition. So this is what I implore of you: What Fly-Fishing related articles do you enjoy most? Whether it be philosophical insight, "Pap n' me went fishin' " narratives, or, well, anything, I would dearly appreciate it.

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

If I had any good ideas, I'd write them up myself. :P

The old advise, "Write about what you know." is still the best guidance.

I like to read stories of successful fishing trips. If there's a lot of humor, even better. Pat Mcmanus was always a favorite of mine.

Stories of fishing failures, if humorous are also good, but only if written for the humor, not as a "lesson".

If you're familiar with the waters in your area, then what type of fishing can be available at each different location is wildly desirable.

Is it too deep or muddy for wading? Good for wading? Nice float tubing or canoeing? Etc etc.

Most people don't have time to travel to all the destinations within a few miles of where they live. They don't fish places ... just because they don't know what the places provide.

Think yourself lucky Carson. Yesterday I received a request for 13, possibly more. (Really I'm over the moon with this)

You have got good advice so far. The one thing I would add is, just write. If 10% of what you write is publishable you are doing well; so just write. Get into the habit. Write down experiences, incidents, anecdotes, anything. At some point you will be able to pull various bits into a coherent whole.

A good article has a rhythm to it. Not in the way poetry might, but it is there. It is a rhythm of 3. I learned the same thing in performing magic, tricks with a discernible rhythm of three parts work best. I don't know if you will get this I haven't really put my finger on it yet, but it should be in threes. If you are writing about a fly pattern show three variations, not two or four. Three sections to the article: the need for the pattern, how to tie it, how to fish it. Maybe someone knows why this works best, I don't. I do know that it works.

Feel free to get in touch if you think I can help.

Cheers,

C.

I agree with the above. I haven't written about fly fishing, but have written technical books and articles, so here's my suggestion:

Decide what you want to write about (first step!)

Then decide what, specifically, you want to say about your topic.

Try to decide what steps you need to go through, as if you were instructing a complete novice. You don't start your story at the conclusion... you tell your story in discreet steps. What do you need to say first, then second, then next, and so on. That will form your outline.

Write your outline (steps) down.

Now flesh out at least a paragraph about each step. Remember, the conclusion, or meat, of a paragraph should be the first sentence, and reinforced by the last sentence (generally)... all the rest is explanatory information leading to that conclusion.

Don't be terse... don't worry about being long-winded. You want to write an article, not a quick note. Use lots of personal examples to embellish your points.

Personally, I'm interested in how people in different places fish, and what they fish for. I'm guessing from your name that you may have once fished in Louisiana? That would interest me. Of course if you're a California native, that idea won't do you much good.

Good luck anyway.

I have never written for general publication so thought I might offer a reader's perspective. Try NOT to write a detailed travelog of some local water. Half your readers will resent it because they think it is their private water. Try to not wax too eloquently about your topic ( ala Nijinsky from The River Why). You are obviously well read and posting here so there must be some passion about this sport, hobby,etc. Write about what you know and care about most with fishing or tying. Your passion on that should reflect itself in an interesting read for your audience. Above all have fun with it and appreciate the fact that you were asked to write. They must think you have something worthy to offer.

but I am barren of any familiarity with literature of a sporting disposition.

Nice to be invited to write and having no idea what to write about man...

I quote you above as that may very well be your saving grace...I can't tell you how many times I've read articles by seemingly "august" reporters about "angling" that have left me thinking, if I had just one day to live I should be glad to have this article to read for it would seem an eternity...T

TROUTGUY...you're inside of it man...that would be the stuff.

Hello,

Recently I have been offered the opportunity to write an article for the California Fly Fisher magazine; but, alas, I've encountered a problem: I know not what to write about. I do believe myself to contain some literary skill upon my premises, but I am barren of any familiarity with literature of a sporting disposition. So this is what I implore of you: What Fly-Fishing related articles do you enjoy most? Whether it be philosophical insight, "Pap n' me went fishin' " narratives, or, well, anything, I would dearly appreciate it.

Thank You and Tight Lines,

Carson LeBoeuf

Whatever the article is, don't write it in the style you wrote that post. Even if that post was a joke, don't do it.

How-to or where-to tips are often a good way to start. These can be short or long based on the editor's needs but be sure to find out what he/she needs. An editor (us included) will "pass on" a article that is too long for the space he/she has to work with. Also, short tips on "stuff" often are easy for an editor to "work in" at the last minute when an advertiser doesn't come through and the editor needs to fill the space. A quick tip often can slide right in to it. Good luck. Take care & ...

Whatever the article is, don't write it in the style you wrote that post. Even if that post was a joke, don't do it.

And this....

I too have been an editor for major journals...

did the editor of California Fly Fisher offer any advise on what type of articles might be acceptable?

how about

a favorite river you like to fish (don't give out them honey holes)

a favorite fly pattern and its history

an article about fishing with a parent

float tubing your favorite pond/lake

a fly fishing trip

yada yada yada