Fly Tying
flytire

what is your worst fly tying blooper

Since I taught my self to tie a I was given some stuff to start doing this, I will admit to this.

The first few flies were tied exactly liked they looked in the book.

Then one flipped as I was putting it down and the other side did not look like the picture in the book.

Now that I think I know what I am dong they still do not look like the pictures.

Rick

Mike,

Candling is used to burn off all the leftover, tiny feathers after you pluck a chicken.

My wife always looks up and gives me that "EEWWW" look after I singe off the stray fiberson my flies.

Kirk

Oh ... you candle eggs to see if there's a growing chick inside. Now I understand what you meant, and I agree ... ewww. I really don't like the smell of burning hair or feathers.

Most of my hooks are in plastic boxes with 21 compartments each. I once succeeded in

knocking one of them over onto the wooden floor of my living room. It took hours to both

find all the hooks and return them to their proper compartment.

ditto now I use the little drug pusher plastic bags (as seen on police tv programs) so if I drop it again i only have 20 bags to pick up

Most of my hooks are in plastic boxes with 21 compartments each. I once succeeded in

knocking one of them over onto the wooden floor of my living room. It took hours to both

find all the hooks and return them to their proper compartment.

ditto now I use the little drug pusher plastic bags (as seen on police tv programs) so if I drop it again i only have 20 bags to pick up

boxes. bags, and binders; i've tried them all. in the end, the package that the Mustad hooks come packaged in is what works for me.

A "friend" was working on a stand at a show in the US, way back when Czech and Polish nymphs were taking off. He wanted me to tie up some flies to sell on the stand. 1000 Woven Polish nymphs, and 250 pike flies. We agreed what I would get per fly for them and off he went.

On his return he told me it was slow at the show so they decided to give away the woven nymphs to attract people on to the stall. Fine I said, I still want paid for the flies. Of course by then it was too late. Also the cheque for the pike flies bounced. These days I take more precautions, and trust less.

Cheers,
C.

A "friend" was working on a stand at a show in the US, way back when Czech and Polish nymphs were taking off. He wanted me to tie up some flies to sell on the stand. 1000 Woven Polish nymphs, and 250 pike flies. We agreed what I would get per fly for them and off he went.

On his return he told me it was slow at the show so they decided to give away the woven nymphs to attract people on to the stall. Fine I said, I still want paid for the flies. Of course by then it was too late. Also the cheque for the pike flies bounced. These days I take more precautions, and trust less.

Cheers,

C.

Holy Sh-- !!! Money first from that day on, I hope.

I had a bunch of streamers sitting on my bench that were getting ready to go in a box for a friend of mine, while cementing the head of the last fly I knocked over the head cement onto all those streamers, some scraps, a saddle, and some hook packages. Everything was glued together, there are still scraps glued to the desk.

I had a bunch of streamers sitting on my bench that were getting ready to go in a box for a friend of mine, while cementing the head of the last fly I knocked over the head cement onto all those streamers, some scraps, a saddle, and some hook packages. Everything was glued together, there are still scraps glued to the desk.

That stomach dropping feeling you get when you knock something over. Head cement, pill bottle of beads with no top... Haha. Still find beads around my room. I hate when I find small flies hooked in my clothes too. Since I tie in my bedroom. I too have scraps glues to the desk. And small spots of clear cure goo that dropped on the desk and I had to cure there lol

I had a 24 compartment box filled with different sized beads open on my tying desk and the cat jumped down out of the window and flipped the entire container onto the kitchen floor. I still don't know how well I got the beads sorted, but it was somewhere close to 2,400 beads scattered on the floor and desk top. I can still find a bead every so often when I clean the kitchen.

Then there was the time I got in a brand new neck and opened it to check it out and ended up leaving it on the coffee table that night. In the morning I had feathers strewn all over the living room and only a tiny piece of skin left with a couple of feathers left, the dog had ripped open the package and eaten most of the neck.

Or the time I left out the brand new sampler pack of dyed deer belly hair and the dog made the living room look like a technicolor explosion of fur.

Or how about fogetting to tie in the weed guard before putting UV resin on the head of a big deer hair popper(happens more than I'd like to admit to).

And then there's that slip when packing deer hair and burying the hook point deep into my thumb.

That's just a couple

Blane

I had just finished tying a spun deer hair mouse and decided to try out my new cauterizer to trim a few stragglers. I managed to light the fly on fire and got to watch it go up in flames.